T Nation

Damitt: Another Iraq Conspiracy

Giuliana Sgrena, who writes for the communist newspaper Il Manifesto, is running around stating that her car was not speeding AND she recieved no warning from American soldiers when her car was fired on by American soldiers at a checkpoint.

To add insult to injury, she states:

"Suddenly, she said, she remembered her captors’ warning her “to be careful because the Americans don’t want you to return.”

Damitt…1500 plus of these young American kids have been killed, mostly by things like roadside bombs, booby traps and suicide runs…so what is the conspiracy…they just wanted to kill an Italian communist because we are known to hate communist???

I think they warned her as she was speeding toward a checkpoint…they were speeding and didn’t heed the warning…and the Americans opened fire because the reality is that they could have very easily been a suicide bomber…

Okay…let’s hear it…I’m sure there is at least one of you with an “American Conspiracy” theory…

Bring it on…please…

Mufasa

Onw what Mufasa wrote:

Any car close to speeding to my checkpoint and the hell if I wouldn’t open up.

It’s been mentioned on the news that the car had already passed a few other checkpoints not long before with no problems.

I see no need for a conspiracy theory; it’s probably some bad communications or an honest mistake. Killing communist reporters “to fight communism” is a laughable idea.

You put reporters in a war zone, some of them will get hurt or killed eventually.

Afraid of getting killed? Report on Martha Stewart instead.

My brother-in-law has told me horror stories about working those checkpoints. If the truth be told, that’s probably whre most of the innocents are dying - at checkpoints.

Not at the hands of sadistic torture-bent intel guys, as some would have you believe. It’s at the hands of E-2’s and E-3’s who are scared shitless and open fire on a car that won’t stop, or even slow down at the checkpoints.

I’m sure the Italian chick will make a big deal out of this, and may even ask the ACLU to get involved (big surprise there). But if she was speeding as our guys say she was then she becomes a car bomber, a terrorist, and the shooting was caused by her own ignorance.

I’ve been keeping my mouth shut in the political debates because I get myself all worked over a few dopes in these froums but I had to read and respond to this one.

That woman should be glad she didn’t take one to the head herself. Ya, I’m sure her car obeyed all checkpoint rules and our boys just needed a little more target practice, right?

If her “story” goes any further and actually gains ANY traction, I think I may go insane… finally!

The reporters know that they put their lives at risk when they go to any war zone. It is sad this happened, and when things like this happen.

That being said, if we actually didn’t want her to get back, she would not have gotten back. We just need to wait for the whole story. Friendly fire is an unfortunate fact of war. And we also need to realize she is a little pissed off right now, with reason of course, but remember that when you hear anything she says right now.

The best way for us to understand is if an American reporter was shot by French troops by accident. How would people respond to that? I know talk radio would be all over it.

I don’t really think that the “truth” will ever come out…

There are FAR more people willing to blame these kids (yes…most of them at these checkpoints are kids, mostly WELL seasoned at this point) than to tell this woman that she and her entoutage screwed up…and you can be sure that the American GI’s and Marines will get NO sympathy in Europe…

Yes…it’s tragic that someone was killed at this checkpoint…but it’s even MORE tragic that thousands of innocent Iraqis and American Soldiers and Marines have been killed and maimed at the hands of suicide bombers, booby traps and roadside bombs…

So…what “conspiracy theory” does she and the Italian’s have? I’m VERY curious on this one.

(By the way…a “checkpoint”, in a warzone like Iraq isn’t a single entity (like you may see at a U.S. base in the States…)

It’s more of a composite gauntlet, composed of a series of “stations”, each with increasing levels of security as one gets closer and closer to a defined area. This prevents miles and miles of backed-up people and vehicles, which in Iraq would be a tempting target for terrorist…)

I point this out because one could more easily get through these preliminary stations, but be required to stop at a more sensitive area…

Mufasa

Okay…now I know what the top conspiracy theory is…

Sgrena has publically stated the following:

“It was possible they were targeted deliberately because the United States opposes Italy’s policy of negotiating with kidnappers”…

Geez…

Mufasa

Mufasa,

I guess I’ll have to stop reading Sgrena.

Oh, wait, I never have.

Continuing to espouse Communism in 2005 is quite sad.

JeffR

JeffR:

I agree…

You know what’s even more rediculous?

That in the 3-5 seconds that these kids had to make a decision that could potentially be lethal to them and all those around them…that they somehow were supposed to analyze all the political ramifications…

Like…“Hey…these COULD be Italians… and we all know they negotiate with Terrorist…so let’s take 'em out…”

Am I the only one who thinks that the theories of the Italians goes BEYOND rediculous???

Mufasa

If the americans wanted her dead, she wouldn’t be shooting her mouth off!

She writes for a communist paper, and reports are that they were traveling at very high speeds. The problem is that we accidentally shot a person with an agenda.

You’re right, guys…

It just seems like SHE had more of an agenda than those kids at that checkpoint…

Mufasa

Another thing…

I sure as hell hope that another one of our guys doesn’t have to take a fall because the incident is currently being “thoroughly and aggressively investigated…”

That often means that one of our guys will have to take a “fall on the sword…”

Damn…

Mufasa

It’s an accident caused by scared kids not following procedure. There is no conspiracy.

But you can understand that her feelings are all over the place. She was kidnapped, then released, and just when she thought she was safe, a hail of gunfire blasts into her car. The intelligence officer alongside her is brutally slain. How would you react after this happened to you?

I don’t know if your question was rhetorical or not…but I’ll bite…

1. Give it some space and time to get over my shock and grief before making inflammatory public statements…

2. Gather the facts AFTER that time has passed (she is a reporter…)

3. Respond to what the facts reveal…

Then again…waiting for facts probably wouldn’t make me a good reporter, now would it?

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
I don’t know if your question was rhetorical or not…but I’ll bite…

1. Give it some space and time to get over my shock and grief before making inflammatory public statements…

2. Gather the facts AFTER that time has passed (she is a reporter…)

3. Respond to what the facts reveal…

Then again…waiting for facts probably wouldn’t make me a good reporter, now would it?

Mufasa[/quote]

You’re full of it. You haven’t put yourself in her position at all. You’re saying you would react in a totally rational way to a shocking emotional situation.

I don’t believe in what she is saying, the conspiracy nonsense. But I think we should give her a bit of leeway.

It’s also funny how no American on this forum feels the need to apologise for the dead Italian, either. Instead, you put the blame on her, without knowing all the facts. Maybe her car was speeding. Maybe the scared 19 year old farmboys just opened up. It seems strange that the car would be speeding, after it had already passed through other checkpoints in the correct fashion.

“…I don’t believe in what she is saying, the conspiracy nonsense. But I think we should give her a bit of leeway…”

Fair enough…that IS rational…

Let’s hope that she and the Italians give those kids at the checkpoint the same amount of leeway…

Mufasa

[quote]deanosumo wrote:
It’s an accident caused by scared kids not following procedure. There is no conspiracy.

But you can understand that her feelings are all over the place. She was kidnapped, then released, and just when she thought she was safe, a hail of gunfire blasts into her car. The intelligence officer alongside her is brutally slain. How would you react after this happened to you?[/quote]

I would have fucking stopped when they told me to stop. I wouldn’t be in her shoes. I think her contempt for the U.S. caused the death of an innocent person.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
deanosumo wrote:

But you can understand that her feelings are all over the place. She was kidnapped, then released, and just when she thought she was safe, a hail of gunfire blasts into her car. The intelligence officer alongside her is brutally slain. How would you react after this happened to you?

I would have fucking stopped when they told me to stop. I wouldn’t be in her shoes. I think her contempt for the U.S. caused the death of an innocent person.
[/quote]

Yeah, it’s never the Americans fault. Those stupid arrogant foreigners. Keep out of the way of our bullets.