T Nation

Dan John 2 Day/wk Program

Hi…has anyone tried Dan John’s two days a week program? if so, what do you think of it?

I’m doing John Broz’s Bulgarian method but I’m a student and don’t have time to work out 6 days a week. Please tell me if you got results from it and give me some tips as well!

Also please explain how ten reps Bench works(because he says keep adding weight with “big jumps” so lets say that I can do 90kg for 10 reps, should I do 60kgx10, 70kgx10,80kgx10, and 90kg x as many as I can ?)

Thanks

I don’t think it was a 2 day a week program. It was a lifting weights 2 days a week, then training a bunch of throwing the other days.

You will be doing yourself a disservice if you only train 2x/week. There are better ways to go about training.

I’m sure Dan (or his athletes) trains with weights 2x/week but do other stuff on the other days.

Being a student, you have the most free time in the world. I wish I was a student again I would be training every day if I could. Why not go with 4 or 5x instead?

http://danjohn.net/2011/01/minimalist-training/ here is his article about it…from his website…please let me know if I misunderstood any part of the article

Yes it will work Dan John’s advice is rock solid. Also check out his southwood article here

[quote]amir_rpa wrote:
http://danjohn.net/2011/01/minimalist-training/ here is his article about it…from his website…please let me know if I misunderstood any part of the article[/quote]

You understood it right. It’s just not the most efficient way in gaining strength in terms of time. You will no doubt gain if you train hard with it and eat right, but someone else training at a higher frequency will probably gain a lot faster.

I can see why someone who is short on time will be doing something similar. It’s all about which kind of sacrifice you are willing to make.

[quote]shffl wrote:
You will be doing yourself a disservice if you only train 2x/week. There are better ways to go about training.

I’m sure Dan (or his athletes) trains with weights 2x/week but do other stuff on the other days.

Being a student, you have the most free time in the world. I wish I was a student again I would be training every day if I could. Why not go with 4 or 5x instead?[/quote]

Uh…students do not have the most free time in the world.

It’s all about which kind of sacrifice you are willing to make. [/quote]
Yeah I 100 percent agree with you because obviously I wouldn’t get the same result as somebody who trains much harder than me…So I decided to give it a try and eat enough clean food and in the days that I’m not lifting do other lighter stuff…or possibly do the same program for three days instead of two

[quote]amir_rpa wrote:
It’s all about which kind of sacrifice you are willing to make. [/quote]
Yeah I 100 percent agree with you because obviously I wouldn’t get the same result as somebody who trains much harder than me…So I decided to give it a try and eat enough clean food and in the days that I’m not lifting do other lighter stuff…or possibly do the same program for three days instead of two[/quote]

Another option would be to find a simple upper/lower split, and then train as often as you can.

By that I mean, if one week you can only train twice, then train twice. If the next week you can make it 4 times, then go 4 times.

You don’t have to have an exact schedule, as long as you set up your program to give you the flexibility than you can work around your schedule

Anything particular you recommend?

There was a good article on here about a 4 day split, like a pull, push, legs, then a free day, but I can’t find it.

I tried it but didn’t create enough structure and it didn’t work for me. Granted it was more me not setting a structure for myself than only training 2 days a week.

The training I’m doing right now for throwing is 2 days a week heavy lifting, 1 oly/jumps, 2-4 days throwing (depending on my work schedule and weather). In my 2 hard lifting days I pretty much crush myself.

Ok great thanks everybody

[quote]Caltene wrote:

Uh…students do not have the most free time in the world.[/quote]

Yes they do. Those that don’t just suck at time management.

[quote]shffl wrote:

[quote]Caltene wrote:

[/quote]

Majority do, (like me) but some are actually double majors, who have to work while in school, and are members of several clubs.

Now when I go away to school, hopefully training time will be on top of my list because I made sure to cross all that stuff out!

@OP - I know a few kids in college who used this program but they were also throwing on off days. They had some pretty great results in strength and overall throws though. Just a note, they had problems with the coaches but wanted to continue on their own.

[quote]chobbs wrote:
There was a good article on here about a 4 day split, like a pull, push, legs, then a free day, but I can’t find it.[/quote]

I beleive this is it:

You could also use a 5/3/1 set up, or whatever other progression scheme you want to use.

[quote]shffl wrote:

[quote]Caltene wrote:

[/quote]

So all students are the same? They’re all bums that live off mommy and daddy and take bullshit courses like music appreciation? What an ignorant thing to say in the first place. The o.p. even said right off the bat that he’s not going to have much time, which should not be argued with unless you know him. Think before you speak!

[quote]Caltene wrote:

So all students are the same? They’re all bums that live off mommy and daddy and take bullshit courses like music appreciation? What an ignorant thing to say in the first place. The o.p. even said right off the bat that he’s not going to have much time, which should not be argued with unless you know him. Think before you speak![/quote]

Pretty sure if he already had the time to be doing Bulgarian method in the first place that he isn’t one of those students. I’m just saying, a lot of people come up with weak excuses like not enough time when in actuality they just aren’t managing their time properly. The odds of the OP (no offense) being one of these people are a lot greater than an actual student who truly does not have time.

Some PhD students or even MD students I know of still find time in the gym consistently. Heck, there are people working 60-80 hrs work week and can still hit the gym multiple times a week.

To sum it up, not enough time is a weak excuse. If someone truly wants to do it, he or she will no doubt find the time to do so.