Dangerous Exercises

When last I was a regular at a gym, I was doing upright rows, hyperextended (all the way back) pec decs, and facing the machine pec decs. I don’t know which of the three or all, but I messed up my shoulder and had to stop all upper body for a while.

[quote]gojira wrote:
Anything done on a swiss ball, wobble board, or while standing on one foot.[/quote]

you’re kidding me right?

swiss balls are great.

and while I think I know what you mean by standing on one foot, are you lumping single leg squats in there?

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
gojira wrote:
Anything done on a swiss ball, wobble board, or while standing on one foot.

you’re kidding me right?

swiss balls are great.

and while I think I know what you mean by standing on one foot, are you lumping single leg squats in there? [/quote]

Actually I’m making reference to the trainers at my gym that have new trainees doing things on swiss balls, which they roll off of, wooble boards which they fall off of and dumbell presses while standing on one foot (WTF is that about?).

This does not relate to the experienced trainee who has developed enough stability and sense of balance to do one legged squats or other more advanced movements.

I just happen to think it’s a bad idea to take an untrained forty-something client and put them on an unstable surface to lift weights. Have them learn the movement first on the floor and development some sort of balance before you put them on the swiss ball or wobble board.

Like a previous poster stated; any exercise can be dangerous depending on your level of skill and strength.

Standing on a wobble-board (sorry, “stability platform”) whilst wearing roller-skates and performing deadlifts with your teeth. In a straightjacket.

[quote]gojira wrote:
Wreckless wrote:
gojira wrote:
Anything done on a swiss ball, wobble board, or while standing on one foot.

But, but… I simply can’t hold on to enough weight to do a calf raise standing on both feet that would really challenge my calves.

Aww, come on. You can get more inventive than that! Ever hear of a standing calf raise machine, or seated calf raise or do them in a leg press or do inclinded treadmill or road work, etc…

Do you really think a single leg calf raise would be dangerous? :wink:

If you don’t hold onto anything.

[/quote]

I know, I know. Just pulling your leg there man.

But just so you know, I maxed out on the standing calf raise machine.

Curling and farting in the squat rack while a 300 pound monster with a bad case of roid rage is waiting for his turn to work in with you.

Here’s another one: trying to sneak a peek at at an enroiged weightlifter’s girlfriends snatch while she does the thigh machine thingy.

deadlifting on a smithmachine

[quote]MikeSh wrote:
I1. Upright Rows - something about tweaking a tendon in your shoulder
2. Behind the neck presses - I’m not sure about this one, but I am constantly reading to avoid it.
3. Rotating Shoulder Shrugs - screws your rotator cuffs?

Lets keep this list going, and injury free.[/quote]

I agree with the above and would add behind the neck lat pulldowns and straight bar bicep curls. The former being hard on the rotator cuff and the latter being very hard on your wrists, especially as you lift heavier weight. The number of people whom continue to do straight bar bicep curls amazes me. I know it is cool to do 135 for 10 on the straight bar but common on, the EZ Bar is right there. Essentially the same effectiveness on the biceps and almost none of the wrist issues. Next time you see a big guy curl a lot of weight on a straight bar see if he either a) is wearing wrist wraps or b) rubs his wrists after he does the exercise or perhaps c) holds the bar just with his thumb and forefinger so it is basically the same as an EZ bar. I bet more times than not you will see one of the above. I love curls but go with the EZ bar.

One final one - deadlifts when you don’t know what you are doing. Keep that lower back arched.

You want to explain whats wrong with the straight bar curls and pulldowns?

I’ve always hated the EZ bar and use a straight bar when I can - although I’m not exactly curling 130lbs.

I think it’s funny that some gyms will ban deadlifts or Olympic lifts, yet I still haven’t found a gym that has a problem with people standing on exercise balls and doing squats or other exercises.

There is a chick at my gym that continues to do squats while standing on a ball – I’m just waiting to see how long it takes her to fall off and break her arms.

Seriously, guys, full squats are the most dangerous exercise you can do. It even says so in my high school fitness book.

To quote Tony Gentilcore, “all this guy needs is the Colonel’s 11 secret herbs and spices.”

Edit: picture didn’t turn out well, so here is what it says:

Half-Knee Bends

Beware of doing full squats because knee injury can result. To begin the lift, stand straight with legs parallel and shoulder width apart and with barbell resting across the shoulders. You may wish to wrap a towel around the bar if it is too uncomfortable on the shoulders. Keeping the back straight, squat to one-half knee bend and return to the starting position. Heels should remain in contact with the floor at all times.

[quote]rsg wrote:

I’ve always hated the EZ bar and use a straight bar when I can - although I’m not exactly curling 130lbs.[/quote]

The issue with straight bar curls is they force your wrist into an unnatural position at the top of the ROM. When you start out in the curl you wrist is under your elbow but as you curl up, when you finish your wrist is now outside of your elbow. Using a bar locks your body and 2 arms together so you can’t compensate for this like you would when doing dumbbells.

For all of my students and clients, once a person gets to about 65-70 lbs or so on the curls I suggest they move to the easy bar. Obviously if you have no pain doing straight bar you might be fexible enough to be alright, but if you do begin to get even a hint of pain in the wrist or elbow I would switch to the EZ bar. You can get chronic wrist and elbow pain otherwise that can mess up the rest of your workouts.

Lat pulldowns (behind the back) are hard on the rotator cuff and are probably best avoided, especially since you get basically the same benefit when doing them to the front. Hope that helps.

[quote]nptitim wrote:
rsg wrote:

I’ve always hated the EZ bar and use a straight bar when I can - although I’m not exactly curling 130lbs.

The issue with straight bar curls is they force your wrist into an unnatural position at the top of the ROM. When you start out in the curl you wrist is under your elbow but as you curl up, when you finish your wrist is now outside of your elbow. Using a bar locks your body and 2 arms together so you can’t compensate for this like you would when doing dumbbells.

For all of my students and clients, once a person gets to about 65-70 lbs or so on the curls I suggest they move to the easy bar. Obviously if you have no pain doing straight bar you might be fexible enough to be alright, but if you do begin to get even a hint of pain in the wrist or elbow I would switch to the EZ bar. You can get chronic wrist and elbow pain otherwise that can mess up the rest of your workouts.

Lat pulldowns (behind the back) are hard on the rotator cuff and are probably best avoided, especially since you get basically the same benefit when doing them to the front. Hope that helps.[/quote]

Wouldn’t a shoulder width or more narrow grip solve that part about hands outside the elbow?

I’ve been doing straight bar curls like that for a long time, no problems.

iv been doing upright rows for awhile now ?

I saw a guy once that was doing lat pulls and bouncing the weight and the pin popped out when he bounced it. Then he gave another heave and hit himself in the head with the bar.

[quote]gojira wrote:
Anything done on a swiss ball, wobble board, or while standing on one foot.[/quote]

I beg to differ, I do my wobble board on swiss ball one legged one armed barbell deadlifts whilst doing one armed barbell side raises and squatting all at the same time, on a regular basis… NEVER injured myself!

And I do weighted crunches on a swiss ball. Haven’t hurt myself either.

[quote]rsg wrote:

I’ve always hated the EZ bar and use a straight bar when I can - although I’m not exactly curling 130lbs.[/quote]

Straight bar curls kill my wrists!

Squatting on a smith machine.