Damage Control

Hey, guys.
So, here’s my situation. I’ve spent the past two years and change gaining and I’ve gone from a pathetic 170 at 6’1" to a high of 258 about a week ago. The problem is, I’ve gotten too soft. Being brutally honest with myself, I’d say I’m in the high teens bf% at the least. So, I was hoping some of you could chime in and give me some pointers on how to tighten up a little.

I don’t want to do a full-out cut, but would like to get into the low teens again. I have a few ideas, but I’m not sure how to go about things. Shorter rest periods? Conditioning work? I was thinking of adding in three days of incline treadmill walking a week. Would this be enough? It would be cool to hear from Stu, DoubleDuce, and some of you other lean guys. So, tell me. How did you guys get so lean and awesome?

It will mostly come down to eating and nutrition, not just conditioning. How does your diet look? What is your lifting pattern?

You post on this site and honestly believe you lack the information to “tighten up a little”? If so, you should spend less time conversing with Mr. cheeseburger. Actually thinking about it, your post incl. your choice of words is almost ironic.

Anyway, I give you a hint: the answer you seek has to do with the stuff that made you fat in the first place.

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:
You post on this site and honestly believe you lack the information to “tighten up a little”? If so, you should spend less time conversing with Mr. cheeseburger. Actually thinking about it, your post incl. your choice of words is almost ironic.

Anyway, I give you a hint: the answer you seek has to do with the stuff that made you fat in the first place.[/quote]

+1 to all of that. To be a bit more helpful, I’d say that even some cardio can go a long way and that you should neaten up your diet. If you don’t know how to neaten up your diet, then spend some time reading things on this site.

The search function is very helpful.

Anyway, I give you a hint: the answer you seek has to do with the stuff that made you fat in the first place.[/quote]
Yeah seriously. Posse membership revoked. You’re probably above the teens and need to cut for a while.

My answer is iifym and keep lowering cals slowly. Oh and read the contest prep threads

[quote]J. Prufrock wrote:
Hey, guys.
So, here’s my situation. I’ve spent the past two years and change gaining and I’ve gone from a pathetic 170 at 6’1" to a high of 258 about a week ago.[/quote]

I doubt it’s relevant at all, I’m just curious.

How much strength did you gain in those two years?

[quote]browndisaster wrote:

Yeah seriously. Posse membership revoked. You’re probably above the teens and need to cut for a while.

My answer is iifym and keep lowering cals slowly. Oh and read the contest prep threads [/quote]

This was my first thought. If you think you’re in the high teens, you’re probably closer to mid-20’s. I think iifym is ridiculous for the most part. Look into Nate Miyaki’s stuff here. That dude knows his shit.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

Hey, guys.
So, here’s my situation. I’ve spent the past two years and change gaining and I’ve gone from a pathetic 170 at 6’1" to a high of 258 about a week ago.[/quote]

How much strength did you gain in those two years?
[/quote]

What examples were you looking for? What would you like to know?

If I were in your situation, I’d keep my lifting days pretty much the same…3-4 days/week.

Add in 2 HIIT sessions for 20-30 mins and 1 semi-easy SSC session for 30-45 mins.

Once I’ve done that, if I’m losing ~1-2lbs/week, good to go. If not, I’d start cutting some carbs on non-workout days.

Once that stops working, start cutting some cals…300-500 at a time and reassess every 2-3 weeks.

Also, thanks for the input guys.

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:
If I were in your situation, I’d keep my lifting days pretty much the same…3-4 days/week.

Add in 2 HIIT sessions for 20-30 mins and 1 semi-easy SSC session for 30-45 mins.

Once I’ve done that, if I’m losing ~1-2lbs/week, good to go. If not, I’d start cutting some carbs on non-workout days.

Once that stops working, start cutting some cals…300-500 at a time and reassess every 2-3 weeks.

[/quote]

This is what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch.

[quote]Lo Rez wrote:

How much strength did you gain in those two years? [/quote]
It’s totally relevant. The snapshots above are from the Training Personal Records Pt. 3 (top) and the First Annual BULKING race (bottom).

Gaining significant bodyweight (90 pounds in 2 years) while strength absolutely plateaued for 8 months is an easy way to set up fat gain. Unless there was an injury or other major issue I didn’t see somewhere.

Being brutally honest with myself, I’d say I’m in the high teens bf% at the least.[/quote]
Percentage doesn’t matter all that much, but, honest talk - based on your pic 3 months ago in your training log, anything in the teens is generous, especially since you’ve gained more since then. You’re an easy 20.

Getting you into the “low teens” from where you probably are now (based on that pic), would absolutely require a 100% dedicated cut. So, what are your exact goals?

Any of those training tweaks, in addition to cleaning up your diet, would definitely be a good place to start. Step number one to cleaning up your diet is to stop the gallon of whole milk a day.

Lol at being a ?lean? guy. I?m probably in the teens for BF%. But I?ll take the compliment, especially being in a list with stu. My current method is to only eat a few carbs around training (I like coconut water), don?t eat any grains or starches, ensure a moderate amount of protein, eat all the fat and veggies (low carb) I want, and eat whenever I get hungry.

That has me at about 200 pounds with some vascularity in my delts/traps/arms/chest and breaking all my strength PRs from when I was fat while not counting calories or doing any real worrying about food.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Lo Rez wrote:

How much strength did you gain in those two years? [/quote]
It’s totally relevant. The snapshots above are from the Training Personal Records Pt. 3 (top) and the First Annual BULKING race (bottom).

Gaining significant bodyweight (90 pounds in 2 years) while strength absolutely plateaued for 8 months is an easy way to set up fat gain. Unless there was an injury or other major issue I didn’t see somewhere.

Being brutally honest with myself, I’d say I’m in the high teens bf% at the least.[/quote]
Percentage doesn’t matter all that much, but, honest talk - based on your pic 3 months ago in your training log, anything in the teens is generous, especially since you’ve gained more since then. You’re an easy 20.

Getting you into the “low teens” from where you probably are now (based on that pic), would absolutely require a 100% dedicated cut. So, what are your exact goals?

Any of those training tweaks, in addition to cleaning up your diet, would definitely be a good place to start. Step number one to cleaning up your diet is to stop the gallon of whole milk a day.[/quote]

I appreciate it, CC. The numbers given in the two threads do look bad when placed together like that. In the “pr” thread, I had been running SS and in the more recent thread I had been focusing less on strength training. Either way, I get your point. I don’t do the whole milk thing anymore. I learned my lesson. I guess I’ll just start by adding in a few conditioning days and watching my carbs from now on.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Lol at being a ?lean? guy. I?m probably in the teens for BF%. But I?ll take the compliment, especially being in a list with stu. My current method is to only eat a few carbs around training (I like coconut water), don?t eat any grains or starches, ensure a moderate amount of protein, eat all the fat and veggies (low carb) I want, and eat whenever I get hungry.

That has me at about 200 pounds with some vascularity in my delts/traps/arms/chest and breaking all my strength PRs from when I was fat while not counting calories or doing any real worrying about food.[/quote]

Awesome, DD. Thanks for your input.

I don’t do the whole milk thing anymore. I learned my lesson.[/quote]

Someday I might learn that lesson. Haven’t yet. But that’s me and me alone. In fact, I’m about 10 minutes away from buying another gallon.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

I don’t do the whole milk thing anymore. I learned my lesson.[/quote]

Someday I might learn that lesson. Haven’t yet. But that’s me and me alone. In fact, I’m about 10 minutes away from buying another gallon.
[/quote]

Hey, if it’s working for you. I can’t judge.

Just to offer some perspective… I am about 190, with much better lifts (similar bench though), and I am probably around mid-20s bodyfat % (granted I am estimating)… I am also 5’9", but you may want to consider the fact that you are FAR above your initial BF% estimate.

[quote]MickyGee wrote:
Just to offer some perspective… I am about 190, with much better lifts (similar bench though), and I am probably around mid-20s bodyfat % (granted I am estimating)… I am also 5’9", but you may want to consider the fact that you are FAR above your initial BF% estimate.[/quote]
To the OP, 258 even at 25% bodyfat would be close to 193 lbs lean body mass, which is quite a bit, given how little you lift. I am guessing also that that is an underestimate by a bit.

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]MickyGee wrote:
Just to offer some perspective… I am about 190, with much better lifts (similar bench though), and I am probably around mid-20s bodyfat % (granted I am estimating)… I am also 5’9", but you may want to consider the fact that you are FAR above your initial BF% estimate.[/quote]
To the OP, 258 even at 25% bodyfat would be close to 193 lbs lean body mass, which is quite a bit, given how little you lift. I am guessing also that that is an underestimate by a bit.[/quote]

Well, I haven’t actually tested bench or squat for quite a bit, if that’s what you are getting at. I just hit 385x5 on deadlift the other day. I decline benched 235 for a total of 22 rest-paused, as I do DC. I have no comparison for squat though. I don’t think leg press or a super squat can be compared.