Damn Arms!

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
since when did powerlifters exclude direct bicep work? [/quote]

BT: YOU DON’T TRAIN MUSCLES LIKE BICEPS?

Ed Coan: nope, biceps are like ornaments on a xmas tree

I’m not saying everyone avoids direct bicep work or should, but Ed Coan is a pretty smart guy.

[quote]VikingsAD28 wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
since when did powerlifters exclude direct bicep work?

I’m not saying everyone avoids direct bicep work or should, but Ed Coan is a pretty smart guy.[/quote]

Who doesn’t put ornaments on a Christmas tree. That’s just unAmerican, or unchristian or something. The more the better.

If you want big arms train your bi’s and tri’s. If you don’t care, don’t.

[quote]Modi wrote:
VikingsAD28 wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
since when did powerlifters exclude direct bicep work?

I’m not saying everyone avoids direct bicep work or should, but Ed Coan is a pretty smart guy.

Who doesn’t put ornaments on a Christmas tree. That’s just unAmerican, or unchristian or something. The more the better.

If you want big arms train your bi’s and tri’s. If you don’t care, don’t.
[/quote]

I agree that is all this comes down to, some people like to make their Christmas trees look ridiculous, some people go the festivus route and have an unmarked aluminum pole.

I’m with Modi, why not spend the last 10 minutes of a training day or two per week hitting the muscles that don’t get much attention from basic lifts? Bicepts and calvfs, no need to train them like a bodybuilder but hell just throw in some preachers once or twice a week.

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:
Invictica wrote:
No, because I don’t get upset when people talk to me about things I don’t care about.

…I feel exactly the same way… Plus, it takes ALOT for people to even scratch my ego (mainly because I don’t have any). I’m a very humble guy in my humble opinion.[/quote]

No one cares…
/TYPE2B

[quote]brauny96 wrote:
begin rant I AM SICK OF PEOPLE COMMENTING ON MY ARMS AND SAYING I NEED TO DO MORE BICEPTS! BICEPTS ARE NOT A THING IN MY WORKOUT ROUTINE ALL THE DAMN TIME I DINT CARE HOW BIG THEY GET. I AM WORRIED ABOUT BREAKING RECORDS IN POWERLIFTING AND BEING ABLE TO SQUAT 1000. I DONT ASK HOW MUCH YOU BECNCH, I ASK HOW MUCH YOU SQUAT! I DONT CARE THAT YOU GOT 20 INCH ARMS, I MAY NEVER CUZ I WILL NEVER CARE ENOUGH!!! end rant

does anyone out there feel the same!?[/quote]

can anyone else practically smell the arrogance of this??

He seems like a young guy with sort of the right idea looking for acceptance. Maybe we could cut him some slack?

[quote]Wilba wrote:
He seems like a young guy with sort of the right idea looking for acceptance. Maybe we could cut him some slack?[/quote]

I agree, he is kinda getting hammered on this thread.

i think excluding direct bicep work is stupid period. why have big triceps and no biceps?

i mean just because you train for a sport doesnt mean you cant do other things. just seems like going out of your way to prove some faux elitist-agenda bullshit.

its not what he says its the way he says it he just sounds so arrogant.

i think excluding direct bicep work is stupid period. why have big triceps and no biceps?

i mean just because you train for a sport doesnt mean you cant do other things. just seems like going out of your way to prove some faux elitist-agenda bullshit.[/quote]

i agree totaly!:slight_smile:

Well your missing the point, building big arms is all about big triceps so maybe you should just train tris more. (sarcasm)

[quote]horsepuss wrote:
Well your missing the point, building big arms is all about big triceps so maybe you should just train tris more. (sarcasm)[/quote]

totally agree

people should just do barbell rows for rear delts too

horsepuss wrote:
Well your missing the point, building big arms is all about big triceps so maybe you should just train tris more. (sarcasm)

totally agree

people should just do barbell rows for rear delts too[/quote]

I do BB rows for calves, Mind muscle connection you know.

i think excluding direct bicep work is stupid period. why have big triceps and no biceps?[/quote]

Because biceps do not do much in certain strength sports. In addition to that a weight classed strength athlete needs the majority of his mass in the most effective muscle groups and biceps serve a less important role, relative to your triceps.

When Taner Sagir, Pyrros Dimas, and Lu Yong start doing incline curls, then I will retract my statement.

[quote]VikingsAD28 wrote:
Wilba wrote:
He seems like a young guy with sort of the right idea looking for acceptance. Maybe we could cut him some slack?

I agree, he is kinda getting hammered on this thread.[/quote]

awell sure he’ll never squat 1000 or have 20inch arms soo /thread

[quote]Invictica wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

Because biceps do not do much in certain strength sports. In addition to that a weight classed strength athlete needs the majority of his mass in the most effective muscle groups and biceps serve a less important role, relative to your triceps.

When Taner Sagir, Pyrros Dimas, and Lu Yong start doing incline curls, then I will retract my statement. [/quote]

when you compete in an unlimited weight class i dont think it matters. and when guys start either

getting elite totals, nevermind breaking records

or

having a shot at the olympics

they can worry about if that extra 3 pounds from their huge biceps will effect their lifts at all.

[quote]elano wrote:
I’m with Modi, why not spend the last 10 minutes of a training day or two per week hitting the muscles that don’t get much attention from basic lifts? Bicepts and calvfs, no need to train them like a bodybuilder but hell just throw in some preachers once or twice a week.[/quote]

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=95738&tid=126

Calves, you say?

Invictica wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

When Taner Sagir, Pyrros Dimas, and Lu Yong start doing incline curls, then I will retract my statement.

when you compete in an unlimited weight class i dont think it matters. and when guys start either

or

they can worry about if that extra 3 pounds from their huge biceps will effect their lifts at all.
[/quote]

But I wasn’t referring to super heavies.

Look, If you’re a strength enthusiast just looking to get a little strong, I can see where you’re coming from. Bicep training is definetly okay. But if you’re a serious competitor, trying to put up a qualifying totals, be it at the state or national level, bicep training has no place in your program. Why put 3lbs in your biceps when you can put it on your back and legs? Even if its small, it will help your lifts. Besides the weight issue, you’re wasting time and energy that could be used to tune your form.

This is speaking strictly from an O-Lifting point of view. I don’t know anything about powerlifting and biceps.

[quote]Invictica wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
Invictica wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

or

But I wasn’t referring to super heavies.

Look, If you’re a strength enthusiast just looking to get a little strong, I can see where you’re coming from. Bicep training is definetly okay. But if you’re a serious competitor, trying to put up a qualifying totals, be it at the state or national level, bicep training has no place in your program. Why put 3lbs in your biceps when you can put it on your back and legs? Even if its small, it will help your lifts. Besides the weight issue, you’re wasting time and energy that could be used to tune your form.

This is speaking strictly from an O-Lifting point of view. I don’t know anything about powerlifting and biceps.

[/quote]

to me it just seems over exaggerated. one of those things where the theory and practicum dont match. although i cant show any O-lifters who do train biceps, i dont follow that sport at all. but im sure plenty of PLers train bi’s and shoulders.