Dan Duchaine & Fructose

In Dan Duchaine book he sated that the liver only has enough enzymes to metabolize 30 grams of fructose in a 24 hour period. He of course did not site a source for the statement and I was wondering if anyone knows weather it is true or not. Dan was also talking about fructose form fruit and honey, not high fructose corn syrup.

I locked on-line and could only find the maximum amount of fructose that can be assimilated in rats and birds, but not humans. Does anyone have any evidence that could prove or disprove what he stated?

well if thats so no big deal. just means it will be floating around for quite some time waiting to be processed and not stored as it has to be processed prior to being used or stored.

Could be one of the reasons for it keeping blood sugar more even keel a slow decline etc.

Phill

[quote]daniel_lamon wrote:
In Dan Duchaine book he sated that the liver only has enough enzymes to metabolize 30 grams of fructose in a 24 hour period. He of course did not site a source for the statement and I was wondering if anyone knows weather it is true or not. Dan was also talking about fructose form fruit and honey, not high fructose corn syrup.

I locked on-line and could only find the maximum amount of fructose that can be assimilated in rats and birds, but not humans. Does anyone have any evidence that could prove or disprove what he stated? [/quote]

Well,I do know that you’d have to consume 50-75 grams of fructose in a sitting,which is about the equivalent to eating five to seven apples,one after another,to experience any negative side-effects.

Depending on the person and their metabolism,someone could eat more and still experience no negative side effects.
Fructose breaks down to glucose once liver glycogen stores are full, so with no studies showing fructose metabolism in humans,it’s kind of hard to assume. My guess would be about 50-80 grams though.

Don’t believe everything you read. If a doctor or a nutritionist is giving you an educated guess,thats fine. But if they are stating their opinions as facts,with no evidence or at least studies to back up what they’re saying, you need to watch that. I’ve never heard of Dan Duchaine,but he sounds like one of those people who take it a little too far to me.

[quote]Phill wrote:
well if thats so no big deal. just means it will be floating around for quite some time waiting to be processed and not stored as it has to be processed prior to being used or stored.

Could be one of the reasons for it keeping blood sugar more even keel a slow decline etc.

Phill[/quote]

The problem is that the extra fructose will be converted into triglycerides and then can be easily stored as fat. You can read about it from:
The Carbohydrate Roundtable, Part 2
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459360

“Fructose, on the other hand, is metabolized differently due to its structure. In the liver, fructose is metabolized and can replenish glycogen (liver only) or can form triglycerides. Due to the fact that fructose doesn’t cause a substantial rise in blood sugar (it’s too busy filling liver glycogen stores and creating triglycerides), it doesn’t stimulate insulin secretion to any large extent.”

So if I take in 60 grams of Grapefruit juice, “fructose” post workout with my shake and Dan is right in that I can only absorb 30 grams of it which is a problem.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
daniel_lamon wrote:

I locked on-line and could only find the maximum amount of fructose that can be assimilated in rats and birds, but not humans. Does anyone have any evidence that could prove or disprove what he stated?

Well,I do know that you’d have to consume 50-75 grams of fructose in a sitting,which is about the equivalent to eating five to seven apples,one after another,to experience any negative side-effects.

Depending on the person and their metabolism,someone could eat more and still experience no negative side effects.
Fructose breaks down to glucose once liver glycogen stores are full, so with no studies showing fructose metabolism in humans,it’s kind of hard to assume. My guess would be about 50-80 grams though.

Don’t believe everything you read. If a doctor or a nutritionist is giving you an educated guess,thats fine. But if they are stating their opinions as facts,with no evidence or at least studies to back up what they’re saying, you need to watch that. I’ve never heard of Dan Duchaine,but he sounds like one of those people who take it a little too far to me.[/quote]

Hear is a little info on Dan
http://www.qfac.com/advice/dan.html

Dan Duchaine the steroid guru was the author of many bodybuilding and steroid articles. Dan Duchaine has been published and quoted in practically every bodybuilding magazine and bodybuilding newsletter circulated.

Dan Duchaine, the steroid guru had also authored The Underground Steroid Handbook, the Underground Steroid Handbook II, BodyOpus, also known as Militant Body Opus, the Dirty Dieting newsletter, and his Danarchy articles.

The Writer Dan Duchaine had personally coached many athletes, bodybuilders and movie stars.

The Chemist Dan Duchaine knew the research. Dan Duchaine did the experiments. The Steroid Guru has fathered the foundations of many of the grey-market supplements as bodybuilders know them today.

Dan Duchaine had also made several guest appearances at many athletic/bodybuilding events, seminars, talk and radio shows including The Nasty Man, 60 Minutes, 20/20, Geraldo, Now It Can Be Told, and The Ronald Reagan Show.

The Infamous Dan Duchaine had no scruples. He told no lies. Dan Duchaine was no holds barred.

1983 - Underground Steroid Handbook
1981 - The Original Underground Steroid Handbook
1983 - Ultimate Dieting Handbook
1988 - The Steroid Guru
1988 - Underground Steroid Handbook II
1996 - Muscle Media 2000
1997 - Body Opus
1997 - Dirty Dieting Newsletter

1984 - Dan Duchaine initiated the John Siegler Fan Club - the 1st mail order steroid business.
1985 - Dan Duchaine co-founded Laboratories Milano in Tijuana, MX - the largest black market steroid manufacturing plant.
1987 - Indicted by the US government on conspiracy and mislabelling charges.
1988 - Dan Duchaine coached major Olympic athletes in passing drug testing.
1988 - The Steroid Guru introduced clenbuterol to American bodybuilders.
1988 - Dan Duchaine got off probation - Back to the world of bodybuilding where he continued to advise until his demise on January 12th, 2000.
1989 - Dan Duchaine served an 18-month sentence in federal prison.
1990 - The Steroid Guru assisted top Mr. Olympia competitors to pass steroid testing with blocking agents.
1991 - Dan Duchaine was indicted by the US governement for selling GHB and Clenbuterol to Longevity Clubs.
1992 - Duchaine served a 30 month sentence in federal prison.
2000 - Dan Duchaine passed away at the age of 47. RIP.

1983 - Ultimate Orange/Next Nutrition
1990 - Ion-exchange whey protein and vanadyl sulfate.
1993 - Designer Protein/Next Nutrition.
1994 - CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid.
1995 - Promoted the moderate fat diet in bodybuilding.
1996 - ISO3/Next Nutrition.
1997 - Androstenedione/OSMO Therapy.
1998 - Yo-be-Lean/Essentials, Inc.
1998 - Andro-forte 100/Essentials, Inc.

Phill wrote:

Phill

The problem is that the extra fructose will be converted into triglycerides and then can be easily stored as fat. You can read about it from:

“Fructose, on the other hand, is metabolized differently due to its structure. In the liver, fructose is metabolized and can replenish glycogen (liver only) or can form triglycerides. Due to the fact that fructose doesn’t cause a substantial rise in blood sugar (it’s too busy filling liver glycogen stores and creating triglycerides), it doesn’t stimulate insulin secretion to any large extent.”

So if I take in 60 grams of Grapefruit juice, “fructose” post workout with my shake and Dan is right in that I can only absorb 30 grams of it which is a problem.

[/quote]

Once again, Dans opinion on fructose is only that. There is no scientific data proving this.
Furthermore,I’ve noticed that I can eat up to seven apples a day without any fat gain–not that I have gained fat before by eating more than that,but with my busy life thats how much I could eat for a few months straight without putting on any fat.

So I know for a fact that I can eat 75 grams consistently without any fat gain.

Cthulhu wrote:
daniel_lamon wrote:

Don’t believe everything you read. If a doctor or a nutritionist is giving you an educated guess,thats fine. But if they are stating their opinions as facts,with no evidence or at least studies to back up what they’re saying, you need to watch that. I’ve never heard of Dan Duchaine,but he sounds like one of those people who take it a little too far to me.

Dan Duchaine the steroid guru was the author of many bodybuilding and steroid articles. Dan Duchaine has been published and quoted in practically every bodybuilding magazine and bodybuilding newsletter circulated.

Dan Duchaine, the steroid guru had also authored The Underground Steroid Handbook, the Underground Steroid Handbook II, BodyOpus, also known as Militant Body Opus, the Dirty Dieting newsletter, and his Danarchy articles.

The Writer Dan Duchaine had personally coached many athletes, bodybuilders and movie stars.

The Chemist Dan Duchaine knew the research. Dan Duchaine did the experiments. The Steroid Guru has fathered the foundations of many of the grey-market supplements as bodybuilders know them today.

Dan Duchaine had also made several guest appearances at many athletic/bodybuilding events, seminars, talk and radio shows including The Nasty Man, 60 Minutes, 20/20, Geraldo, Now It Can Be Told, and The Ronald Reagan Show.

The Infamous Dan Duchaine had no scruples. He told no lies. Dan Duchaine was no holds barred.

1988 - The Steroid Guru
1996 - Muscle Media 2000
1997 - Body Opus

1984 - Dan Duchaine initiated the John Siegler Fan Club - the 1st mail order steroid business.
1985 - Dan Duchaine co-founded Laboratories Milano in Tijuana, MX - the largest black market steroid manufacturing plant.
1988 - Dan Duchaine got off probation - Back to the world of bodybuilding where he continued to advise until his demise on January 12th, 2000.
1990 - The Steroid Guru assisted top Mr. Olympia competitors to pass steroid testing with blocking agents.
1991 - Dan Duchaine was indicted by the US governement for selling GHB and Clenbuterol to Longevity Clubs.

[/quote]

So.
Dan can be perfect and never of told a lie in his whole life.

Thats nice and all,but just because you’re a PHD,MD,or a chemist doesn’t mean you’re never wrong,nor does it mean you ever make mistakes.
Scientists and chemists try to learn more based on what information they already have,not on what they don’t know.

Science changes almost daily now days.

[/quote]

well that is only really talking about post work out and replenishiment sure fine. but the other parts of the day when im having my fruit etc ( which isnt all frutose) im glad that it doesnt sppike my insulin and that it needs conversion in the liver.

Hell I eat prob 8-10 serves of fruit a day and my triglycerides on last check were in the basement so like the other poster said take what you read, even more so with no study to back it up, with a grain of salt.

Phill

Cthulhu wrote:
daniel_lamon wrote:

1988 - The Steroid Guru
1996 - Muscle Media 2000
1997 - Body Opus

[/quote]

A couple of minor corrections. Dan was not a chemist, per se. He had a degree in dramatic arts.

True, he taught himself a lot, but he was not a bonafide chemist. In fact, the guy you knew as Dan Duchaine actually consisted of Dan and several researchers who worked for him.

Secondly, Dan had nothing to do with CLA. Yours truly introduced it to the market, for better or for worse.

Ultimate Orange was great stuff.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
daniel_lamon wrote:
Phill wrote:

Phill

Once again, Dans opinion on fructose is only that. There is no scientific data proving this.
Furthermore,I’ve noticed that I can eat up to seven apples a day without any fat gain–not that I have gained fat before by eating more than that,but with my busy life thats how much I could eat for a few months straight without putting on any fat.

So I know for a fact that I can eat 75 grams consistently without any fat gain.[/quote]

I take in around 80 grams of carbs from grapefruit juice along with 60 grams of WPH post workout and do not gain fat. I know that even if it is stored as fat I would probably not notice it due to the calorie defecate that the workout causes. So even if Dan is right and 50 grams of fructose are stored as fat the body will then break down the fat to replenish the muscle glycogen that was used during the workout.

There is scientific proof that excess fructose that does not go into the liver can turn into triglycerides. I just do not want the fructose to replenish liver glycogen and then be stored as fat and then the fat burned to replenish muscle glycogen as this is just a big waste of time and is not efficient. Hence it is improtant to note how much fructose the human body can utalize in one sitting.

[quote]Phill wrote:
daniel_lamon wrote:

well that is only really talking about post work out and replenishiment sure fine. but the other parts of the day when im having my fruit etc ( which isnt all frutose) im glad that it doesnt sppike my insulin and that it needs conversion in the liver.

Hell I eat prob 8-10 serves of fruit a day and my triglycerides on last check were in the basement so like the other poster said take what you read, even more so with no study to back it up, with a grain of salt.

Phill

[/quote]

I agree that fruit is very important and should never be left out of a eating plan, I was just concerned with the amount of fructose that can be absorbed post workout with out it turning into triglycerides. If I take into much fructose and the liver glycogen becomes full then the excess fructose will be stored as triglycerides and probably then as fat.

I know that the fat would then be burned to replenish muscle glycogen, but I see this as just a big waste of time. Thus I would like to know around how much fructose can be absorbed post workout without.

[quote]TC wrote:
daniel_lamon wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
daniel_lamon wrote:

1988 - The Steroid Guru
1996 - Muscle Media 2000
1997 - Body Opus

A couple of minor corrections. Dan was not a chemist, per se. He had a degree in dramatic arts.

True, he taught himself a lot, but he was not a bonafide chemist. In fact, the guy you knew as Dan Duchaine actually consisted of Dan and several researchers who worked for him.

Secondly, Dan had nothing to do with CLA. Yours truly introduced it to the market, for better or for worse.

[/quote]

Thanks for clarifying that TC! Do you think that he and his chemists were right in that the body only has enough liver enzymes to utilize 30 grams of fructose in a 24 hour period before it turns into triglycerides? Also what do you mean by saying, “for better or for worse.”

Thanks

[quote]nikolo wrote:
Ultimate Orange was great stuff.[/quote]

They make a product called Ultimate Orange, but I do not know if it is the same formulation as the 1994 version. I have some free samples that I got at the Olympia, but I did not notice anything special from it.

nikolo wrote:

They make a product called Ultimate Orange, but I do not know if it is the same formulation as the 1994 version. I have some free samples that I got at the Olympia, but I did not notice anything special from it.[/quote]

Then it’s definitely not the original formula.

lol 30g per 24 hours. True or not true i fail to see how that is useful in any way.

Off subject:

My first bodybuilding magazine purchase was the old mm2k in 1994. It was, IMO, the best bodybuilding magazine that was ever available and due mostly to Dan’s articles.

Dan had (and still has) a huge following. If you wanted to juice and needed info he was your go to guy. There will never be anyone like him again.

When he died, it was a huge loss for the bodybuilding community.

[quote]consumer wrote:
lol 30g per 24 hours. True or not true i fail to see how that is useful in any way.

[/quote]

It is useful to know how much fructose the body can metabolize at one time so you can utilize all of what you take into your body. Since extra fructose that is not metabolized by the liver is then easily converted into triglycerides. The triglycerides can then be easily stored as body fat. If you eat fruit, or take in fruit juice post workout and want to make efficient gains then it is important to not take in any more fructose than your body can digest and utilize. Knowing how much fructose your body can absorb in a 24 hour period is similar to wanting to know how much protein your body can absorb in a day. You wouldn?t go and eat 7 pounds of meat in a day and expect your body to absorb it all.

[quote]nikolo wrote:
daniel_lamon wrote:
nikolo wrote:

They make a product called Ultimate Orange, but I do not know if it is the same formulation as the 1994 version. I have some free samples that I got at the Olympia, but I did not notice anything special from it.

Then it’s definitely not the original formula.

[/quote]

Yea, this product does not have ephedra in it.

Over here, UK, Ultimate Orange had Ma Huang but this was replaced with something called Sida Cordifolia. Sida Cordifolia is basically a plant relative of Ma Huang (Ephedra) that grows in India rather than China.

It contains less concentrations of useful alkaloids than Ma Huang though. However both versions of Ultimate Orange worked well for me, but it was pricey.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459909