Damn, Look at Bale Now

[quote]BobParr wrote:

[quote]FrozenNinja wrote:
Christian Bale emaciates himself again to play this role, I don’t see why he just can’t hold his muscle, I doubt the writers demanded him to lose weight for the role, and if he played the role with some muscle I doubt anyone would really nit pick that much. IDK. I know he’s a user in the film, but users do come in all shapes and sizes,

I respect the art of getting into the role…but at some point the body pays the price. The yo-yo effect actors put themselves through to play different roles isn’t necessarily too healthy for the body, I mean lose a couple pounds here or there fine, but blowin up to 205 and then back down to 150 or so isn’t too healthy. I’m just sayin.

Rumor has it that there’ll be another Batman movie and he’s going to have to get up to muscle carrying again…what abuse. [/quote]

Not that he’s ever played action-hero roles like Batman, but I read an article once that mentioned how Tom Hanks actually experienced long term health problems after he first gained and then lost a major amount of weight for that movie where he was marooned on an island.

[/quote]

Cast Away?

Hanks looked the same throughout the entire movie. I remember thinking he was pretty soft for a guy living on coconuts. He wasn’t fat, though. I’m calling bullshit.

[quote]BobParr wrote:

Christian Bale emaciates himself again to play this role, I don’t see why he just can’t hold his muscle, I doubt the writers demanded him to lose weight for the role, and if he played the role with some muscle I doubt anyone would really nit pick that much. IDK. I know he’s a user in the film, but users do come in all shapes and sizes,

I respect the art of getting into the role…but at some point the body pays the price. The yo-yo effect actors put themselves through to play different roles isn’t necessarily too healthy for the body, I mean lose a couple pounds here or there fine, but blowin up to 205 and then back down to 150 or so isn’t too healthy. I’m just sayin.

Rumor has it that there’ll be another Batman movie and he’s going to have to get up to muscle carrying again…what abuse. [/quote]

Not that he’s ever played action-hero roles like Batman, but I read an article once that mentioned how Tom Hanks actually experienced long term health problems after he first gained and then lost a major amount of weight for that movie where he was marooned on an island.

No doubt Bale is also paying a price, but he’s making millions too. And he obviously must like playing a variety of characters - some built and some emaciated, or he’d tell his agent to stop getting him these kinds of roles.

That said, I suspect that Bale might be a natural ectomorph. Left to his own devices and not forced to train hard and eat big, he probably runs to being skinny. Just a little bit of extra calorie restriction, and he gets the junkie-look dialed in.

I remember seeing another actor interviewed - Hugh Jackman - where he was COMPLAINING about how he had to lift a lot of weights and force feed himself lots of protein to play Wolverine. I was left scratching my head thinking “What is there to complain about? I enjoy doing that stuff and nobody’s paying me big bucks to do it.”

To each his own, I suppose.
[/quote]

To be fair Hugh would probably much rather break into a song and dance number than lift.

[quote]Johnny T Frisk wrote:

To be fair Hugh would probably much rather break into a song and dance number than lift.[/quote]

[quote]Cprimero wrote:

Just beautiful. Wow.

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]Cprimero wrote:

Just beautiful. Wow.[/quote]

Fucking hell. What a display of guts and focus.

Those Ward/Gatti fights are among the best I’ve ever seen in boxing.

[quote]giterdone wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]Cprimero wrote:

Just beautiful. Wow.[/quote]

Fucking hell. What a display of guts and focus.[/quote]

The punishment Gatti took would put most men in a coma. Both guys probably felt that round for the rest of the year.

Users come in all shapes and sizes…until I find out more about the movie from friends I’m not going to speculate…but I doubt David Russel was like the guy needs to look skinny or else! IDK i’ll do some research on that…I’m not against guys dropping or adding some weight, it’s the extremes that concern me.

And Christian Bale is an extremist when he plays roles…just like Joaquin Phoenix. He just told everyone his whole act was a fake and the best performance of his career.

I mean look at Tom Cruise, he’s stayed relatively in good shape his whole career…and he was nominated for an Oscar. It can be done. I’m not diggin the extremist role trend that some hollywood actors take. I mean, when does method acting go too far? Engrossing himself so deep in the role of the Joker, many people blame the darkness of the role that contributed to lots of Heath’s final disposition.[/quote]

When was Tom Cruise in a movie where he was in good shape while playing a drug addict? Also, there’s a difference between being fit and having a significant amount of muscle. Yeah he’s been fit, but it’s not like he’s been carrying around a lot of muscle this whole time.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:

I mean look at Tom Cruise, he’s stayed relatively in good shape his whole career…and he was nominated for an Oscar. It can be done. I’m not diggin the extremist role trend that some hollywood actors take. I mean, when does method acting go too far? Engrossing himself so deep in the role of the Joker, many people blame the darkness of the role that contributed to lots of Heath’s final disposition.[/quote]

When was Tom Cruise in a movie where he was in good shape while playing a drug addict? Also, there’s a difference between being fit and having a significant amount of muscle. Yeah he’s been fit, but it’s not like he’s been carrying around a lot of muscle this whole time.[/quote]

Born on the 4th of july? He was an alcoholic though.

Users come in all shapes and sizes…until I find out more about the movie from friends I’m not going to speculate…but I doubt David Russel was like the guy needs to look skinny or else! IDK i’ll do some research on that…I’m not against guys dropping or adding some weight, it’s the extremes that concern me.

And Christian Bale is an extremist when he plays roles…just like Joaquin Phoenix. He just told everyone his whole act was a fake and the best performance of his career.[/quote]

Have you seen any users? I live near Downtown LA and I have never seen a drug addict that was built. I am not talking about being thin/lean.

Also why would the director not want that? The goal is to keep it as real as possible, if the person he is playing was skinny he has to be skinny to. I was told to drop weight for a couple of college plays because they were set in the early 1900’s and I was “too big” to be the lead.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

[quote]BobParr wrote:

[/quote]

Cast Away?

Hanks looked the same throughout the entire movie. I remember thinking he was pretty soft for a guy living on coconuts. He wasn’t fat, though. I’m calling bullshit.[/quote]

Could be it is bullshit. I’m just repeating something I read in a article somewhere. And I saw Castaway so long ago, I don’t remember what Hanks looked like in it. Still, there’s no question that having your weight yo-yo a lot is not good for long term health.

[quote]EvanX wrote:

Also why would the director not want that? The goal is to keep it as real as possible, if the person he is playing was skinny he has to be skinny to. I was told to drop weight for a couple of college plays because they were set in the early 1900’s and I was “too big” to be the lead.[/quote]

I suspect a lot of guys who did heavy manual labor jobs back then but made enough money to eat well were hardly small. And back then you also had people like Eugen Sandow, Louis Cyr, and George Hackenschmidt - the inventor of the hack squat.

[quote]BobParr wrote:
Still, there’s no question that having your weight yo-yo a lot is not good for long term health.[/quote]

Why, exactly? Are there any studies on long term effects of yo-yo-ing?

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

[quote]BobParr wrote:
Still, there’s no question that having your weight yo-yo a lot is not good for long term health.[/quote]

Why, exactly? Are there any studies on long term effects of yo-yo-ing?[/quote]

Yo-yo dieting has been shown to cause saggy breasts in women in their 20’s to 30’s.

[quote]Alderslodge wrote:

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

[quote]BobParr wrote:

Yo-yo dieting has been shown to cause saggy breasts in women in their 20’s to 30’s.
[/quote]

What about men?

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

[quote]BobParr wrote:

[/quote]

What about men?[/quote]

[quote]BobParr wrote:

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

[quote]BobParr wrote:

[/quote]

Cast Away?

Hanks looked the same throughout the entire movie. I remember thinking he was pretty soft for a guy living on coconuts. He wasn’t fat, though. I’m calling bullshit.[/quote]

Could be it is bullshit. I’m just repeating something I read in a article somewhere. And I saw Castaway so long ago, I don’t remember what Hanks looked like in it. Still, there’s no question that having your weight yo-yo a lot is not good for long term health.[/quote]

Haha he definitely looked like shit. For sure a change from the beginning when he leaves on the plane. By the time Wilson starts floating away you can tell he isnt exactly taking in excess calories, pretty thin if I’m remembering correctly.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

[quote]BobParr wrote:

[/quote]

What about men?[/quote]
[/quote]

Saggy tits.

Got it.