Dan's Training Log

Alright my name’s Dan, I’m 17. I want to post a log to keep track and stay organized/motivated. Here are my stats thus far:

5’ 7", 136lbs, 12-13% body fat.

14.5" neck
17" shoulders
36" chest
12.5" arm (cold)
10" forearm
30.2" waist
19.3" thigh (skinny legs!)
13" calf

My goals thus far are to gain another 40-50lbs of muscle, and get body fat to 8%, then maintain all year round.(if i end up 5’ 9" i want to be 205lbs)

Current diet:

Pre-workout: Myoplex, Apple Banana
Post-workout: Myoplex, Oatmeal, 1.5 tbsp Udo’s
Mid-morning: Tuna salad sandwhich
Lunch: 4 eggs, 4 slices wheat bread
Mid-afternoon: Chicken salad
Dinner: Chicken, Spinach, Rice.
Before bed: Protein Shake, 1.5 tbsp Udo’s.

Just to keep track, I’m going to add in the past couple of days I’ve had on my new program with my personal trainer.

Wednesday - Shoulders, Triceps.

Light warm up on 12.5kg db shoulder press

Smith Machine Military Press
Front raises, Barbell
Front Raises, Dumbbell
Lateral Raises
Rear Delt Flyes Machine (drop set)

Lying Tricep Press Ez-Bar - 3 sets of 12 with 5kg either side (was to failure)
Tricep Pushdowns - Straight Bar (Drop set)
Tricep Pushdowns - Triangle Bar (Drop set)
Tricep Pushdowns - Rope (drop set)
Bodyweight dips - managed to get out 8 extremely painful reps.

comments on this workout: Most intense workout i’ve ever had. Honestly I can’t remember how many sets/reps I did with each exercise. I just kept going until my trainer let me stop.

I did high reps on most exercises screaming through the pain on the last 10-15 reps. On the Tricep Pushdowns / Triangle bar it was low reps.

Thursday - Quads, inner & outer thigh.

Warmed up on leg extension

1 Leg, Leg Press (can do both at same time if you want) - Did 1 set of 10 with both legs going at same time with 2 plates either side.
Did 4 sets of 8 on each leg with 3 plates each leg. (total failure on each set)

Front Squats - 1 set of 20 with just the bar (First time i’ve done them)
3 sets of 15 with just the bar
1 set of 10 with just the bar (so fucking painful)

Normal Squats - 3 sets of 20 with just the bar (I could barely stand with my own weight before I started these)

Leg Extensions - 2 sets of 50. (I puked my guts out shortly after completing the second set)

outer-thigh machine - 1 set of 15, 1 set of 20, 1 set of 30 (quite hard but not to failure)

inner-thigh - few light sets of high reps.

Comments: Holy. Fucking. Shit. Having a sadist personal trainer on leg day is HARSH. Despite pushing myself to my limit, I was still disappointed on the weight I lifted with front squats. Took it easy on inner & outer thigh machine, but could of done more.

Friday - Chest, Biceps, Calfs.

hammer strength machines for chest.

hammer strength decline - 1 set to warm up, 1 set to failure (cant remember the reps)

hammer strength bench press - 3-4 sets to failure (was no more than 15 reps)

Hammer strength chest press - 3 sets to complete failure, trainer helped me through last couple reps.

hammer strength incline - 5 sets, complete failure each time, with trainer helping me through last couple reps.

notes: very little rest time in between sets & exercises. 2 minute rest before last machine, 1-2 min rest in between sets.

warmed up biceps on preacher curls.

Barbell Bicep Curls:

• 10kg bar:
    12 reps, bringing bar up halfway.
    12 reps (continuing on, non stop), full range of motion
    12 reps (continung on, non stop) half range of motion, starting from top and stopping at chest level.

THAT WAS 1 SET.

• 7.5kg bar:
    same as bove.

that was the 2nd set.

15kg bar:
12 reps, full range of motion
10kg bar:
12 reps, bringing bar up half way
12 reps, full range of motion.
5kg bar:
15 reps, full range of motion
15 reps, bringing bar up half way
15 reps, starting at top and ending at chest
15 reps, full range of motion (HOLY FUCKING SHIT) - trainer helped for 10 reps.

That was the 3rd set.

Calf Circuit:
Calf Leg press x 25 reps
Standing Calf raises x 25
Sitting Calf raises x 25
did that 3 times, non-stop.

Standing Calf Raises, own bodyweight, x25.

Comments: The calf circuit was the worst pain I have ever experienced, in & out of the gym. After the bicep sets, I couldn’t lift my own bottle to drink out of.

Good luck! Looks like you are off to a good start.

Monday’s update:

Back, Hamstrings, Abs.

Hammer Strength Lat pulldown - quick warm up of 20 reps
added 10kg either side - 15 reps
added 20kg either side - 2 sets of 12 reps
took off 10kg (back to 20kg) - 2 sets of 20 reps.

Cable Rows (Low Pulley) - 4 sets of 10 reps

Seated Lever Row - warm up of 15 reps
Added 10kg, started rowing with 1 arm - 20 reps, then switched to other arm
put on another 10kg, rowed out 4 sets each arm of 12 reps.
Dropped down to 10kg again and finished off with 2 sets of 15.

Lying face down Rows - 2 sets of 25 2 sets of 20, 1 set of 15.

Back Finished.

Hamstrings - Lying Leg Curl, 1 set of 15 for warm up, 1 set of 8, 1 set of 16, 1 set of 24, 1 set of 12.

Standing Leg Curl - 2 sets of 15 each leg.

Stiff Leg Deadlift - 3 sets of 20 (With bar)

Hamstrings finished, can’t walk.

Crunches, 4 sets of 30, legs elevated.

Incline Leg Lifts, 3 sets of 25 with 10kg. 1 set of 35 with no weight.

Step Machine for 10 minutes.

Comments on workout: It was decent, almost threw up on step machine because some dude talking next to me had breath that smelled like total crap.

On sunday I was sort of random with my food, I should of ate more but I woke up rather late.

Oh well today i’ll just pig out!

Man if you want to gain 40 - 50lbs of muscle you better eat a hell of a lot more than that. I would not even consider that a maintanence caloric intake.

Read this:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459429

Make sure you read the articles linked in this one too.

good luck

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
Alright my name’s Dan, I’m 17. I want to post a log to keep track and stay organized/motivated. Here are my stats thus far:

5’ 7", 136lbs, 12-13% body fat.

14.5" neck
17" shoulders
36" chest
12.5" arm (cold)
10" forearm
30.2" waist
19.3" thigh (skinny legs!)
13" calf

My goals thus far are to gain another 40-50lbs of muscle, and get body fat to 8%, then maintain all year round.(if i end up 5’ 9" i want to be 205lbs)

Current diet:

Pre-workout: Myoplex, Apple Banana
Post-workout: Myoplex, Oatmeal, 1.5 tbsp Udo’s
Mid-morning: Tuna salad sandwhich
Lunch: 4 eggs, 4 slices wheat bread
Mid-afternoon: Chicken salad
Dinner: Chicken, Spinach, Rice.
Before bed: Protein Shake, 1.5 tbsp Udo’s.
[/quote]

As Mike Mattarazzo once said, there is no need to be on a lean diet like yours at such a young age. Eat, Eat, Eat and Eat. Anything and everything…

thanks for that tip man, i knew at my age there are things i dont need to do, no one has ever really mentioned them though.

Made up a new diet after reading John Berardi’s article, here it is:

P & C - 1 cup oatmeal, 1 scoop whey protein w/ milk, 1 apple, 1 banana.

P & C - 1 banana, tuna sandwhich

P & F - 4 eggs, 1 scoop whey protein w/ water

P & C - 6oz chicken, 2 cup spinach, 1 cup white rice.

P & C - 1 scoop whey protein w/ milk, 1.5 cup of macaroni & cheese

P & C - 3.5oz prawns, 2 8oz potatoes

P & F - 1.5 scoop whey protein w/ water, 1.5 tbsp Udo’s.

Update for recent training:

tuesday: Shoulders / Triceps

shoulder press / hammer strength machine
front raises
lateral raises
behind beck military press w/ smith machine

tricep pushdown - straight bar
tricep pushdown - triangle bar
tricep pushdown - rope
Bench Dips w/ 20kg

comments: was pretty happy with tuesdays workout, my strength has increased since last week and i managed to steam through the workout finishing in about 40 mins

wednesday: quads / inner & outer thigh

Squats, 2 warm up sets with bar
set with 20kg 16 reps
set with 40kg 10 reps
set with 20kg 16 reps

Leg extension,
1 set of 50 reps, 1 set of 200 reps

outer thigh machine, 7 sets of 16 reps (went up with weight and then down)
inner thigh machine, 7 sets of 16 reps
(went up with weight and then down

comments: 200 reps on leg extension was fucking ridiculous, although i’m happy with myself as I completely trashed it, giving myself a headache in the proccess though.

I did my chest, biceps & abs today. Here’s how things went:

Started off with Bench Press, hadn’t done it in a couple weeks and I had trouble at getting past 60kg for just 3 reps.

I did the warm up with the bar, 2 sets of 15 reps yada yada.

Then I put on 40kg and did an easy set of 12.

Then my personal trainer just straight up ramped the weight to 70kg, and I did 6 easy reps. waited 2 minutes, and did 7 reps.

Really pleased in the big gain in just a little over a week.

The rest of the session was the standard high intensity eye buldging workout.

hammer strength machine incline chest press, 4 sets of 16 with 60kg.

pec deck, few sets of 15

dumbbell flyes for a few sets, then the last to failure, then dumbbell bench press without putting weight down.

the bicep workout was the same as last week, but i recorded it a bit better.

20kg bar starting weight
2 sets of 10 slow reps to warm up.

7 half-quick curls (bottom to just above waist)
7 half-quick curls (top to just below pecs)
10 full motion curls.

that was the first set.

2nd set was a drop-set, doing the same as above then adding in a 15kg bar doing the same workout straight after.

3rd was an even bigger drop set adding in a 10kg bar, but i didnt have to do a full motion workout with the 20kg.

overall comments on workout:
I am really pleased in how my personal trainer has totally smashed my plateau and got me rocking again, i’ve made some really good strength gains.

Also believe i’ve burned a little fat due to the intensity of the workout and gained some muscle.

The biggest thing however, is how I have learned to dig deep and pull out strength from no where, powering out another 10-15 reps on a exercise. I think my body has just learnt of ways of dealing with the super intense workouts I am doing.

I tried doing my calves/hamstrings & back today.

Keyword: Tried.

After doing the 200 continous reps on leg extension, I developed a pretty bad headache due to the overwhelming strain I put myself under to mash out the last 50 reps.

Now if I put myself under any strain later on in the days ahead of that, my head just starts throbbing like a mofo.

I still managed to get through the calves, and hamstrings.

Although the hamstring workout wasn’t as nearly as intense as it should of been.

couldn’t do my back at all, after hamstrings I was totally spent and my head was throbbing so much I thought my eyes were going to sprout legs and jump out of my sockets.

Oh well now it’s the weekened, hopefully I will be able to recover and get back to it on monday.

You are a newbie, why are you doing 200 rep leg extensions ?

Dear lord kid, Bench, Squat, Deadlift, Rows, pullups. Do them all and repeat.

I will give you props for looking of a quality diet though.

go to the search engine and search for Westside for Skinny Bastards, this describes you, and i swear to God it will help you.

I wish you the best of luck, and if you have any questions about that routine, feel free to PM me.

I used westside for about 2 months, thats where I platued on my bench.

I found that I’m responding better to this training regime. The 200 reps on the leg extension was just a one off thing to see how many I could do.

Dan,

I looks like you really are making an effort to try to gain size and understand lifting. But you’re not seeing the bigger picture.

You really need to get down to basics and forget about machines…hell forget about the weight, just learn the technique and add weight to the bar as you can. The time for machines will come, but right now you are cheating yourself by using them.

I won’t bother writing anything longer at this point, but keep asking questions. You looked like a fool starting that other thread, but at least you are asking and you didn’t get too defensive.

Keep asking questions.

I am using the machines to get used to higher intensity workouts, there is too much risk of injury doing what I do with free-weights atm.

I have been training for 6 months, been using free weights for the past 5. I need a change to get me started up again.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
I am using the machines to get used to higher intensity workouts, there is too much risk of injury doing what I do with free-weights atm.

I have been training for 6 months, been using free weights for the past 5. I need a change to get me started up again.[/quote]

learn the important exersizes. the sooner you learn them the better. why do you feel theres a risk of injury? start a CW or CT program or a simple 5x5 routine to build a base

I know all the important exercises. Like I said I’ve been doing free-weight training for 5 months solid.

I’m not a complete noob to training. The only reason my physique isn’t as good as it would be, is I started off in very poor shape.

As for the risk of injury, it’s my trainer who suggested it. The training sessions are very very intense. And it’s safer/easier to shock my system into this type of training with machines rather than free-weights.

Update:

Tried doing a bcak workout today, but my head started throbbing like a fuck after I only did 6 pull-ups.

So I talked to the medical guy there and he says that I popped a blood vessel due to lack of oxygen on the leg extensions.

Soo… I have to take a few days off and ice the back of my head :frowning: