T Nation

Dad's Joint Pain

My dad used to be a mechanical engineer, or something like that. I don't even know exactly what he did to this day, but I'm not here to describe my duties as a son.

Rather, I know he used to move stuff around a lot and he injured his rotator cuff. He got surgery on it, and to this day his ROM is still limited. He's far from a bodybuilder, and doesn't exercise, but I'm trying to help out his joint pain.

What I'm here to ask is should I get Glucosamine Chondroitin for him? I hear it's worked wonders and I really want to be able to help him out.

I think I'm going to get him ZMA as overall he's feeling a little sappy.

Thank you.

Are there any supplements that any of you can recommend to help my dad's joint pain etc?

Thanks,

My dad is currently 55.

Glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, and MSM all work for me. I don't know what "sappy" feels like, so I don't know what you're trying to acheive with the ZMA.

Speaking from a rather biased perspective, a good physical therapist will be able to fix that problem pretty easily. If you can get your primary care physician to give you a referral to PT, and if your insurance covers it, I would HIGHLY recommend physical therapy to alleviate your father's pathology.

My dad actually has gone to PT and it hasn't really worked that well for him.

Health Insurance isn't covering it anymore either. Thanks.

Do any specific brands that sell Glucos/etc. matter? Or should they all be the same?

Thanks again!

Here is what I use:

1. Glucosamine (no chondroiten)
  2. MSM
  3. Fish Oil
    4 Wobenzymn

My dad has same problem yet he has arthritis and diabetes. He takes Glucosamine, and fish oil caps all from walmart. They help, PT didn't help him either.

May I ask does Fish Oil help that much?

Thanks