T Nation

Dan John's Advice on Adding Muscle


#1

Hello,
I have read one of his articles and he stated that to add quality lean muscle mass you need to STOP. "Stop playing basketball, stop jogging ..."

Is this for him different than GPP work?

I thought when I have enough calories surplus I will still add the same muscle mass?


#2

Are you currently adding muscle mass with your schedule? If yes, change nothing. If no, try out Dan John’s suggestion and see if it works.


#3

@pwnisher thanks for your fast workout, it was more of a theoretical question. I was just curious how this advice fits with my plan to work on my GPP (I do at the moment Bulgarian Simplfied Training by Christian Thibaudeau) when I plan to start “westside”.


#4

[quote]Akidara wrote:
@pwnisher thanks for your fast workout, it was more of a theoretical question. I was just curious how this advice fits with my plan to work on my GPP (I do at the moment Bulgarian Simplfied Training by Christian Thibaudeau) when I plan to start “westside”.[/quote]

I feel like the advice would fit in in the way I described. If you’re gaining muscle, your plan is working. If not, try stopping.

Definitely give this thread a read through in terms of how to fit in a goal of improving your GPP with Westside. It’ll determine how you’ll structure your training blocks.


#5

Dan usually says that in the context of doing a muscle gain blitz ie totallly focus on hypertrophy for 8-12 weeks and save all your energy for the gym.
Not to put words in his mouth but I would say long term he encourages people to be as active and all-round athletic as possible.


#6

Thanks for the link to the Westside thread. It’s been mentioned before, but I never searched it out. I totally should have. I’m halfway through. There’s lots of good stuff so far.


#7

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
Dan usually says that in the context of doing a muscle gain blitz ie totallly focus on hypertrophy for 8-12 weeks and save all your energy for the gym.
Not to put words in his mouth but I would say long term he encourages people to be as active and all-round athletic as possible.[/quote]

This.

In the words of the man himself:

“Remember, this isn’t a lifetime plan but a short, focused, fiery attempt to gain mass.”


#8

Thanks for all the responses, the context was really helpful! I am already reading the westside thread!


#9

[quote]FlatsFarmer wrote:
Thanks for the link to the Westside thread. It’s been mentioned before, but I never searched it out. I totally should have. I’m halfway through. There’s lots of good stuff so far.[/quote]

All that thread ever taught me was that I am too stupid to run Westside, haha.


#10

The barbell portion of Westside ALWAYS ALWAYS gives me trouble.

The way they handle everything else is great! Warm ups, accesories, extra workouts, stretching, Olympic lifts, abs, calesthenics, increasing your workload, jumps, rows, triceps, etc. They’ve considered all that stuff and figured out a manageable way to handle it.

I feel like you could read “The 8 Keys” and do everything in there EXCEPT the ME/DE, “main work” and be pretty good.


#11

I like to get “warmed up” before my workouts. Generally I’ll do a couple stretches, some activation or dynamic Warm up, and some abs or whatever to get ready. Kinda like an Agile 8 sorta deal.

When I’m not a lazy douche, it’s good to hit some pull aparts and band dislocates on off days.

A little conditioning, like walking hills, or jump rope or BW circuits are super good too.

If I do this stuff every day, it tends to add up. I find myself inadvertently “progressing” this extra stuff. The second week, stretches just don’t work as well, so I stretch just a little longer. It takes just a few more pull aparts to get the same feeling. By the third week, I’m doing 1000’s of jump ropes, etc. Finally, when I’m sick of all that I switch to some other variations of the same “groupings.”

What I should do is pick 1 “variation” of warm-ups, 1 variation of recovery, and 1 variation of conditioning. Then do that for 1 week. Second week I’ll just rotate to new Warm ups/recovery/ conditioning exercises. 3rd week, it’s back to the first group. Twice the variety of “stuff” with less total work “wasted” on things I’m only tangentally interested in improving.


#12

What if I want to do some dumbbell benches for my chest? I could stick to the “basics” and “doggedly increase my weights” and burn myself out in a month or two.

Or I could pick 2 variations(slight decline, slight incline), use 2 grips (neutral, with Fat Gripz) Then rotate through and establish 2 rep maxes ( 6 rep max, 15 rep max) for each set up. Then I could come back through and break all those records. Thats like 16 sessions in a row! Structured, but not in a boring, linear way.