T Nation

Daily Fat Consumption

I recently started using The Daily Plate/Livestrong to track my macros, and am slightly concerned regarding my normal daily fat intake (126g). The biggest components of this fat intake are fish oil (24g), full fat cheese (24g), eggs, and nuts. I know these are "good fats" except for maybe the cheese. I always maintain protein intake above 1g/lb, and carbs go up or down depending on workout days, but the fat intake stays about the same.

My question is, should this be a concern? I know from experimenting that I do lose scale weight when I cut carbs, but don't really notice fat loss around the waist. I read all the time how many people opt for "reduced fat" items, but it's difficult for me to get enough calories if I don't always choose full fat.

Are you dieting down or trying to gain size?

Either way, no, it's not a concern. I only ask because going low on carbs is not the best prescription for muscle gain, in my opinion.

If it were me, personally, I'd add some more plant-based oils just to get my mono to poly to saturated ratios more in check (I'm thinking olive oil and avocadoes). But that's just nitpicking. Shouldn't affect your fat loss much, in my opinion.

I regularly take in 150-170g/fat per day in order to help meet my caloric needs. Again, mostly from the sources you've listed above along with PB.

at some point you have to either increase your carbs or protein double in order to meet your needs, I'd rather keep them near the level they are now

if this was 1980 we would be worried. isn't it amazing that reduced fat (eg increased carb) foods still persist. as you said, fats are good for you and essential to health. maybe check out the book "150 healthiest foods on earth"

how does reduced fat = increased carb?

while for some products this may be true, the majority of reduced fat products are lower in total calories than their full-fat counterparts.

Since fat is 9 kcal per gram and carbs are 4 kcal per gram, the total calories will be lower if they remove the fat and replace them with carbs. Usually they have to add sugars to make it "taste" better without the fat. Hence, reduced fat usually equals more carbs. Just take a look at yogurt for example.

typically, since they're removing the tasty fat, they add in more carbs to help with taste.