Dallas Sniper Attack

Mufasa,

I know you are trying to be fair here, but honestly Obama has not been impartial with his behavior. This is best reflected in the electorate. Democrats during Obama’s presidency lost 11 governorships, 13 U.S. Senate seats, 69 House seats, and 913 state legislative seats and 30 state legislative chambers.

People are not going to put up with the typical bullshit of letting politicians run their mouths anymore, and by no means does this exempt Hillary or Trump. The voters have to make it clear…you will get thrown out on your ass if you don’t deliver.

The LA riots after Rodney King?

In any case, this is a silly argument to make.

There was no social media during those presidencies.

People had no iphones.

And vice versa.

1 Like

Max:

I have read FAR too many Biographies of U.S. Presidents; American History; and of the Founders (David McCullough is perhaps my favorite; is he too “Liberal” in Conservative circles? I really would like to know); to view ANY President as either Deity (e.g. Reagan) or Satan Incarnate (Obama).

They are all flawed humans; with human imperfections; in the most difficult position in the World.

And guess what? They all do some good things…and they all screw up on occasion.

I have learned that History usually takes a more even-handed look at a President than the Partisan Hacks that exist during their tenure.

Do I think that President Obama will go down as our “best” President ever? (No…to me that is Washington).

Will he be our “worst”? Again…no. (Contrary to what Zeb and other Conservatives believe).

But he will be historic…and most likely due to the highly disparate and vitriolic views on his tenure, will be one of the most written about in History.

1 Like

Not as far as I know. McCullough is perhaps the best modern historical biographer there is. I can sit and watch his interviews and talks for days and read his books lightning fast. The man is incredibly thorough, and a good writer to boot. I think he is universally respected.

Washington is also the only president to probably be universally respected too.

Me too, Aragorn!

I could listen to McCullough for hours. The sad part is that people views are SO partisan and biased; I wonder if there will ever be a historian (and Biographer) like him. I hope so.

The other thing I like is how he makes these often “mythical” figures human…NOT by interjecting his own bias…but based the the writings, letters, etc. of the figures themselves.

McCullough has said (paraphrasing) that his interest always was…and always will be…understanding the person and their underlying motivations, frailties and imperfections.

1 Like

Which is exactly how a biographer and historian should operate. That’s gold standard.

Considering I am vehemently politically incorrect (those who know me, know the degree), and having my face and name on this forum, I have to watch, REALLY watch, what I post on here because we know politically incorrect people can be persecuted in the current day. But I must say I am enjoying the seemingly endless statements of false piety on social media–resulting in just loads of sinister chuckles here–especially from fitness personalities who likely never were or are burdened with the inconveniences and miseries of everyday life (one can interpret this with common sense).

1 Like

Oh I see, social media and iphones have caused racial unrest…LOL

I never denied this. In fact, I totally agree with you. Every President has had his faults for certain. But every other President up to Obama has actually tried to make the country better by first reaching across the isle. Reagan did it with Tip O’Neil, Clinton did it with Newt Gingrich to name just two examples. Obama thinks he’s king, he spits on the constitution on a regular basis. He is so far left that he thinks compromise is a dirty word. And I think at the root of the many, many mistakes that he’s made is that fact.

Other than that major flaw he seems to be a bit disengaged regarding world events. He’s quick to comment when a black man is jailed or shot (the community organizer in him). But, he’s not so quick to take action aboard and when he does it’s the wrong action, like pulling ALL of our troops out of Iraq and giving birth to Isis. Okay…enough it would take probably 16 or 17 pages to list Obama’s many failures. If you can’t see them by now you won’t see them by me putting them down in print.

Social media allows news that would otherwise stay local and generally out of the national eye reach a far greater audience.

It also helps to create an echo chamber.

Recent models of the Iphone basically gives everyone a recording device in their hand that works quite well.

2 Likes

More than that, cellphones have given everyone a platform from which to preach whatever bullshit they choose. Before cellphones, you had to have actual talent to have a media platform, now any crazy fool can be seen and heard, and even worse they can meet up with other crazies to have one big crazy fest.

3 Likes

I agree with you. Which means:

1. People over react based on a scant 1 minute video.

2. The system was never perfect and now it has to be put under a microscope because everyone with an IQ of at least 85 understands how to take a video with their phone.

So…things have not gotten worse its just that now they rush to judgment over things they know nothing about based on tiny shreds of evidence usually meant to make the cops look bad.

My…how we have advanced!

That is one of the things that I most despise about social media. Before social media the morons would either sit on park benches and complain, or take a stool at the neighborhood bar and talk about how things should be more like the way they want them to be.

We are living in a world of fools breaking us down…

1 Like

…And the grand irony is the educated left wing media gets the hand off from the fools and further pushes its agenda.

Glorious

Educated left wing ?

Our society is getting more and more stupid with each passing generation, and Liberals have owned the school systems for decades.

2 Likes

I’m taking about the media elite. They are left wing and yes highly educated. Keep in mind that highly educated does not necessarily mean intelligent. I think there are enough of those on this site to give you an idea of what I’m talking about.

I agree with you, pretty much down the line.

I think the solution starts with the media. They need check their moral barometer because I think it’s way off. Their desire to feed and fan the flames to keep them relevant and keep people glued to the tube. The media needs to take the initiative to center more on fact based reporting rather than taking advantage of the high emotional charge of the issue and in essence use the news as a tool to make more news.

They do not need to focus on stories on how people feel save for the victims of a particular incident. We do not need to know how Creflo Dollar, Iggy Azalea, a black panther, a guy down the road, someone who drove by with in the last day, etc. feel about what happened. It’s not news and it only feeds the flames.

The media needs to focus on the police brutality in a fact based, racially neutral manner and let the facts speak for themselves. If the facts reveal a racial disparity in cases of neglect or deliberate abuse of power by policemen, then at least we’ll know what the specific problem is and perhaps even resolve it.
Feeding the “feelings” feeding frenzy is creating news.
It’s been revealed in some instances during recent protests that people are specifically acting out for the cameras. Everybody want’s to be famous.

Like in baseball games, they do not show streekers or other hoodlums who jump on the field it would be helpful if the media swore not to show deliberate violence designed for the cameras.

Bottom line, the media needs to report the all the facts and omit feeling content.

I know this will not happen. But this is where it needs to start, with actual fair, balanced reporting of news facts.

We won’t get it. The present day is a wet dream for the media. The get to report news and make the news by the way they report it. The contribute, heavily, to the problem.

2 Likes

The last time I saw the approval rating of the media, it was in the single digits. There is no business in the world that would follow that model. No one would go to a restaurant, or buy a product from a business that had such abysmal approval numbers.

For example, let’s look at some facts:

I enjoy David McCullough too. His John Adams bio was top notch as well as the book 1776.

1 Like