T Nation

Dangers of Low Bodyfat?

Hi.

Someone told me that having a bodyfat as low as 6% can cause health problems.

Is that true? Or is 6 percent a healthy range? I'm going for that ripped look, but I also want something that I can realistically maintain without getting any health problems.

Seeing as how fat is used for a good number of things in your body (normal/emergency food, brain food, lining just about every part of your organs, among other things), I don’t see why you would want to walk around at under 10% unless you’re getting ready for a bodybuilding comp.

[quote]Bee_Brian wrote:
Hi.

Someone told me that having a bodyfat as low as 6% can cause health problems.

Is that true? Or is 6 percent a healthy range? I’m going for that ripped look, but I also want something that I can realistically maintain without getting any health problems.[/quote]

What’s wrong with 10-12%?

Hey dude, picture isn’t showing…

10-12% just doesn’t seem enough… I wanna be as ripped as Bruce Lee before bulking like a grizzly bear.

[quote]Bee_Brian wrote:

10-12% just doesn’t seem enough… I wanna be as ripped as Bruce Lee before bulking like a grizzly bear.[/quote]

Picture shows just fine here. Might be your browser or something, or it might just take a bit for moderation to approve it or something.

Anyway, google image search “builtlean bodyfat”.

I have that picture saved in my laptop. And I do prefer the 6-7%.

[quote]Bee_Brian wrote:
I wanna be as ripped as Bruce Lee before bulking like a grizzly bear.[/quote]

Do what makes you happy. If that’s what you want to do, do that.

[quote]Bee_Brian wrote:

10-12% just doesn’t seem enough… I wanna be as ripped as Bruce Lee before bulking like a grizzly bear.[/quote]
Weren’t you complaining about YouTube not working too in another post? What kind of computer and browser are you using?

Essential body fat for men is 3-5% (ACSM). Getting down to the 6% range is usually something only bodybuilders can accomplish right before a contest. It really is too low to sustain for more than a short period.

Something like 8-12% is more of a level that can be maintained long term. Genetics will most likely play a role in where in that range is realistic for you individually

[quote]Digity wrote:

[quote]Bee_Brian wrote:

Weren’t you complaining about YouTube not working too in another post? What kind of computer and browser are you using?[/quote]

Internet Explorer. My laptop is busted in many ways…