Daily Grind

How does everyones jobs effect their training and eating? I thought it would be interesting to see the diversity of all the T-men and T-women’s jobs and how they fit in training and eating. I’ll start:

Job: Business owner- automotive electronics business

Train: 5 am - cardio pm

meals: 7

sleep: 7hrs

Well as most of you know I am the manager of the GNC in Grand Island. I would say that 85-90 percent of the hours I work are by myself. The store is in the mall so people are constantly coming in and out.

I usually eat around three times at work…the first meal consisting of a large green salad w. diced chicken, the second usually ground turkey or ostrich w. provolone and veggies, and my pre-workout favorite, eye of round/green beans w. a tbsp. of fish oil or Udo’s. If I’m in a hurry I’ll have Low-carb Grow w. some good fats.

I have quick meal prep down to a science. I have a Foreman grill, cooler and a microwave in the back room, so I don’t have to rely on protein shakes all the time, but sometimes it is hard to cook things w/o interruption. Not to mention the number of people always asking why does it smell like food in here?

You should’ve seen the time I put some salmon on the grill…the mall management was not thrilled to say the least! So I have since abandoned salmon for ground turkey, ostrich and eye of round or lean ground beef.

Job: System Analyst/DBA 60+hrs/wk
Train: 4:30am… Alarm goes off at 4am and it’s a true bitch to drag my ass out of bed. Once I’m up and moving though (properly motivated), it’s all good. Looking forward to summer so I can run the 2.2 mi to the gym and skip the warmup I do now.
Cardio: 3x/wk HIIT style plus weekly 5.5 mi hike with 1500’ elevation increase (8500 to 10k).
Meals: 6-7… I’m notorious at work for two things (well, two that everyone will admit to) - my plants and my food. Since I eat whole foods 3 times during the workday, people are always stopping in and asking what I’m eating. Today was jerked pork filet with seared peppers and a chicken breast stuffed with pancetta, goat cheese and sundried tomatoes then simmered in a nice Australian merlot.

Job: full-time student (16 hrs.), part-time work at vitamin store (15 hrs.), full-time father & husband (?).

Train: 15 hours/week

Eat: 6-8 meals.

You have to make time for what is important if you want to meet your goals.

-Student, 18 credit hours.
-Six to eight meals a day.
-No job. (Whee!)
-Rise 6:30am, sleep 10:30pm.
-Activities: Class, Study, T-Mag, Eat, Sleep. Climb on occasion.

I work as a consultant and with what I do, I can generally be found sitting behind a desk. Between about March and October, I find it particularily easy to prepare my meals in the evenings and eat them at my desk throughout the day, but for the rest of the year, it can become quite challenging. Winter corresponds with my busy period. I still eat the same number of meals, but I often find my meal timing to get particularily mixed up.

Additionally, I work longer hours in the winter and so my training can be affected and so I sometimes find myself training at odd times and having to really change up my routine to get things to fit.

I tend to sleep approximately 7 hours per night and consistently eat 6 meals per day- 2 shakes, 4 of whole food. I train in the evenings, typically between approximately 7 and 8, 5 days per week (currently Tues, Wed, Thurs, Sat and Sun). On weekends, though I try for a short morning session as well.

I also work at the gym I train at about 10hrs a week placing orders making sure things run smooth

I cook most of my food in the morning when I get home from training in between helping w/ my little girl.

I lucked out in that I work at a corporate fitness center, so I get to workout while I am at work…YEAH BABY! It definetely saves a ton of time to be able to train at work. In terms of meal preparation…I tend to cook and prepare everything the day before. Depending on when I plan on training that day, I prepare P+F meals for pre-workout and P+C meals post-workout. I eat from 6-8 times per day

Since I had to take a semester off from school for medical reasons, this has been my grueling schedule for the past three months.

Train at 2:00 p.m., 4 days per week. Rise between 10:30-11:30 a.m. Go to bed at 11:00-11:30 p.m. Eat 6 meals a day, two are usually in liquid form. No job. I’m being the laziest person known to man until my April 30 surgery date.

When I go back to school in September, the daily grind will look something like this:

Rise at 7:30 a.m and get to bed at 10:30 p.m. Take my 14 credit hours. Eat 5 meals. Train sometime in the afternoon.

Job- Broadband support engineer - translation - sat at a desk in front of a computer for eight hours a day. Means I can keep up to date with T-Mag though…

Training- Morning HIIT runs four times a week, getting up at 5.30am so that I can do it before helping my wife with my 6 month old son.

Weight-Training - Mon, Wed, Fri - between 4pm and 6pm. I used to train four times a week before my son arrived, now I look forward to seeing and playing with him. Plus the wife doesn’t mind me training three times a week - but four times is an issue…

Meals- About 6 or 7 a day, my wife does most of them except for breakfast.

Sleep- Always try and get to bed at about 10pm, get up at 5.30 when HIITing and 6am at other times.