Dani Chats: Fitness, Rants, Hobbies

Leggies

100 unbroken leg presses + 25 bonus reps

Okay, so since this challenge has gotten completely doable, I’ll probably start adding load. Quad Queen and I chose Feb 20th to end this challenge, but since it makes my knees feel good and my quads feel pumped, I might keep at it and add some weight. How much should I go with: 10 pounds? 20?

Glen the bodybuilder is now doing 100 leg presses every workout too, but he says they must go at the end of his session or it interferes with the rest of his training day.

Also, he loads two 45-pound plates on his 100 rep leg presses. :dizzy_face:

Leg Press: 4x10 using 140 pounds

I really want to own the weight for higher reps before moving up. I can comfortably do 5 reps using 160, but if I do 5x5 with that load, my knees will ache. So I’m not going to worry about adding load until what I’m already using feels laughably easy at higher reps.

Butt Lifter Machine: 4x15, then partials, then drop set

I’m just calling it this now. It looks completely stupid, but works wonders.

Ham Curls on Ball 3 x 15, 12, 8

So leg day is now basically down to just three lifts and two of them are isolation. To an outsider this seems ineffective. And for many goals it is. I’m not going to PR in any major lift with this routine.

But my gait is better, my joints feel amazing, I have strength and energy in my legs that’ve been missing for years. And I don’t feel like more volume would do me more good. My body feels pretty spent after just three lifts. Why add more right now?

In the future, I’ll probably go back to some deadlift variation, and maybe a front squat, but right now this is working. My jeans and dress sizes are both smaller now than they were when I was competing in figure, and that’s saying something because that’s when my competition coaches gave me marathon-length workouts that would last 2 hours.

More work isn’t always better. :woman_shrugging:

Since pictures make logs more fun, here’s an image of the extra vertebra in my spine. Doc says it’s the one right above the tailbone.

4 Likes

To quote famed 20th century philosopher Robert Hill

Sounds like you have one to sacrifice to the deadlift gods!

3 Likes

HA! I’ve been told that it’s rare to have a 6th lumbar vertebra. Most people have just 5. But when I shared that fun fact on instagram a couple months ago, a few people said that they also had a 6th one. It may be why I’ve always hated back squats.

1 Like

POST THE PIC!!! Getting dressed is a workout, right? I feel like it’s related. :rofl:

But for real, would love to see what you landed on.

You are almost done! LUCKY!! I just restarted on the 10th - so, I’m back in! I was thinking about the “after” too, because I actually kind of like it. I was thinking once I hit a month of throwing 10 on each side and seeing how it felt - if good, I’ll try more. So, maybe feel it out??

HA! I seriously love your friendship! You’re delightful!

So I sent back the dress that looked perfect. It was just so close to white that it felt almost disrespectful to wear at an evening wedding. And I didn’t want to be uncomfortable in that color all night.

I ended up finding one that’s a dark mauve. It’s getting altered right now so that it’s not baggy around my microscopic boobies.

Well I’ll continue with you for however long you want to keep doing it. How’s your back doing? If it’s even slightly still on the mend, I don’t want you to re-injure it.

Keep in mind, I’ve only been lifting like 2-3 times a week lately. So this 100-rep challenge is easier on me if I’m lifting less often than you. It might be more stressful on the body if you’re lifting 5-6 times a week.

As for throwing on some weight, I’ll probably ease in really slowly and see how 10 pounds feels. If it’s terrible, then I’ll back down to just 5 measly pounds for a while. If it’s doable, I’ll stick with it. And if it’s easy, then I’ll add an additional 5-pound plate to one side, and stick with that until that becomes relatively doable without any pauses.

If I jump up in weight too fast, it’ll have a negative affect on my hips and knees. So I’ve gotta make super gradual increases in weight. Maybe I should change this log title to, “Dani Works Out Like a Grandma.”

Last week was kinda crazy, physically. I only did two real lifting sessions, but spent so much time on my feet assembling crap and putting stuff together and hauling stuff around that I was famished. Absolutely starving all the time. My body was burning everything I gave it, and asking for more.

Never underestimate the power of non-exercise physical activity. Especially if you have a decent amount of muscle. Why? Because muscle is expensive calorie-wise. And you put all that muscle to use even when you’re not thinking about it.

Lifters always talk about how good walking is for leanness, but what about odd jobs around the house? How about cleaning? Or yard work? Bathing dogs? Shooting rifles? Shopping and trying on clothes? Dancing in the kitchen when your husband bakes cookies?

It all adds up. It all counts. Walking is fantastic, but there’s more than one way to move your body.

Always love when I can use a power tool.

4 Likes

Yep, a day at home pottering in the shed/garden easily hits over 10k steps here without even thinking about it. Power tools ftw!

1 Like

Exactly! Plus you end up accomplishing something that needed to get done!

:heart: And - SAME!!

Well, I’m sure it looks great. Also, I feel the “microscopic boobies”, but on the bright side, they’ll never sag! lol.

I am being VERY cautious - no squatting/deadlifting for at least 3-6 months for sure. I’m only doing what feels good and at a reduced volume. I do not want to ever feel the kind of pain I felt a few weeks ago. It was soul crushing.

I’m only lifting 3-4 times/week - so nothing crazy here either. Keep me posted on your progression strategy for if/when I ever get to that point.

Maybe I should start one with the same title expect Amy in place of Dani. Your hips and knees are my hips and back. It’s ridiculous!!

2 Likes

True! :rofl:

Good! And don’t feel any pressure to start leg pressing again. Certain leg press machines can be harder on the low back than others.

I’m so sorry to hear you went through that pain. When the low back is messed up it’s hard to walk, stand, lay down, or even sit for too long… let alone lift weights!

Oh nooo! Aren’t we a pair!? :sob::joy:

1 Like

ATTENTION: Leg press machines are not all the same.

Yesterday I had an alteration appointment and needed to get a lot of work done, so I skipped a normal training session, and instead just did a mini-leg press workout at T Nation HQ.

So anyway, the leg press machine at HQ is amazing you guys. It hits your glutes and quads in all the right places. And you can load it up with waaaay more than you think.

I ended up doing 100 unbroken reps with two, 45-pound plates. It hurt but was totally doable. Next time I use that machine I’ll do 100 reps with 100 pounds.

Video is sped up, but total time took around 4 minutes.

Then after that, I did 4 sets of 6-8 reps using 225.

I think my target muscles (quads and butt) feel this more when I go lighter.

This is the best leg press machine EVER. Here’s the brand in case you want to buy this for your own home gym.

Here’s the link to Christian Thibaudeau’s 100-Rep Leg Press Method if you missed it:
https://forums.t-nation.com/t/the-100-rep-method-for-big-legs/

5 Likes

Upper Body Day!

A1. Dips: 4 sets: 15, 5, 5, 5

I wanted to test myself and see how many total dips I could do on that first set. I got to twelve, paused at the top, and then did the last three reps. So unfortunately I can’t brag about being able to get 15 unbroken reps. Maybe someday though!

A2. Banded one arm pulldowns: Random amount of reps (held at peak contraction) to activate the triceps and lats between sets of dips.

B1. Hammer Strength Chest Press: 3 sets of 8 using 140 pounds

My chest was a little fatigued after the dips. I probably should have gone lighter and aimed for more time under tension with some set-extending techniques. But my ego got the best of me and instead I went heavy-ish for fewer reps.

B2. Banded shoulder external rotations: I love these between sets of chest presses. It hits the rear delts and I think it trains you to have better posture.

C. Lateral raise machine: 3 sets of full ROM reps, followed by partials and a drop in weight.

D. Seated Abduction Machine: 5 sets of a million reps with partials and drop sets.

Why do a glute exercise on upper body day? Because this particular machine doesn’t just make the butt perky, it also makes my knees feel better. Activating the glute medius has that affect, and my knees were kinda hurting from using 225 pounds on the leg press yesterday. I probably wasn’t ready to use that much weight.

E. Rear Delt Cable Flyes: 4 sets of tons of reps until my shoulders felt like they were on fire. I didn’t go to failure, just spent time in those burning reps.

4 Likes

Saw this on Twatter. Apparently, since I drink protein and preworkout shakes and get my hair cut regularly, I’m affirming my male gender.

What are your thoughts?

1 Like

Off Day Mini-Workout

100 Leg Presses with 10-pound plate

The leg press machine at 24-Hour Fitness is way different than the one at T Nation HQ. Your body is in a different position and you can’t load it up with as much weight – it feels heavier right off the bat.

But since I’ve been doing 100 unbroken reps fairly easily at 24, I decided to add 10 pounds.

It was so much harder than expected. I got to 60 and then had to pause about every 3 reps all the way up to 100. I didn’t take any full breaks, just tiny pauses at the top.

The next goal is to be able to do that with just one or two pauses. Then the goal after that is to do it unbroken.

Why do this at all? Because I like what it does to my quads and the shape of my legs in general. My lower body looks a lot different than it did before I started this. And I can’t prove this, but I believe this challenge has strengthened my joints/tendons. My knees and hips feel fantastic after doing 100 reps – so even if nothing else good came from it – it’d still be a spectacular lower body warm-up that only takes about 4 minutes.

Banded Ab Crunches: 3 sets of 10-15 reps per side

Next time I hit abs, I’m going to try one of these: 11 Ab Exercises You’ll Love to Hate

I’ll probably start with the first one, see if it’s easy enough to add load and go from there.

5 Likes

Pre workout and protein shakes are for men only, got it. Same goes for haircuts.

Any woman who does these things is clearly trans, because I’m now determining your gender for you.

In all seriousness though, guys doing things that guys do - IS gender affirming, we just never needed a term to define it other than “grooming and personal care”. The term “gender affirming care” is demonstrably inaccurate.

• Giving prepubertal boys the same drugs we use to chemically castrate sex offenders, is, well, NOT gender affirming.
  • Performing double-mastectomies on girls for cosmetic purposes is also, NOT gender affiriming.

We can’t ignore the hyperbolic trend of this. You also don’t want to see the proportion of girls to boys seeking this ‘treatment’.

A few months ago, a woman was sent to jail after her 10 year old son was seen with a tattoo by the school nurse. She could have had doctors literally castrate him, and there would be no crime.

Sorry, as a father of a beautiful little girl in California, this topic is one i hold close to my heart.

4 Likes

Don’t apologize! I was wanting someone to help me pinpoint why that post made me so angry and you did the job beautifully. Also, your sweet little girl is very lucky to have amazing parents.

Bingo. “Gender affirming care” is based on science-denial and gender stereotypes.

Also, isn’t it weird that the same people who believe in these body-altering treatments also probably believe in the idea of body acceptance?

How ironic. Accepting your body is only okay if you’re obese. But if you feel a little different, well, then don’t accept your body; instead, accept a lifetime of reliance on the surgeons who will gleefully chop off body parts, and feed you a lifetime of medications to keep your hormones from doing what’s healthy and natural.

Body acceptance: Good and necessary if you’re obese! Bad and terrible if you’re a girl or boy who doesn’t follow stereotypes and doesn’t feel comfortable at times. (And who did when they were a preteen?!)

4 Likes

I kind of get what she is saying but like so many tweets, boiling it down to some ill thought phrases dilutes her point.

Arguably, everything she talked about outside the hair transplant is done for healthy reasons or at least a desire to be healthier. But, all these things fall under “personal care” and should be done whether one is male or female (biologically).
Equating taking preworkout to giving minors drugs that hinder puberty (as lifting enthusiasts we all know the risks/downsides of hormone manipulation whether or not we have taken PEDs) is a false dichotomy at best. At worst, this is an attempt to push what she feels should be the ongoing norm without the necessary longevity research on the outcomes of using these very powerful hormone altering drugs.

My wife and I have agreed that if our one of our daughters comes to us and says she feels like she should be a boy we will be getting her the best therapist we can afford, but will not let her take hormone/puberty blockers or have surgery that affects her chances at reproduction later.

In the next 5-10 years I believe we are going to see a very significant percentage of those who have chemically/physically transitioned regretting it.

3 Likes

I think we should give all Anorexic patients a Gastric Bypass.

A quote that isn’t my own said something along the lines of “people will go to extreme measures to make/find hurdles to climb over”.
^I butched that quote horribly btw

I can attest to this being true for the sheer sake that I LOVE being told “no” or that I can’t. Nothing motivates me more than to prove them wrong. I think this is the exact same phenomena that we are seeing here… it isn’t broke people who are finding themselves in need of genital mutilation - it’s those with money (and usually lots of it). They need a hurdle, they need someone to tell them “no”. The problem is it’s usually the parents who are purveying that shit onto their children.

We’ve already seen a number of individuals in this scenario. These people need help - not encouragement.

3 Likes

:dart:

You and your wife sound like awesome parents. That’s the best approach.

It’s going to be a very sad situation. There are already lots of young women who’ve permanently damaged their voices, gotten unnecessary mastectomies, and are balding the way man often do in their late 40s. There’s no way to undo that. And getting breast implants to make up for the natural tissue that’s taken out comes with its own potential side of drawbacks.

3 Likes