Dan John Books

This was briefly covered in the recent thread on training books, but I wanted to make a separate thread to get detailed opinions specifically on Dan John’s books.

I really like his writing style and training philosophy and so I’m looking to buy one of his books. I’d be really interested to hear reviews and suggestions from people who have read them. Would you recommend buying one, and if so, which one?

Thank you very much for your time.

From The Ground Up was the first book of his I read. Loved it, printed it out, and I still flip through it sometimes. It touched on a bunch of different training methods, programs, theories, and techniques. His Olympic lifting background really comes through, maybe more on this than in any of his other stuff, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

To Grad from Dad I also really liked. It’s Dan writing “notes on life” to his daughter, so there’s not really anything about training, but there’s plenty of good information and his thoughts on pretty much everything else.

Never Let Go is essentially a collection of a bunch of his articles from here on T-Nation. That’s not a negative at all. Very nice to have all in one place, but if you’ve followed his writing for a while and read his older stuff, you probably won’t see anything new, though it’s always good to re-read. New insights have a way of popping out of something you’ve read 11 times before.

I hear nothing but good reviews of Intervention, but haven’t read it myself so I can’t comment on it.

Thanks Chris! Always appreciate your opinion.

Intervention is a great read. Highly recommended.

[quote]ChongLordUno wrote:
Intervention is a great read. Highly recommended.[/quote]

Thanks ChongLordUno. What sort of stuff does it cover?

[quote]furo wrote:

[quote]ChongLordUno wrote:
Intervention is a great read. Highly recommended.[/quote]

Thanks ChongLordUno. What sort of stuff does it cover?
[/quote]

The take home message for me was all about simplifying your approach to training, not getting swept up in ‘systems’, identifying realistic goals and striving for them through the medium of movement and cold steel :slight_smile:

Like I said, this was my take home message!