T Nation

Damage Control On High Volume

Hey CT!
In one of your previous post, you said that one should train the way it motivates him the best. I know it goes againts everything you’ve been posting about natural training recently, but A more traditional, higher volume training (e.g Meadows style), lower frequency training has always been more enjoyable, motivating for me than a low volume, high intensity style. I know that one is not judged by how hard he works in the gym, and progress matters only, but when I was trying your failure approach or Yates style training, it was a “psychological battle” to fight the urge to do more, no matter the results. In fact, after a while I lost my motivation because of it. That being said, keeping in mind what you recently posted about natural training, could you provide some examples what can be done to control the “damage” from a higher volume training if one favours a higher volume, low frequency approach?
Thanks in advance!

Not only is it more enjoyable for you, it is the way the vast majority of successful natural bodybuilders train!

This is also the way that most natty bodybuilders don’t train, which is another way of saying what I wrote above: they do the opposite: high volume, avoiding failure, some shortened range of motions on some lifts with a more pumping style rather than a “power building” approach.

It’s very simple and what I did for some workouts towards the end of my prep and what I do when I need a so-called reload. Reduce the weight and/or reduce the sets to 70% of what’s usually done and stay away from failure and still train for the same reps one usually does despite the reduction in sets and weight. So, if one usually does 12 sets for chest, he can do 8 sets. If he uses 200 pounds in an exercise for 8-10 reps, he can use 140 pounds for 8-10 reps.

It’s that simple.

Actually, if you look at some of Meadows, he has also moved to a more frequency vs volume model in some of his most recent programs, and he has had good success with this style. I am not sure I would compare CTs stuff with traditional Yates or HIT Training. If you look back at some of the old Mentzer or Yates routines, there is still a decent amount of volume comparably in CT’s stuff.