T Nation

Damn You Dave Tate: A Review of His New Book,

Let me paint a picture for you...I'm a bouncer at a nightclub, so on Friday and Saturday nights, I usually don't get home until 3 or 4 am.

This Saturday was no different. I got home at 4 am, took a shower, and was preparing to eat my cottage cheese, peanut butter, and vanilla protein powder pre-sleep meal. Then I remembered that I had just received Dave Tate's new book, Under the Bar, free from T-Nation. And so, I began reading...

Now we get to the explanation of my posts' title...I COULDN'T PUT THE BOOK DOWN...I read it in its entirety on that Saturday night...

It really isn't the book that you think it's going to be, and that's not a bad thing. Right off the bat, I was thinking that it was going to be purely about lifting, and how to get good at said lifting. However, this couldn't be further from the truth.

The book is basically about how you can take lessons learned through lifting and apply them to your everyday life. The cover says: "Twelve lessons of life from the world of powerlifting," and this is exactly what you get. The titles are aptly named, Responsibility, Aim, Execution, etc, and Tate does a wonderful job of really explaining how these things are learned lifting, and how they can be used each and every day.

For the lifting fanatics like myself, there are various stories from the trenches. Some will make you laugh, some will make you cry, and some will be stories that have happened to you.

The book is relatively short, only 137 pages, and is really a quick and easy read.

The only negatives about the book were not the fault of the author. There are quite a few typos, some lines repeated, some quotes repeated, and this is obviously due to a problem with the editing process...

I would highly recommend this book to everyone. It is much more than a "self-help" book. It is truly a wonderful book, and even though I am a little biased because I am such a huge fan of Dave Tate, I really believe everyone should have a copy of it...

Thanks go out to T-Nation for allowing me the chance to read this book...