Dangers of Thoracic Extension?

I often use a foam roller to extend my thoracic spine and get great results from it. However, yesterday morning a may have forced my ROM and, the only way i can descibe it, is that it felt like my veratbrae that curved outward (in a kyphotic manner) got pushed inward and “stuck” that way.

There was dull pressure to be felt in my midback and i may have felt tingling and coldness in my back and arms/hands.

I say “may” because i could not tell if this was true or if i was just freaking out thinking i may have hurt myself. over the day the dullness went away but it returned this morning and it feel like i have kink in my back i cant get out so i am a little woried.

Could i have done something bad to my thoracic spine?
Is ther a way to tell if this is muscular or skeletal?

also, i have read that some population should not ext. on a foan roller but it was not elaborated on. Does anyone have more info on this?
thanks all

[quote]cskolnick wrote:
I often use a foam roller to extend my thoracic spine and get great results from it. However, yesterday morning a may have forced my ROM and, the only way i can descibe it, is that it felt like my veratbrae that curved outward (in a kyphotic manner) got pushed inward and “stuck” that way.

There was dull pressure to be felt in my midback and i may have felt tingling and coldness in my back and arms/hands.

I say “may” because i could not tell if this was true or if i was just freaking out thinking i may have hurt myself. over the day the dullness went away but it returned this morning and it feel like i have kink in my back i cant get out so i am a little woried.

Could i have done something bad to my thoracic spine?
Is ther a way to tell if this is muscular or skeletal?

also, i have read that some population should not ext. on a foan roller but it was not elaborated on. Does anyone have more info on this?
thanks all
[/quote]

More than likley you have pulled a muscle or caused a spasm of a muscle in your back somewhere. I used to get this after getting slammed in wrestling (on my back). Be less aggressive with the ROM, it is easy to overdue. If you truly messed up your spine/spinal cord, you would likely have sharp shooting pains running up and down the back and possibly to a limb or two. The would worsen with motion and flexion. If it just feels like a dull ache, pressure or like something is “stuck”, it is most likely a pulled/knotted muscle.