T Nation

Dana White vs Tito Ortiz

Just got done watching 1 1/2 hours of that shit just to see Tito not show up.Anyoneelse watch it and if so what did you think

What a fucking joke. I want my hour of life back.

[quote]brklyn b wrote:
Just got done watching 1 1/2 hours of that shit just to see Tito not show up.Anyoneelse watch it and if so what did you think[/quote]

I can see the funny side of it. I’m sure Dana busted his arse training for it as he wouldn’t want to be humilliated on TV.

Tito’s no show would probably piss him off more than had he turned up and kicked Dana’s arse.

If I was Dana, I’d be pissed about the time wasted and etc preparing for the fight.

I think Dana shoulda called tito back and told him its still on and he will be at the weigh-ins, seems like he was relieved tito “backed out” the fight still coulda went down if Dana pressed it a bit more…

[quote]RiPPing Time wrote:
I think Dana shoulda called tito back and told him its still on and he will be at the weigh-ins, seems like he was relieved tito “backed out” the fight still coulda went down if Dana pressed it a bit more…[/quote]

I blame fucking Dana for that travesty of a show. I’m glad I got done working out late and only saw the last 20 minutes. He put that goddamned show together just to try and make Tito look bad? He’s a fucking asshole for actually portraying the whole thing as if it was going down and wasting everybodies time…if they thought TUF 5’s ratings were bad before, wait til next week

[quote]slimjim wrote:
RiPPing Time wrote:
He put that goddamned show together just to try and make Tito look bad? He’s a fucking asshole for actually portraying the whole thing as if it was going down and wasting everybodies time[/quote]

SpikeTV invested time & money by having cameras follow Dana & Tito around while preparing for the fight. They wanted to get some programming content out of their investment.

Tito deserves to get punked for his no-show. He pissed off two of the UFC’s most important partners (NSAC, SpikeTV) and could have caused some real problems for the company.

I really don’t know what Tito thought he had to gain by agreeing to this fight in the first place. Either he would have ended up beating up a non-fighter or he would have lost to one. I smell a work.

I can’t stand Tito, and I can’t stand Dana.

So I could not care less about whatever “fight” they were supposed to have.

Dana is an attention whore, and Tito is…well…a fucking tito.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I can’t stand Tito, and I can’t stand Dana.

So I could not care less about whatever “fight” they were supposed to have.

Dana is an attention whore, and Tito is…well…a fucking tito. [/quote]

UFC = WWE

I watched the whole thing last night. I was totally shocked that they didn’t fight at all. I didn’t really expect a REAL fight, cuz come on… Tito would wreck Dana, no question.

As a marketing professional I totally understand what they accomplished with this, which is the same thing they accomplish with all their non-fight programs. We now know all about Dana White, and we care about people we know about. Just like we all know about Forrest Griffen, and Andre Arlovski, and Tito Ortiz from previous shows. It’s money in the bank.

Now everyone who watched the show can relate with the President of Zuffa. We also know about the history of Tito and Dana, and more of the history of the UFC and Zuffa.

In the end, they showed this late (not prime time) and there can be no doubt that they had a high viewship, high ad sales, and an improved brand awareness after the show.

Think of it as a 1.5 hour commercial that they get paid to broadcast. It’s a win-win situation…

Really, did you expect to see Dana White fight Tito. Looking back, I can’t believe I ever thought it was anything but a ploy.

Tito works for Dana. It was in the contract that they had to fight. Tito can’t just back out of his own choice. Dana has him under contract. Dana is Tito’s boss. If Dana says fight, Tito fights. Dana called this off. No question.

tuf 5 is worse than mtv real world,its unwatchable.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:

UFC = WWE[/quote]

Not quite, but definitely worrisome. As long as the nucleus of MMA in the octagon stays intact, I’ll be watching.

Maybe I’m in the minority because I didn’t have any desire to see the two fight and didn’t waste the time (outside of checking the message boards this morning).

[quote]lucasa wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

UFC = WWE

Not quite, but definitely worrisome. As long as the nucleus of MMA in the octagon stays intact, I’ll be watching.

Maybe I’m in the minority because I didn’t have any desire to see the two fight and didn’t waste the time (outside of checking the message boards this morning).[/quote]

agreed

[quote]mylesmg wrote:

Tito works for Dana. It was in the contract that they had to fight. Tito can’t just back out of his own choice. Dana has him under contract. Dana is Tito’s boss. If Dana says fight, Tito fights. Dana called this off. No question.[/quote]

I would have to disagree.

Contracts are two way documents and can be broken by either party without the “permission” of the other.

Unless there were penalties stipulated in the contract for not adhering to that component and unless White is willing to call breach, which is highly unlikely, they are basically at an impasse.

In other words, it amounts to a whole lot of nothing and Tito clearly feels he has the upper hand in regards to their professional relationship.

I sat through Dana’s training the whole time wanting to fast forward it but didn’t b/c I assumed it couldn’t go on much longer given program length.

I am now pretty irritated that I sat through that to see it come to nothing.

Certainly not a good representation of Tito.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I was annoyed as well. I generally like both of them given what I have seen on TV but this left with me a bad impression. Tito looked bad for not showing up, but Dana looked bad for basically using this hour and a half to make Tito look bad.

Plus I have to say it seemed a little fishy that Dana started training and weighed 210 lbs and was out of shape, 6 months later after supposedly a bunch of hard training he was only 197. Honestly I thought he would have lost more weight than that if he had a real fight to get in shape for.

I enjoy getting to know the fighters and having someone to root for, but if they start to manipulate that and perhaps even rig things I will lose interest. That is my .02 cents

I thought he was down to 187.

I think the last April show is Free. If they stick to that maybe that will make up for last night.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
He’s a fucking asshole for actually portraying the whole thing as if it was going down and wasting everybodies time…if they thought TUF 5’s ratings were bad before, wait til next week[/quote]

I could not agree more. I read on MMA Weekly and Ortiz’s blog that Ortiz did not show up for weigh-ins and wasn’t going to fight. So when I saw the commercial for White v. Ortiz, I thought, “WTF? Did something change?”

I’m glad I didn’t tune in last night, as I’d be pissed. It was pure fraud what they pulled.

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
mylesmg wrote:

Tito works for Dana. It was in the contract that they had to fight. Tito can’t just back out of his own choice. Dana has him under contract. Dana is Tito’s boss. If Dana says fight, Tito fights. Dana called this off. No question.

I would have to disagree.

Contracts are two way documents and can be broken by either party without the “permission” of the other.

Unless there were penalties stipulated in the contract for not adhering to that component and unless White is willing to call breach, which is highly unlikely, they are basically at an impasse.

In other words, it amounts to a whole lot of nothing and Tito clearly feels he has the upper hand in regards to their professional relationship.

I sat through Dana’s training the whole time wanting to fast forward it but didn’t b/c I assumed it couldn’t go on much longer given program length.

I am now pretty irritated that I sat through that to see it come to nothing.

Certainly not a good representation of Tito.

[/quote]

Okay, it’s a kinder-gentler forum, so I’m not going to go berserk and tell you guys to stop guessing about shit that is well know; and that you should do some research before opining. I won’t say anything like that.

Still, it’s a fact that Ortiz called the fight off. This was reported on MMA Weekly and on Ortiz’s myspace blog.