T Nation

Dan Gable

I ve been reading quite a bit about Dan gable recently thorugh Dan john books mostly. I don't have any wrestling background as in Ireland it isn't something that is taught in school etc. I have only recently started to appreciate how skilful and physically demanding it is.

I see that dam gable has a book coming out in the spring, but are there any other books about Dan Gable that anyone could recommend or has anyone used any of his training approaches to martial arts/ boxing or for general conditioning??

I am a fan- I competed against some of his boys - way back when
and at the time - they set the standard of training.
he is kind of a mean old bastard to say the least

there are a couple of books about him
amazon can help you there

a book about him
A Season on the Mat: Dan Gable and the Pursuit of Perfection
there are a few more about him- mostly about his olympic run

coaching mental toughness on the mat
coaching wrestling sucessfully

he wrote both of these- Im sure with help and they are excellent.

there are some good interviews out there- flow wrestling has many

Dan Gable is more of an inspirational figure than a strength and conditioning coach.
You’ve probably read about it, but Dan Gable used to get carried out of practice unconscious from the exertion during practice.

And not to rain on your parade, but you haven’t even begun to taste what its like to go through a single wrestling season. There were days on the mat where I contemplated losing a limb, to maybe miss one practice. Actually, that would be dumb, because you can still wrestle with missing limbs.

In Ireland the only wrestling we got was the WWE variety. Must check out those books about Gable, watched a few documentaries about him and I can appreciate why he is an iconic figure. Dan john references him quite a bit and that’s where I developed an interest in him. He seems to be revered as much for his “work ethic” as his undoubted talent.

[quote]Sody78 wrote:
In Ireland the only wrestling we got was the WWE variety. Must check out those books about Gable, watched a few documentaries about him and I can appreciate why he is an iconic figure. Dan john references him quite a bit and that’s where I developed an interest in him. He seems to be revered as much for his “work ethic” as his undoubted talent.
[/quote]

With that said, is every man in Ireland at am MMA gym now?

[quote]Sody78 wrote:
[/quote]
This is true, but now we have some options.
There are quite a few good grappling gyms dotted around the country, along with a novice championship structure.
Zhivco trains the national team in Dublin.
Cork, Limerick and Galway also have some good grapplers.

Whereabouts are you based?