Dairy and Bodybuilding

Hey guys, as I’ve gone through the forums I’ve noticed some quite different opinions when it comes to dairy products.

Generally, most people think that cottage cheese is good before bed as the protein is slow-digesting. But what about having dairy as a large part of a diet? Some people say “Leave milk for babies,” some say that it can cause bloating, and yet some swear by many glasses of milk a day.

So, what’s the deal? Has anyone noticed any personal effects from cutting back? What do ya’ll think?

I don’t believe I’ve ever seen the phrase “leave milk for babies” on T-Nation until just now. I think if you read some more, you will find lots of people using all sorts of dairy products.

The problem with milk is the lactose. If you can digest lactose without problems, then you have no reason to exclude dairy. If you have lactose issues, then you should probably minimize it.

ive heard the milk baby shit phrase so much from bodybuilders, arnie says it in pumping iron, but never on T-Nation. I love milk! such an easy source of protein. you have 3 8oz glasses a day and BOOM, thats 25g more protein, and some healthy fats to boot!

Great for gaining weight.

I live off dairy; cottage cheese, milk, yogurt etc.

Of course in Canada it’s all polar bear milk…

Milk is great for gaining weight.

And, by the way, in Education of a Bodybuilder, Arnold reccomends several glasses of milk a day to gain weight…just FYI…girlfriend.

Arnold was known for saying shit that would throw off his competitors. It is amazing that one simple phrase in a documentary done decades ago still has that much of an impact on what anyone believes.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Arnold was known for saying shit that would throw off his competitors. It is amazing that one simple phrase in a documentary done decades ago still has that much of an impact on what anyone believes.[/quote]

Just like, “Working out is like sex. It makes you feel like you’re coming all day.”

Oh wait. Isn’t that one true?

[quote]David Barr wrote:

Of course in Canada it’s all polar bear milk…[/quote]

Has moose milk fallen out of favor these days?

Arnold was known for saying shit that would throw off his competitors. It is amazing that one simple phrase in a documentary done decades ago still has that much of an impact on what anyone believes.[/quote]

If you recall, he first states that he drinks whole milk (I think somebody asks him if he drinks skim milk), then he says something like, “Milk is for babies; drink beer.”

Does anyone think Arnold drank beer for his physique? He was just fucking around, probably.

By the way, can milk fat really be classified as “healthy fats”? Isn’t it mostly saturated fat?

I think the issue is more about the fairly high sugar content. Personally, I add milk when bulking, but stay away from it when cutting (sometimes just swapping water for milk in protein shakes is an easy way to slowly add calories without having to change your diet up too much). Although, as an FFB I’m pretty sensitive to carbs, particularly sugar.

Well Milk is for babies, and alos for anyone looking to Grow and pack on Lbs. be it BBer or baby.

Yes it is largely Sat fats but they are NOT bad. Sat fats in general are not bad as long as they are not in excess. You NEEED them. But also need your polys and monos.

Problem being much of todays americans and ppl in the populated world get way to much. Many who take up the clean eating life ebnd up shorting themselves on sat fats and that s not good either and has direct connection to hormone production. Namely T level.

Once again in moderation.

My 2cc,
Phill

[quote]ChrisPowers wrote:
By the way, can milk fat really be classified as “healthy fats”? Isn’t it mostly saturated fat?[/quote]

What’s wrong with saturated fat?

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=644939

[quote]Need4Speed wrote:
ChrisPowers wrote:
By the way, can milk fat really be classified as “healthy fats”? Isn’t it mostly saturated fat?

What’s wrong with saturated fat?

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=644939
[/quote]

Nothing per se, I was just objecting to the use of the term “health fat” to describe the saturated animal fat found in milk. Too much saturated fat is linked to high cholesterol and heart attacks, I thought. It’s still necessary, but I wouldn’t classify it as a “healthy fat”. Of course, almost any food can be called healthy under the right circumstances.

So do people now refer to any fat that isn’t trans-fat as “healthy”? I just didn’t want people reading this thread to get the idea that milk fat is omega 3 or something.

Yeah, didn’t anyone watch the rest of the documentary? Like when he talks about Franco Columbu going to him for advice and says “I do not always give him good advice.”

Arnold played the mental game better than any of his peers…

[quote]Need4Speed wrote:
David Barr wrote:

Of course in Canada it’s all polar bear milk…

Has moose milk fallen out of favor these days?[/quote]

Just make sure to stay away from beaver milk. If something white drips from a beaver, do NOT drink it.