Daily Pushups?

my upper/inner pec development is lagging to say the least. I was reading in the bible (Enc. of modern bodybuilding) that arnold did side raises everyday for his delts and I was wondering If I incorporated close grip pushups into my routine if that could possibly produce similar results? Any ideas/recommendations?

Sounds like a good experiment. Give it a go and let us know in the future. I mean, it can’t be bad.

1/ do not assume that every written word is true :slight_smile:
2/ try it !

I used to do pull-ups every day always changing set vs. reps. going just by feeling. I increased my numbers from 3 to 20 :o). and yes, some mass appeared on my back as well.

Seriously, try it and let as know.

[quote]TubbyNoMore wrote:
my upper/inner pec development is lagging to say the least. I was reading in the bible (Enc. of modern bodybuilding) that arnold did side raises everyday for his delts and I was wondering If I incorporated close grip pushups into my routine if that could possibly produce similar results? Any ideas/recommendations? [/quote]

I think that you should do it at least for two weeks, I remember that Pavel Tsatsouline had a good program, and I can attest that when I was in the Australian Army I came home with a massive chest because I was doing push-ups all the time (just could keep my mouth shut).

anyway if you want a copy of the program just PM me and I will send it to you (its in PDF format)

Simon

Sure. Just make sure you are progressing. Also, I’d do elevated push ups or push ups between benches for more upper pec stimulation.

I think the take-home message in regards to Arnold’s training in this instance, is that he prioritized his delt development in order to ensure progress. Not necessarily the fact that he did delt work everyday. The solution to your problem may indeed be more volume, but push ups everyday do not guarantee that your inner chest/upper chest will see continued growth.

It may be a better idea to focus on your chest development by doing a chest exercise at the beginning of each upperbody workout, or three times a week.

[quote]bretc wrote:
Sure. Just make sure you are progressing. Also, I’d do elevated push ups or push ups between benches for more upper pec stimulation. [/quote]

When you say ‘elevated’ do you mean to say that you would do push ups with your upper body or lower body elevated?

Close grip pushups target the triceps more than the chest. Use a wide grip.

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
bretc wrote:
Sure. Just make sure you are progressing. Also, I’d do elevated push ups or push ups between benches for more upper pec stimulation.

When you say ‘elevated’ do you mean to say that you would do push ups with your upper body or lower body elevated?[/quote]

Lower body elevated puts more focus on the upper pec.

DB

Go ahead and give it a try.
although you would probably want to do something harder like decline dumbell flyes(you use dumbells as rollers , not lifting them)

it’s a hard movement :slight_smile:

How long have you been lifting? How long have you been bench pressing? What do you bench? What other chest exercises do you incorporate? Pushups everyday might give you a big chest, but so will benching heavy 3 times a week, and its easier to progessivly overload on the bench than it is pushups.

Thanks for all the advice!

slimjim- My main concern with doing pushups everyday is not giving them time to rest and grow. Right now Im prioritizing my little girl (at least to me) shoulders. Ive been doing back, chest, shoulders, arms, and legs each on seperate days so that I can hit them all effectively (which Im going to change soon to raise my met.)

emonkeh- Im not following how to use them as rollers?

tveddy- Ive been lifting off and on since HS (grad. in 99) and consistently since Dec. I havent maxed in a while, my bench has always been poor. Ive recently started doing a higher rep workout with BP, Incline BP, DB press, Incline Flyes, and Hammer Strength Incline/Decline. Before that I did a Power Lifting routine for about 8weeks; which got me stronger, but didnt grow a whole lot.

[quote]TubbyNoMore wrote:
Thanks for all the advice!

slimjim- My main concern with doing pushups everyday is not giving them time to rest and grow. Right now Im prioritizing my little girl (at least to me) shoulders. Ive been doing back, chest, shoulders, arms, and legs each on seperate days so that I can hit them all effectively (which Im going to change soon to raise my met.)

emonkeh- Im not following how to use them as rollers?

tveddy- Ive been lifting off and on since HS (grad. in 99) and consistently since Dec. I havent maxed in a while, my bench has always been poor. Ive recently started doing a higher rep workout with BP, Incline BP, DB press, Incline Flyes, and Hammer Strength Incline/Decline. Before that I did a Power Lifting routine for about 8weeks; which got me stronger, but didnt grow a whole lot.

[/quote]

First off, I hope high rep work to you means sets of 10-15 reps, not 20+ reps.

If you have a poor bench press and a small chest, try focusing on the bench press. Pushups will help, but if you can do 30-40 pushups in a row, you aren’t loading heavy enough. I do pushups last, after my bench, dips, kickbacks, pushdowns, and everything. This way I get fatigued quicker. As far as recovery, if you feel like you can bench press, then do. If you feel burnt out, wait a day.

My high rep work tends to be more along the lines of 8-12, with 15 being very rare. Thanks for the advise, looks like its back to the drawing board.