T Nation

Dangerous Supplements

Here’s an article from Consumer Reports about the “Twelve Most Dangerous Supplements”. Wow.

http://health.yahoo.net/articles/nutrition/dangerous-supplements

I’ve never even hear of some of those.
At least they didn’t have creatine and protein powder on there.

I used to take silver collodial for immune support… Works great, ill have to read up on this.

I noticed yohimbe was on there. Hmm. Pretty sure it’s not dangerous is blood pressure stays within what’s considered a good range.

I have heard this said about yohimbe elsewhere and apparently the pharmaceutical version - yohimbe HCL - is more reliable. This, of course, features in a myriad of fat loss agents, including HOT-ROX.

By sheer coincidence, today I read in a popular health store magazine that yohimbe is used to enhance sexual performance in men with erecile disfunction. So it would be a double whammy if it ever got banned!

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
I noticed yohimbe was on there. Hmm. Pretty sure it’s not dangerous is blood pressure stays within what’s considered a good range.[/quote]

I was looking at side effects for bitter orange extract, it seems like it is on the list for the chance of high blood pressure like yohimbe.

I wish the article explained why they chose these individually, rather than making people search and guess.

They list the reasons here: http://www.consumerreports.org/health/natural-health/dietary-supplements/supplement-side-effects/index.htm

If you click yohimbe for more info they basically just say it’s unsafe without supervision because you might take too much.

They tend to cite the FDA as saying all those are unsafe. As we all know, the FDA consists of a bunch of skinny fat weak morons.

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
They tend to cite the FDA as saying all those are unsafe. As we all know, the FDA consists of a bunch of skinny fat weak morons.[/quote]

Thank you.

What’s most disturbing about this is that people will read it, and take their word for it as if it’s unbiased truth. “FDA says…” really? The same FDA that approves all kinds of drugs that have caused way more deaths than any supposed “dangerous supplement” on CR’s list?

It seems to me that this is all part of an effort to give the FDA more power, to the point that you’ll need a doctors perscription just to get some vitamin C.