T Nation

Damn Shoulders Being Retarded

So my right shoulder has been jacked up for quite some time now, but now that it's starting to affect my bench press numbers and the fact that their tightness caused a strained tricep today, i figured it's time to get this thing fixed. My left (good) shoulder sits back and down, my right(bad) shoulder likes to go up and roll forward.

I do foam rolling and tennis ball rolling on my shoulder, pecs, and back area around the shoulder, but it's just not getting fixed. Also, when i move my right shoulder around, it kinda feels like it's sticking and pops. Anyone have any clue how to fix this?

Do some rotator cuff work. Branch Warren’s training vid was posted a while back and he always did rotator cuff work of some sort before any heavy lifting.

Or maybe see a professional?

[quote]B.L.U. Ninja wrote:
Do some rotator cuff work. Branch Warren’s training vid was posted a while back and he always did rotator cuff work of some sort before any heavy lifting.

Or maybe see a professional?[/quote]

Ah I can’t go to a professional unless its absolutely necessary. My insurance sucks complete dick at this point

You have a tight and poorly functioning infraspinatus on your right side. You need to get a lax ball, a tennis ball is ok, but not really hard enough for the amount of pressure you are going to need. Basically, you find the MUSCLE of the infraspinatus, which is primarily on the posterior side of the scapula, and look around for any knots, which I guarantee you will find. When you do find a knot, you will feel the muscle light up, it should be pretty sensitive. You need to spend time putting pressure on these knotted adhesive areas, slowly moving your arm in and out of internal and external rotation can help, as can slowly kneading the muscle with very small movements. Then you need to do a sleeper stretch, youtube cressey’s sleeper stretch or use the search function for cressey and sleeper stretch. I had the exact same problem, but only on my left side.

I bet you not only have issues with bench press but also Dumbell flyes, Overhead presses, Pullups, pulldowns, rows, skullcrushers and CG bench presses, just to name a few. In short, this muscle effects every upper body exercise, even isolation movements. You may or may not have noticed some of the above exercises not feeling “just right” do what I said and you will notice the difference. I even noticed a huge difference in barbell curls of all things.

Basically the rotator cuff muscles control what is going on in the shoulder, and the infraspinatus seems extra prone to problems. This will be the biggest difference maker in your upper body weight training you have ever experienced.

I have a similar issue OP. What kind of job do you have? I sit at a desk almost the entire day, so I usually catch myself rounding my shoulders while using the mouse, more so on my right side.

Like BLU said, rotator cuff work. It’s been helping my imbalance each day.

[quote]Rogair wrote:
I have a similar issue OP. What kind of job do you have? I sit at a desk almost the entire day, so I usually catch myself rounding my shoulders while using the mouse, more so on my right side.

Like BLU said, rotator cuff work. It’s been helping my imbalance each day.[/quote]

Im a college student, so i spend a lot of time seated taking notes or doing homework.

And wow, thanks for the help Shadowzz4. I can try a golf ball. I don’t particularly have a problem with any of those exercises, except OH press seems awkward sometimes. Def gonna give this a try. It’s been so long since I’ve felt “locked” and set in my bench press.

oh, and would this fix the thing where you try to touch hands behind your back? Think it’s called a back scratch test. If you know what I’m talking about, then you probably know about that problem too.

[quote]Deadsion wrote:
B.L.U. Ninja wrote:

Ah I can’t go to a professional unless its absolutely necessary. My insurance sucks complete dick at this point[/quote]

Move to Canada? You know, free health care and all. lol.

But yeah, rotator cuff work should be fine.

[quote]Deadsion wrote:
B.L.U. Ninja wrote:

Ah I can’t go to a professional unless its absolutely necessary. My insurance sucks complete dick at this point[/quote]

I have similar issues. Get some ART. If your practitioner is worth a shit, you will have relief after one session.

I do the requisite stretches and self massage, and every 2 or 3 months get one session of ART (when it starts to get uncomfortable again).

Problem solved.

Just last Tuesday my shoulder was so sore I couldn’t drive. Had one ART that night; the next day I was doing close grip benches with 305 plus chains.

It costs me 40 bucks a shot. You can’t swing that every 4-8 weeks?

• Bryan

[quote]Deadsion wrote:
B.L.U. Ninja wrote:

I have similar issues. Get some ART. If your practitioner is worth a shit, you will have relief after one session.

I do the requisite stretches and self massage, and every 2 or 3 months get one session of ART (when it starts to get uncomfortable again).

Problem solved.

Just last Tuesday my shoulder was so sore I couldn’t drive. Had one ART that night; the next day I was doing close grip benches with 305 plus chains.

It costs me 40 bucks a shot. You can’t swing that every 4-8 weeks?

• Bryan

Hmm, I’ll try to see if can find an ART guy/gal. Shit, if it’s that cheap, it would probably be worth it to be pain free.

Start using Db’s for your presses (for a while) and do some facepulls. Worked for me.

wow damn, doing just the stretches stopped my shoulder from sounding/feeling like a concrete mixer. still doesnt feel solid, so ill try the face pulls and some other things to strengthen them sons of bitches.