T Nation

Dangerous Dave’s Diabolical Log for Density and Destruction

Oh thank you guys :slight_smile: lot of effort behind those words from my side haha, but thanks a lot :pray:

1 Like

I woke up this morning feeling super groggy. I’ve been having crazy dreams lately, yesterday being one about me being in Vietnam and trying to sabotage a Vietnamese tank and my two squad mates and I get spotted by a guard, they both get killed but I narrowly escaped after surviving whatever lethal gas they tried to use and took the guy down and ran for my life. That really messed me up and I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it. Last nights dream was intense too but I can’t remember it as well. Being a soldier in battle and going to prison are two of my biggest fears, so that is usually what fuels my scariest nightmares.

My plan was to be a nightmare for the weights today. Despite feeling tired and groggy, I got right into things. My brother wasn’t there today so I had to bail myself out a few times on incline bench and close Grip Bench after I hit failure. Just let the weights fall off one side and the other side takes care of itself. I think it scared one of the guys in the gym. Oh well. Managed to make significant progress in weight and reps on everything from last session, especially deadlift! I looked at my numbers from last time and saw a wimpy 275 on my heavy set?? What The hell bro. So 275 was today’s widow maker weight. This really put my grip and my back to the test, just how I like it. I want 315 on the high rep set very soon.

Upper

Incline Bench 235x9,4,2
Military Press 115x9,3,2
Close Grip Bench 185x7,4,3
Close Grip Pulldown 220x8,5,3
Deadlift 315x8, 275x12

2 Likes

Amazing Dave! How do you work your way up to the working sets? Several warmups? I find myself not having a well thought out plan for my warmup sets. Sometimes its 1-2 sets and occasionally 3-4. Any strategies you can share?

1 Like

I think you’re spot on, because my warm ups are similar. It really depends on the exercise, how much a body part has already been used, and how I’m feeling that day. I pretty much never start with the bar. For any benching movement, I will load the bar with 135 and do 10-12 reps, then I’ll load on 185 and do 6-8, then I do 1-2 reps of 225, then get into my working weight which is just above that.

This ramp up strategy is what I use for pretty much every exercise. A weight that feels very light for 10-12, a more moderate weight for 4-8, and then a weight close to my working weight for 1 or 2. If I were capable of moving a heavier amount of weight, say 500 pounds, I would almost certainly use more warm ups to work my way there. However, most all of my working weights for barbell movements are below 400 pounds, so I use a little less, but I try to make sure I generate as little fatigue as possible during these warm up sets.

For a heavier example, on leg Press, which I do at over 600 pounds, I use about 4 warm up sets(or 5 with a first set at 135 for 10 if I’m feeling weak), 225 for 12, 315 for 10-12, 405 for about 5, 495 for 3-5 then get into the working sets.

This warm up strategy has been pretty effective for me. Last year and even early into this year, I would often skip warm up sets and go straight into the workout sets, which I feel like hamstrung my strength on many exercises, as well as neglected mental preparation. I feel a lot more “ready” for my sets now.

1 Like

Thanks Dave! This made me smile, since my preparation is as close as identical to yours! On leg press I often make the ramp up a part of the routine, doing 12 reps in 110 lbs increases, until I can’t make a 12 rep. A variation for loading sets in FT, or should I say my interpretation on the much debated “Max Pyramid” (where you supposedly could increase weights forever)! LOL The legs can handle lots of reps, so why not? Though I am still careful not overdoing it, as its been 2 months since my strained adductor. But a progressive rehab has done the trick!

Thanks to you and FT I also continue to increase weights on almost every workout! There’s a magic to the combination of clusters and pumpsets, that gives a result in the loading sets. Personally I also have a strong feeling the loaded stretches are a hidden jewel!

1 Like

Yeah, my warm up sets are basicaly identical.
Sometimes if I am feeling not focused, I add one more heavy , again , just 2 reps , to prepare me.

And great session Dave , especially deadlift and especially after those nightmares.
And btw, we share biggest fears also haha

1 Like

Thank you so much! Those deadlifts were really a great way to close out the session! Those nightmares really get to me and make me thankful I currently have a life free from those fears.

@pettersson hey it goes both ways, it makes me feel like my warm up method is pretty good knowing that yours is so similar! I do love the cluster sets and Pump Sets on non loading days, it feels like it gives me plenty of Time to facilitate the strength and the growth for maximal progression on my loading sets! I also love the stretches and believe they could be helpful in injury prevention as well as driving more blood into the muscle which could create more Hypertrophy with minimal soreness or muscle damage.

2 Likes

Re your journey into DC traìning: Is there a template/program you follow, or merely your own construction of DC ideas? Any link you can refer to? I have some difficulties finding proper info.

2 Likes

Yes! Actually there’s a sticky on the Intense Muscle Forum called “ Updated–DC Training Newbies ***read This First And Then Ask Questions Later“ that features an interview with Dante himself and that’s what I used to structure my program and I’m trying to pretty much follow it to the letter, except I replaced hammer strength Press with Bench Press since I don’t have that machine and upright Rows with seated Dumbbell lateral raises.

It goes pretty in depth on all you need to know about the program and its template and layout. T-Nation also has a good article about it. From “SM” who is basically a Dante disciple that understood the program probably better than anyone besides Dante himself.

2 Likes

Pettersson, I was gonna ask the same question, so thank you lol.
Info about DC training are somewhat all over but not in some precise fashion, so thank you Dave for the info :).

2 Likes

I was in a big hurry during today’s workout but I actually think the hustle helped really made the workout extra challenging. I was trying to get the workout done so I could make it to the burger restaurant for dinner with my brothers and mom before they closed, the perfect meal for my ‘anabolic window’. I was so dialed in today I barely remember a thought going through my head, I was like a machine.

After my widow maker on hack squats, I was breathing so hard and I had a cramp in my stomach like when you run for the first time in a while lol

Lower +Arms

Barbell Curl 120x10,4,2
Hammer Curl 50x12
Toe Press 260x13(5 sec Lower, 10 sec hold in stretch position)
Standing Cable Leg Curl 120x8,4,2
Hack Squat 420x8, 365x20

3 Likes

I always move faster if it’s towards food :grinning:, sounds like it got you super focussed.

1 Like

Haha it sure did! I did not want us to have to reschedule and I really wanted to “earn” that burger! It was awesome by the way! Worth the work!

1 Like

I may have gotten a little over zealous on rack deadlifts today. I saw the weight I was doing last time and I really wanted to make a big jump. I fell short of the target rep range on the heavy set and the last rep was an all-out kind of ugly rep. I’ll try it again next time and get in that rep range. Gravity just felt extra heavy today on those. Still happy I pulled that buddy weight for the first time though and gives me a lot of momentum going into the next one!

Upper

Bench Press 255x6,3,2
Seated Lateral Raise 25x15,8,4
Skull Crushers 115x9,3,1
Pulldown 220x9,4,2
Rack Dead 405x3, 365x9

1 Like

Well I downloaded the Deep Water ebook from Jon Andersen’s website and have decided upon that as my next program/hurdle in life to overcome after I return home after Canadian Thanksgiving. I’ve been feeling so inspired reading @T3hPwnisher reviews of the program online and his glowing recommendation as well as my initial recommendation from @flappinit and watching a bunch of Jon’s videos on YouTube.

It will be an interesting foray into levels of volume that I have never done in a weight workout in my life. This will take that same level of deep commitment and dedication and discipline and mental fortitude that I forged as a wrestler in high school and college. I’m excited about pushing myself to the limits and trying a different dietary approach. 2021 has been my biggest year of gains since high school for me and I have to thank you all here at T-Nation for that and I’m excited about finishing the year strong and making 2022 even better with everything I’ve learned so far, and everything I’m about to learn.

5 Likes

It might seem like you’re going in the total opposite direction of DC with this, but I can’t think of a better precursor to DW (besides BtM maybe). You’ve now gauged what real effort looks like with DC and now you can put it into practice, taking advantage of the extra volume to eat more and grow more.

You’re also pretty much guaranteed progress in Deep Water, since the weight stays the same and you just drop the rest times, whereas DC will eventually hit you with a day where you can’t just go beat the logbook every time, contrary to what some people would have you think - go in with a bad day or feeling weak and boom - one bad set and it’s all over for the day. It’s all around just a great experience. Can’t wait to see you smash it.

2 Likes

I’m excited for you dude! It’s very much a transformative process. Be happy to field any questions you have.

2 Likes

Thanks man! I’m sure I’ll have quite a few but I’m extremely excited to get after it and really push myself. I think this may be where I gain the most that I have all year!

@flappinit I think you’re spot on. I’ve really been digging deep with DC and have been seeing great progress using this method with high Intensity and low volume. So in my mind it makes perfect sense to transition to something that’s really high volume, that’ll cause me to really have to dig deep like I’ve been going in these rest pause sets and widow makers. I like staying ahead of adaptation and that’s something I think this program will really accomplish for me.

Will all weights for the program (specially curious about the 3 sets of Bench, close Grip Bench, and incline bench) be done 70% of my 10RM? And do you believe I should take a few days before I begin the program to test my 1rms?

I only used the 70% for the 10x10 sets. I picked challenging weights for everything else. I never tested 1rms simply because I had some good awareness of it.

1 Like