Danny Amon 1545 (Sleeve Only) @198 Writeup

Been sulking for a day so that I could write this in good spirits.

Did another water load, then sodium/carb cut and 24-hour food/water fast to weigh in at 198 on the dot from 204. This sucked and I’ll probably just cut carbs and sodium for two days next time and make up the difference in the sauna.

I proceeded to then eat an impossibly good 16-oz steak and other goodies at Texas Roadhouse: nstagram.com/p/1q3gdPKPM8/
Binge ate the rest of the day and felt preeeetty good by bed. Got a solid 7 hours and slept 7-8 all week to make sure I was rested up properly. Also went without stims for 3 days to get uber sensitive, and I was only taking in about 300mg of caffeine a day anyway.

SQUATS
475 good
505 good
530 good (28-lb meet PR, 15-lb all-time PR) Danny Amon on Instagram: "530 #PR squat at the meet. Perfect peak...this was 15 pounds more than my best training squat and 28 pounds more than my wrapped meet PR lollll. Rest of my meet was garbage. Totaled 1545 (sleeve only) for a 24 pound PR total, but left an absurd amount weight on the platform. Missed 455 on bench at lockout (this one will haunt me, felt sooo light), and 640 at lockout on DL twice because I was stupid and didn't listen to my man @baize82 and made jumps that were wayyy too big. Live and learn, homies. That DL would have given me 1600 and that'll drive me until August. #fit #fitfam #fitspo#igfitness #powerlifting #198raw #bodybuilding #physique #aesthetics #abs #gainz #guido #dyel #iifym #flexibledieting #gym #motivation #menintights #misc #mirin #aware #ascend #squat #tattoo #meetprep #battleofthebluegrass #spf #SBDs"
Perfect start, perfect peak. Squat made huge strides this time around and I was using wraps for my last two meets. So happy I switched…much less to worry about. Will make a strong push toward 600 in August.

BENCH
400 good
430 good
455 no lift, missed at lockout
No freaking clue how I didn’t lock this. This felt like what 425 was feeling like in training, felt lighter than the 450 I benched successfully in November, and I was 100% sure I had it on the unrack. In reality, I have to change my setup. I’ve now been to at least 6 meets using this setup, and I’ve felt completely loose and slippery at every single one. This is clearly a me issue and I obviously need to get my feet under me more. I missed this lift right around where I usually drive through my feet the most, so that’s the likely culprit.

DEADLIFT
585 good
640 no lift
640 no lift
Annnnnd I flew off the rails and went full retard after that missed bench. I was told by multiple lifters/friends to make smaller jumps on DL. But I got cocky and made a jump from 1 to 2 that was at least 20 pounds more than any jump I made in training. My big head saw 675 and wanted 1600 in my second attempt. Better planning would have accounted for the possible miss on bench, which should have changed my strategy to making sure I reached my 1600 goal above all else. Could have done 620 on 2 and still attempted an all-time pr of 645/650 and would almost certainly have had it. But I rushed my setup too much and never got as upright as I normally am. And I have never missed a DL that close to lockout.

LESSONS
455/640 misses: Danny Amon on Instagram: "455/640. Not big on posting failures, but this is the difference between a mediocre 1545 total and a good total of 1625 that I could feel happy about. So much weight left of the platform from poor execution. I'm still seething over that bench. Took me about 6 meets to realize that my feet are always sliding and loose at meets because of my setup. One way or another I'm going to need to get them farther up under my hips, even if that means benching on my toes. DL is eating at me even more. I was stupid and didn't listen to good advice, and I decided to make a 55-lb jump from attempt 1 to 2 that I had never even come close to in training. My jumps were generally in the neighborhood of 25-35 pounds, so this was really, really stupid. My pie in the sky dream of 675 bit me real hard here and killed my 1600 total. So I sulked for a day, ate junk, and watched movies. John Wick was pretty awesome, incidentally. But now I'm in a good place and ridiculously hungry for my next meet in August. Failure is ok. But you have to learn from it. I learned a lot Saturday and guarantee I'll be better off in the long run for it. Can't be too upset with a 24-lb increase in my total after making the switch from wrapped to sleeve only, either 😎. Huge thanks to @ellinio420 @rbpowers87 @iamstephslyh @jenncanliftyou @squatzilla @a_naked_person_just @ford1005 @baize82 @heatheregriffin for support, nose Tork assists, music, and spots. And thanks to @ironmafia_4brosgym for hosting another great meet. But you guys did forget that "best hair" trophy. I'll be waiting for it in the mail 😁. #fit #fitfam #fitspo#igfitness #powerlifting #198raw #bodybuilding #physique #aesthetics #abs #gainz #guido #dyel #iifym #flexibledieting #gym #motivation #menintights #misc #mirin #aware #ascend #squat #tattoo #meetprep #battleofthebluegrass #spf #SBDs"

Execution was terrible and wasted a fantastic peak. I’ve never felt this good at a meet. But I need to fix my bench setup and make smaller jumps on deadlift. The CNS is pretty taxed at that point and it’s just not smart making such a big jump.

OTHER STUFF
My buddy Sean Linio totaled 1720 @198 in wraps and squatted 700 Shawn Linio on Instagram: "700# squat at 198 fucking #stoked as shit. #squat #Skwaat #Skwaats #battleofthebluegrass #power #powerlifting #powerliftingsaints #weights #weighlifting #lift #iifym #instafit #instagym #instalift #metal #spf #bro #swole #pr #killinit #crossfit"
My friend Sarah went 385/155/405 @165 in her first full meet Sarah Cattan on Instagram: "385 raw squat!!! 20 lb #PR !!!!!!!!! After an easy opener of 340, and a second of 360. The intensity on my face is absolutely priceless. #battleofthebluegrass #heavysquats #girlswhopowerlift #shesquats #girlswhosquat #squatzilla #shesquatsbro #fueledbyoreos #dyel #mirin #ironrebelpowergear #thesoxbox #shelifts #quads #blondie #kystrong #powerlifting #femalepowerlifting #strongher #victorydance #lbeb"
Our new friend Kelsey smoked a 405 DL @165, then pulled 415 and 420 in the warmup area after getting called for ramping, and she’s 17 freaking years old instagram.com/p/1q4LFFoo3K/
My client went 325/150/285 and she’s been lifting for 7 months

All in all, I had an amazing time even though I was disappointed in myself. Still had a 24-lb PR total even after switching from wraps to sleeve-only and I feel great about squat. But I’m capable of much more and expect greatness, so I have a huge chip on my shoulder now and can’t wait for August. Check out my training log if you want to follow my journey into squatting everyday during my next prep.

Damn that 455 came flying off your chest, crazy you missed it but you’ll hit a bigger bench at your next meet. What are you going to do differently with your bench setup if you’ve established that yet? More flat footed or just change position?

You were making great progress on the deadlift. Should be better next time.

[quote]cparker wrote:
Damn that 455 came flying off your chest, crazy you missed it but you’ll hit a bigger bench at your next meet. What are you going to do differently with your bench setup if you’ve established that yet? More flat footed or just change position?[/quote]
Ikr? I’m the king of the 3/4 lockout miss.

I played with it yesterday. I’ll likely have to go on my toes, which I hate, but I’m trying to find a way to do it and keep my wide base. I could also try throwing some plates under my feet since my legs are kind of short for someone who is 5’11". Pride is probably the only thing that has kept me from doing that to this point.

[quote]lift206 wrote:
You were making great progress on the deadlift. Should be better next time.[/quote]
Thanks, man.

Yea, I feel really good about DL still. Just bad planning on my part there. Will set my jumps at 25-30 pounds a the next meet and work in an extra warmup set.