Dairy and Prostate Cancer

a friend of mine the other day told me that people who drink too much dairy have a higher chance of prostate cancer.
so is this just another pointless myth or is there some truth to it?

Well, getting too much calcium can lower vitamin D levels, which in turn may promote prostate cancer as vitamin D is protective.

just read an article online in men’s health (easy gents)compairing soy isolate to whey. in the article(no name author) some health claims are stated comparing soy to whey in the cholesterol and kidney dept. as well as prostate health.

i’ve been taking whey exclusively. i just rec’d. results of a very thorough blood test and for the first time my chol. levels were up, my hdl was down, my ldl was up and triglicerides were higher. coincidence ??? also i had a slight kidney infection !!! first time ever, coincidence??? AND my psa levels were higher !!! mine are always on the high side but it was highest ever. coincidence ??? very doubtful.

soy is rec. by dr. Wiel, dr. Oz, to name a few. pretty reputable guys.
the article made some pretty fine comparisons BUT i will not go there.
at 59 my health should come before building muscle, so i’m making the switch. “maybe” still take whey after a workout but my shakes will be made with soy. another blood test in 6 mo’s. and i’ll see what happens.

sure there aren’t many soy users here, if any, but this site is loaded with info and any help in suggesting what to look for in a soy powder (or rec. brandfs) would be appreciated. it seems like it must be an isolate is all i know.
TIA
Mike

Who knows? Groups like PETA have been pushing so many lies for so long about dairy it is hard to tell.

Mike,

Good thoughts.

I believe soy has been overly demonized the last little while. While not favourable for everybody I do think it has it’s uses for a small subset of people.

Since I’ve found I have low estrogen levels, I’ve been supplementing with soy extracts. I’ve had great improvements with my back pain, energy levels, recovery from exercise, and clearer skin.

Not everyone has high estrogen levels, hypothyroidism, low testosterone, etc… I think it’s important to look at the other side of the bell curve once in awhile, rather than what the majority may have. For some people lowering estrogen levels will cause a number of health problems.

It was probably just placebo effect.

Actually, I had a friend experience the exact same thing. It makes me wonder if it’s isolated to a specific part of the population or if we’re all screwed.

[quote]mike59 wrote:

i’ve been taking whey exclusively. i just rec’d. results of a very thorough blood test and for the first time my chol. levels were up, my hdl was down, my ldl was up and triglicerides were higher. coincidence ??? [/quote]