Dani Chats: Fitness, Rants, Hobbies

Lower Body!

Leg Press: 100 unbroken reps
This took 3 minutes and 58 seconds

I sped up the tempo a tad and discovered a cheat that still builds muscle. If you’re 50 reps in and dying, adjust your feet. Bring them out or pull them in a bit. It hits your quads slightly differently making this much more tolerable.

More Leg Press: 5x5
90, 140, 160, 160, 140

Those middle sets of 160 felt great muscularly, but not so great in the joints. So on the last set I backed down a bit.

Abductor Machine: 5x15 full range reps, then drop sets to failure

I’ve never gotten a glute pump this extreme from any other exercise before. #MagicMachine

Leg Curl on Ball: 4x10-12
Super controlled reps, really contracting the hammies.

There are some KILLER variations in Bradford Cook’s video. I voiced this recently and got inspired to try a few new versions.

Thoughts on Hormones and Becoming a Cow Overnight

I was prescribed progesterone a couple months ago and the schedule is pretty wild. It changes every day based on where you are in your 28-day cycle. Things were pretty good through November and December but then this month, I started noticing some crazy stuff: puffiness all over and in the face, bloating, pelvic stabby pain, and some other things.

I won’t get too in-depth here out of respect for anyone who stumbles upon this. But it turns out those can be symptoms of high progesterone.

So I’m eliminating it for a few days and then I’ll follow the progesterone schedule to a lesser degree. Or maybe only use it during certain phases?

LESSON: If you suddenly look enormous after doing what you’ve always been doing, chances are you didn’t gain a bunch of fat overnight. You’re just retaining water and your hormones could be out of whack.

Despite feeling like a total cow this weekend I tried on dresses for a wedding we’re attending in a couple months. There’s a color palate the guests are asked to stick with (for photos) but I can’t seem to find anything pink-ish that doesn’t make me look like a linebacker.

This one was nice but it basically matched my skin color and was a little too pectacular.

10 Likes

This is where keeping in mind a ‘BW to lift’ ratio is handy, as opposed to targeting ‘magical’ certain numbers. At least that’s what I tell myself at 70kg ish (155 lb ish?). It’s a lot easier for a 225lb lifter to lift 300 compared to at 150lb lifter… the old ‘comparison’ chestnut dilemma.

1 Like

This is really good info. Do different coaches have different standards? I was under the impression that 2 x body weight was the magic number for women to be considered strong. I would love to be wrong about that! :joy:

1 Like

I take prometrium just on the second half of my cycle and adjust the dose by feel.

1 Like

Great feedback! Thank you!

I find metrics like this are way to arbitrary. Who set the standard and why? Is it set by low level powerlifting competitors (most of us are not this)? “Strong” is relative but it also has diminishing returns when comparing strength to BW as BW goes up. The strength to body weight curve gets asymptotical quickly as BW increases. A 300lb deadlift is super impressive for someone weighing 150, but in my opinion a 500 lb deadlift is impressive at any bodweight under 300 lbs (a 500 pound deadlift probably makes one stronger than about 95% of people).

The biggest thing is do you “feel” strong. Are you capable of doing all the things you want to do on a daily basis along with the occasional tough physical task? If yes, I don’t think any of the numbers matter unless you are a competitive lifter/strongman.

Buddhists call this “ego-grasping” - chasing something because others say you should have that or that you think will make you feel better (this could be material stuff, physicality, education, etc…). It’s a very interesting thing to think about.

4 Likes

Thank you for all of the great insights! I would assume the standards are set by strength coaches, who are able to see what their powerlifting competitors are able to do. But you’re right, most of us are not powerlifters.

Fun question: Would most non-competitive lifters still be interested in hitting a PR if they couldn’t tell anyone about it?

I kinda think those who are number-motivated would. Just like with hitting a certain body weight on the scale, some people seem to get a high from hitting a number goal. I appreciate their dedication truly, but can’t relate to it.

Whoa, this is good to know! Since I never got close to that 300 pounds, I’ll settle for moderately okay lifter. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yes! I have to wonder, though, if the lifting microcosm kind of alters our perception of what’s strong. When we constantly expose ourselves to the thoughts and ideas of people whose main focus is collecting more plates on the bar, you start to view their expectations and goals as what’s normal. This has both pros and cons.

What’s kind of refreshing is to meet serious lifters in the gym, who have never heard these opinions, or the strength standards, or even the names of most of the exercises they’re doing. They try stuff, see what works, get as strong as they want, and then start looking for different goals.

Fascinating!! It reminds me of a “keeping up with the Jones’s” mentality. I want to be more aware of it because sometimes it’s hard not to get sucked in. And it seems like the goal of many people online is to influence us to want what they have. Isn’t that the whole point of an influencer?

I kind of get a kick out of fitness influencers on social media when they say stuff like, “Never compare your body to anyone else’s!” But then they post pictures of their bodies and give lessons on what they do to achieve those bodies.

So naturally, if they’re trying to inspire others to be more like them, some comparisons must be made. Why would people want to be like you unless they’ve compared themselves to you and deemed you better in some aspect? Nobody sees the irony! haha

1 Like

It’s a little bit like this but is considered deeper. Ego grasping is one of the main “delusions” (the translation don’t describe the word perfectly but this is closest) that causes “suffering” (again, no great translation).

I think eventually it will come out that this “influencer” culture has a tremendously negative impact on mental health outcomes. We already know that the constant dopamine hits of “doom-scrolling” are both addicting and debilitating. Influencer culture pushes that further because it combines those dopamine hits from scrolling with the extra dopamine from making a fun purchase.
These are, of course, my opinions and I am not a mental health scientist, but this one seems pretty easy to see.

2 Likes

Okay this is definitely worth looking up. You’ve got me interested in learning more!

I see how you’d draw those conclusions (and definitely agree) especially with the idea of ego grasping mixed in. I think we’re already seeing the negative mental health impact. Great conversation. Thanks for stretching my brain!

1 Like

Did you end up getting your progesterone tested during your hormone panel a little while back? Often times, providers will prescribe stuff without doing bloodwork first, so it seemed important to ask.

I’m not super informed on progesterone or other more-common female hormones, but it’s been a bit of a hobby (between my other hobbies). I did find a podcast episode or two by Victoria Felkar to be pretty informative, albeit most of that inforamtion was wasted on me :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yes! Great question. What’s tricky is that it’s supposed to fluctuate throughout the month. So she said that sometimes when testosterone or estrogen are out of whack (mine were both low), it’s a sign that a lack of progesterone is causing them to be wonky.

So my doc gave an analogy that made sense. She said that estrogen and testosterone are like school children. One can be dominant (estrogen dominance is pretty common I hear), one can be too weak, or they both can be at inappropriate levels.

Then she said that progesterone is like the school teacher who puts them in their place and makes sure both are doing their jobs instead of dominating or underproducing.

So that’s why I’m on progesterone, and I have to tell you, since being on it, PMS is basically non-existent. Consistently great moods all month long, feeling relaxed about things that used to cause anxiety, etc. It’s awesome stuff.

But I think the schedule I was on might be a little too much for what I actually need.

I’ll have to look her up! HA! And I’m impressed by how informed you are on all the things!

3 Likes

A Mindset Hack

When it comes to workout consistency, people often say to change your thoughts from, “I have to work out” to “I get to work out,” but neither of these are powerful enough to get your butt in the gym long term.

Because even people who feel privileged enough to have the money, time, or health to work out often won’t. The feeling of getting to do it can fade over time.

So instead think: “I work out. This is what I do.”

Then you’ll go to the gym whether or not you feel like you have to, or get to, or want to, or any of the other things.

4 Likes

Upper Body

A1. Dips: 5x5-7 controlled bodyweight reps
A2. Banded straight arm pull-downs: Enough reps to target the lats and tri’s

100 Unbroken Leg Presses
I completely forgot to do these first thing, but it worked out because it gave me a nice break between chest exercises.

B1. Hammer Strength Chest Press: 6 Sets, pyramid in weight and reps
Set 1. 90-pounds for 15 reps
Set 2. 140 pounds for 8 reps
Set 3. 150 pounds for 5 reps
Set 4. 150 pounds for 5 reps
Set 5. 140 pounds for 8 reps
Set 6. 90 pounds for 15 reps

B2. Banded External Rotation: 5x10-15 each side

This was an EMO3M. I set my timer to start over every three minutes so that my chest could rest sufficiently while I was lightly working my rear delts.

C1. Seated Cable Row: 5x10-12 reps
C2. Arnold Press: 5x10-12 reps
C3. Bent Over Lateral Raise: 5x10-12 reps

I went light on these. The row was only 70 pounds but I was really feeling my lats and preventing the pinchy pain. The dumbbell work was with 15 pounds and if I couldn’t complete the reps I dropped to 10 pounds.

Ironically, I actually can’t feel my delts working when I use heavier weight. Even just using 15 pound dumbbells for this turned off that mind-muscle connection. But the lighter weight (10 pounds) made them sing.

8 Likes

Thoughts on Finding Dresses That Flatter Big Traps and Broad Shoulders

The thing about having disproportionately large traps, as a woman, is that the neckline and shoulder area of your clothing will make all the difference in the world. One style can look feminine, while another can make you look like a monster who squeezed into a dress.

I need to start taking pictures of the unflattering styles; they’re so bad they’re hilarious, and I shouldn’t be keeping that to myself. Last year for instance, I bought an orange dress. It was a boxy, 70’s-style corduroy dress with a wide neckline, a loose waist, and big poofy sleeves. SUPER CUTE.

But once I got it on, I could’ve been mistaken for a human-size basketball.

So, while I can’t speak for ALL women with big traps and broad shoulders, here are the clothing features that are almost always unflattering on mine:

• Big poofy sleeves*
• Wide or boat-neck necklines
• Wide straps that don’t cross behind the neck

*Poofy sleeves that are off-the-shoulder are okay. Poofy sleeves that are ON the shoulder – thus making them enormous – are not okay.

What does that leave? Halter style, crewneck, plunging necklines, and scoop neck. Of course there’s the other obstacle of having no boobies, which is a whole other topic I’ve overshared about on T Nation a couple times. LOL.

So my rule of thumb when shopping for a dress: If the fabric can sit on or near the highest part of my traps and leave plenty of shoulder visible, that’ll usually be a win.

The dress here is an option that I’m considering for an upcoming wedding. It doesn’t make me look like a man! Yay! Though I have a couple reservations about it.

6 Likes

Non-Exercise Physical Activity Day

I haven’t been logging this because it’s not a real workout, but just to hold myself accountable to getting more walking in, I might start.

Took dogs around neighborhood for 30 minutes, went to gym and hit abs for 10 minutes, then walked on the treadmill for another 45 minutes.

Question for anyone dropping by this log:

What ab exercises do you find most effective?

3 Likes

Hanging Leg Raises (toes to bar)
Ab Wheel
Loaded Carries of every kind

I hate ab work and neglect it like a red-headed stepchild, but these would be it.

2 Likes

SAME! And thank you for dropping your favorite ab exercises!

1 Like

Another vote for hanging leg raises.

I love cable crunches, but it’s getting to where I have to bring 8 pillows to the gym to be able to get back up after kneeling on the floor; who has the time?

I actually like the crunch machines they usually put in the circuit training area. If you find one you fit well (and some aren’t even close for me), I can get a great contraction.

BOSU crunches are also pretty awesome and I can get in a good enough position to get a cramps on these.

1 Like

I really like this one, even though it combines the much-maligned Smith machine and BOSU ball. Only drawback is that the set-up takes a minute.

Chick in the video needs to go slower. Really cramp those abs at the top and get a good stretch at the bottom. I’ll start with a set of 10-12 then work down to sets of 5’s. Abs grow with heavier resistance.

2 Likes

I like that one! I also like using as much stuff as people make fun of as possible, so this is an excellent combination.

Those smith machines that move in two planes are particularly cool.

1 Like