T Nation

Dara Torres and GH

There was an interview with Dara Torres on ESPN. She said that her German Nutritionist gave her some kind of supplement called AM Sport that helped increase her natural production of GH. So would this probably be the reason as to why a 40 year old mom could get a gold in the 50m free in the Olympics?

or because she is a world-class swimmer…?

[quote]ericbyrnesjr wrote:
or because she is a world-class swimmer…?[/quote]

come on EBJ, look at your avatar, you don’t really think Mark McGwire hit all those homeruns cuz he drank milk do you?

[quote]dk44 wrote:
ericbyrnesjr wrote:
or because she is a world-class swimmer…?

come on EBJ, look at your avatar, you don’t really think Mark McGwire hit all those homeruns cuz he drank milk do you?[/quote]

Everyone knows he was teh creatinez!!!

[quote]ericbyrnesjr wrote:
or because she is a world-class swimmer…?[/quote]

And the other competitors weren’t?

[quote]eic wrote:
ericbyrnesjr wrote:
or because she is a world-class swimmer…?

And the other competitors weren’t?[/quote]

How many other competitors are 9-time Olympic medalists?

She’s a phenomenal talent, and let’s not kid ourselves into thinking her competitors were doing anything less than her in regards to their preparation for the Games.

I just did a quick Google search on it - it’s an amino acid complex; here’s the label:
www.fitness-nut.com/cms/images/amsport.pdf

This is the key to her success? Give me a break.

[quote]anonym wrote:
eic wrote:
ericbyrnesjr wrote:
or because she is a world-class swimmer…?

And the other competitors weren’t?

How many other competitors are 9-time Olympic medalists?

She’s a phenomenal talent, and let’s not kid ourselves into thinking her competitors were doing anything less than her in regards to their preparation for the Games.

I just did a quick Google search on it - it’s an amino acid complex; here’s the label:
www.fitness-nut.com/cms/images/amsport.pdf

This is the key to her success? Give me a break.[/quote]

Aside from her natural talent and hard work, the other thing that never gets mentioned is that it is completely plausible for a 41 year old to naturally be producing more testosterone than her 20 year old counterparts.

Dara wins the Silver in the 50M “Splash and Dash” along with Silver in the 4 X 100 Medley relay.

When you really think about it, Dara has had an amazing run!

Mufasa

[quote]eic wrote:
ericbyrnesjr wrote:
or because she is a world-class swimmer…?

And the other competitors weren’t?[/quote]

yeah, they are…and so is she. what’s your point? she had nine medals before tonight’s race, it seems pretty plausible to me that she could still be on that level at 41.

[quote]dk44 wrote:
ericbyrnesjr wrote:
or because she is a world-class swimmer…?

come on EBJ, look at your avatar, you don’t really think Mark McGwire hit all those homeruns cuz he drank milk do you?[/quote]

mark mcgwire hit 49 home runs his rookie season, far before any drug questions. but that aside, i never said anything about him. i don’t see why it’s so out of the realm of possibility that torres could still be world-class. the tone of [quote]So would this probably be the reason as to why a 40 year old mom could get a gold in the 50m free in the Olympics?[/quote] makes it seem like if torres had used, that she wasn’t talented enough to swim on that level beforehand, which as anonym said far more clearly than me, is preposterous.

edit: and by “used”, i mean in terms of the OP insinuating that she used (illegal, presumably by the tone) GH-enhancing drugs.

Dara after winning the 100m Freestyle at the 2008 Olympic Trials in Omaha

Wow…

People will never cease to amaze me.

In the office, people were talking about how Dara was “hype”…she was “put” in the Olympics for publicity…there should have been someone younger “put” on the swim Team…blah, blah…

Me: "You DO know that she had to qualify for the Olympics by beating people in the pool, don’t you?

Them: “Oh…”

Amazing.

Mufasa

[quote]ericbyrnesjr wrote:
eic wrote:
ericbyrnesjr wrote:
or because she is a world-class swimmer…?

And the other competitors weren’t?

yeah, they are…and so is she. what’s your point? she had nine medals before tonight’s race, it seems pretty plausible to me that she could still be on that level at 41.[/quote]

Because your response to the accusation that she is using GH is that she is able to do what she does because she is a “world-class swimmer.” Well, so are the others, so that no longer helps explain why she is able to beat them despite being 20 years older than them. She is definitely using; there is no question.

I’d hit it.

Yumtastic Milf that needs to crossover into Figure. Anybody else think so? Anybody see the NBC piece they did on her training? She’s shredded!

Omgz look at that hyuge GH gut