Daily Squat Variation for Teenagers

CT: I have two 13 year old baseball/football players. Do you think it would be a good idea to supplement their summer workouts at school with a daily squat variation at home? Their lifting at school will basically be BP, Box Squats (for whatever reason), sumo deadlift, and power cleans. I would keep the volume fairly low and add in a snatch variation at the beginning of their front squat days.

[quote]OldOgre wrote:
CT: I have two 13 year old baseball/football players. Do you think it would be a good idea to supplement their summer workouts at school with a daily squat variation at home? Their lifting at school will basically be BP, Box Squats (for whatever reason), sumo deadlift, and power cleans. I would keep the volume fairly low and add in a snatch variation at the beginning of their front squat days.[/quote]

I wouldn’t. That’s too early.

I’m all for high frequency training but going too frequently with kids this young can cause a problem in the future. Once the body gets used to it, you have no room to increase frequency.

I would have them stick to their program, maybe do ONE weekly squat session since they aren’t doing any real squatting.

If there is one movement I would do daily it’s the power clean since it’s a higher skill lift.

Thank you Sir.