T Nation

Daily Cholesterol Intake

I can't find any revised recommendations on cholesterol consumption. Is there an amount that we still feel is too much? Or an idea how much we can benefit from. Ballpark of course.
I ate almost a gram today and a website's telling me I should have had 243 mg haha. Not looking for tailored advice just asking what those who know more than I do are doing.

I usually get over a gram. I eat a lot of whole eggs. It's really nothing to worry about.

The Framingham study (started in 1948) has shown that dietary intake of cholesterol does not effect blood cholesterol levels.

you're fine.

not only that, even if it did cholesterol is nothing to fear. It won't cause heart issues by itself.

be more concerned with smoking, ab fat, high sugar diet/processed carbs, trans fats, stress, high vegetable oil diet.

They're not counting cholesterol intake

Generally, being "dialed in" means counting total kcals and macros and being in the ballpark fiber-wise

Dude...I eat enough eggs that my cholesterol intake is consistently over what's medically accepted. Fuck that though...

When I was ovo-lacto vegetarian..I ate a dozen eggs a day sometimes to get my protein..my cholesterol is in normal range and my cardio is great...

I hate to be one of those people that further bashes the medically community..but, commonly accepted nutrition in the US is pretty retarded in most instances..

Actually, dietary cholesterol is the most misunderstood concept of cholesterol.
Atherosclerosis begins when lipoproteins (the transporters of cholesterol) are trapped in the arterial wall. This causes macrophages to come clean up the mess. So the macrophages then sit and wait for HDL to come and remove cholesterol from itself. When too many lipoproteins get entrapped, the macrophages get overloaded with cholesterol - oxidation occurs - foam cell formation occurs - necrosis etc.

This is why LDL cholesterol was thought to be a major player in atherosclerosis. The LDL particle is small and can penetrate the artery walls the easiest. So flux through the artery wall of cholesterol is largely dependent on LDL cholesterol concentration. However, once the particles pass through, they are then considered inert. So only the particles which are entrapped are atherogenic. This makes the issue so much more complex because we have to consider extracellular matrices, proteoglycans, surface topology of lipoproteins etc.

Ultimately, chylomicron remanants (the final product of lipoproteins produced by the intestines) have been shown to pass through the artery wall. It was a surprise, because they are much larger than LDL and so thought to be inert. Additionally, chylomicron remnants have the highest retention rate of all lipoproteins in the subendothelial space. This makes them extremely atherogenic.

So it is not the effect dietary cholesterol has on fasting cholesterol (LDL ect.) But the direct actions it can have on arteries. Just to be clear, this is still a risk thing - it doesn't mean A->B

^^^ I counted at least 7 words that I can't pronounce, let alone know the definition of.

Yes it is.

I took the OP to asking about recommendations... not asking is he eating too much of it.

I'd actually be interested. I probably average 8 eggs a day, but that's probably the only thing I eat with much in it... is that enough? I want my body making all those hormones you need dietary cholesterol for...

The question is not how much is too much, but how much is enough?

well, your body produces cholesterol on it own's, so it's not essential through the diet (AFAIK).

eat more, body produces less, eat less, body produces more.

So, there's no set optimal amount to eat. The key point in all of this is don't fear eating foods that contain cholesterol.

Yeah sorry it was a little vague. Appreciate the perspectives nevertheless.
Is there/How much is/ too much of a good thing?
How much do you think it generally takes to feel good?(test-ey)

The body can produce it's own. But we also no that there are negative consequences to not consuming enough, especially if the goal is to produce "excessive" amounts of testosterone for example.

Carbs are non essential as well, and we can meet our needs through ketosis or glycogenesis, but that's not ideal if you're very active, or actively trying to add size/strength/volume. We're not talking about survival, we're talking about optimal. How much cholesterol can I consume before it stops doing me any extra good?

I'm not sure anyone has the answer to that. I doubt someone could get research funded when their investigating when the benefits of cholesterol ingestion meet diminishing returns.

eating cholesterol does not raise blood cholesterol levels, thus I can't see the benefit per se of eating extra cholesterol for muscle gains, etc.

the body is going to produce less or more depending upon what is eaten

I'm sure the normal American diet will provide enough cholesterol if there were any benefit to eating it, it's more about eating the foods they are found in, in general for the benefit. If that makes sense