Dangers of Monogamy!

Women or Wine? Monogamy and Alcohol

What’s not to like? The headline is the title of an intriguing new working paper [PDF] by two University of Leuven economists Mara Squicciarini and Jo Swinnen. The two note an interesting correlation between societies that practice monogamy and those that drink alcohol. As the abstract explains:

Intriguingly, across the world the main social groups which practice polygyny do not consume alcohol. We investigate whether there is a correlation between alcohol consumption and polygynous/monogamous arrangements, both over time and across cultures. Historically, we find a correlation between the shift from polygyny to monogamy and the growth of alcohol consumption. Cross-culturally we also find that monogamous societies consume more alcohol than polygynous societies in the preindustrial world. We provide a series of possible explanations to explain the positive correlation between monogamy and alcohol consumption over time and across societies.

So, as you can see, monogamy leads to more alcohol consumption and therefore poses a serious threat to society.

I say let us ban this unnatural abomination and let us return to the traditional polygamous marriages of our forefathers.

Children deserve to grow up in a stable drug free environment so this social construct that is basically the result of heathen mores needs to end.

Remember, no man is an island so if you choose to endanger society with your sexual preferences we have every right to legislate it out of existence.

I guess you missed the noted use of the word correlation. Or you don’t know what it means.

[quote]orion wrote:
Women or Wine? Monogamy and Alcohol

What’s not to like? The headline is the title of an intriguing new working paper [PDF] by two University of Leuven economists Mara Squicciarini and Jo Swinnen. The two note an interesting correlation between societies that practice monogamy and those that drink alcohol. As the abstract explains:

Intriguingly, across the world the main social groups which practice polygyny do not consume alcohol. We investigate whether there is a correlation between alcohol consumption and polygynous/monogamous arrangements, both over time and across cultures. Historically, we find a correlation between the shift from polygyny to monogamy and the growth of alcohol consumption. Cross-culturally we also find that monogamous societies consume more alcohol than polygynous societies in the preindustrial world. We provide a series of possible explanations to explain the positive correlation between monogamy and alcohol consumption over time and across societies.

So, as you can see, monogamy leads to more alcohol consumption and therefore poses a serious threat to society.

I say let us ban this unnatural abomination and let us return to the traditional polygamous marriages of our forefathers.

Children deserve to grow up in a stable drug free environment so this social construct that is basically the result of heathen mores needs to end.

Remember, no man is an island so if you choose to endanger society with your sexual preferences we have every right to legislate it out of existence.

[/quote]

women you can’t live with them and you can’t live with out them :slight_smile:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
I guess you missed the noted use of the word correlation. Or you don’t know what it means.[/quote]

That would only lead us to option two which means that only a drunk would agree to monogamous relationships.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
I guess you missed the noted use of the word correlation. Or you don’t know what it means.[/quote]

That would only lead us to option two which means that only a drunk would agree to monogamous relationships.

[/quote]

Actually, no, there are 3 possible causes for correlation, you are only acknowledging 2.

I will make the claim that consumption of alcohol is good (and the restriction of alcohol is bad) and that polygamy is immoral. Therefore, monogamous societies are closer to being morally upright than those that practice polygamy, further proof is their lack of spirited drink.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[/quote]

Actually, no, there are 3 possible causes for correlation, you are only acknowledging 2.[/quote]

So you think that all these diverse cultures, which are by far the majority by the way, succumbed to some unknown bad influence that lead to monogamy and alcoholism?

Doubtful, but the way it is now monogamy and alcohol consumption are still highly correlated, much like homosexuality and STDs.

Stop that madness now.

For the children.

lol Orion.

“when policy gets a hold of economic studies”

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:
I will make the claim that consumption of alcohol is good (and the restriction of alcohol is bad) and that polygamy is immoral. Therefore, monogamous societies are closer to being morally upright than those that practice polygamy, further proof is their lack of spirited drink.[/quote]

TOTALLY off topic and I apologize to others. But Brother Chris, what are your opinions on alcohol and health?

[quote]forbes wrote:

I will make the claim that consumption of alcohol is good (and the restriction of alcohol is bad) and that polygamy is immoral. Therefore, monogamous societies are closer to being morally upright than those that practice polygamy, further proof is their lack of spirited drink.[/quote]

TOTALLY off topic and I apologize to others. But Brother Chris, what are your opinions on alcohol and health?[/quote]

Thumbs up. Good for health.

[quote]forbes wrote:

TOTALLY off topic and I apologize to others. But Brother Chris, what are your opinions on alcohol and health?[/quote]

Thumbs up. Good for health.[/quote]

Seriously? What do you feel is the upper limit?

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Actually, no, there are 3 possible causes for correlation, you are only acknowledging 2.[/quote]

hahahah

fucking awesome shirt dude

[quote]forbes wrote:

[quote]forbes wrote:

Seriously? What do you feel is the upper limit?[/quote]

If I eat food, it’s good for my health. If I eat too much food it’s bad for my health.

See how that works?

[quote]forbes wrote:

[quote]forbes wrote:

Seriously? What do you feel is the upper limit?[/quote]

Yes, myrrh and wine is a pain killer, wine settles the stomach, wine can be used to lift ones spirits. Drink unto hilarity, that is what I go by.

â??“Give strong drink to him who is perishing, and wine to those in bitter distress; let them drink and forget their poverty, and remember their misery no more” (Prov. 31:6â??7).

I’d certainly like to see less hatred towards people who are nonmonogamous.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

Where the FUCK do you guys get those shirts???

[quote]CappedAndPlanIt wrote:
I’d certainly like to see less hatred towards people who are nonmonogamous.[/quote]

I don’t hate them, I just do not agree with them. I have a friend (Mormon) who’s one of 72 children, his mother is one of 9 of his father’s wifes. Talk about a tough time taking a family portrait.

[quote]CappedAndPlanIt wrote:
I’d certainly like to see less hatred towards people who are nonmonogamous.[/quote]

I don’t hate them, I just do not agree with them. I have a friend (Mormon) who’s one of 72 children, his mother is one of 9 of his father’s wifes. Talk about a tough time taking a family portrait.[/quote]

That doesn’t make it immoral, hm?

[quote]orion wrote:

So you think that all these diverse cultures, which are by far the majority by the way, succumbed to some unknown bad influence that lead to monogamy and alcoholism?

[/quote]

It is very very very possible, I can think of several off the top of my head. Although, I’m not sure where you are going labeling the them “bad” though.