T Nation

Dad is a Hoarder

my dad is a hoarder. Its pretty bad, not as bad as the shows on tv he doesn't hoard "garbage" but just random crap that he thinks may be useful. The garage is a huge 2 car garage, except for as long as I have been alive a car has never been parked in it. Its so bad now that you can't even walk through it. My solution is to rent a dumpster, get him away from the house, and just gut the place. I can deal with him being mad at me for a while, but I don't think it will change the hoarding mentality he has. Does anyone have any experience with this?

If it's not a danger, let him be. It's his garage, isn't it?

My dad's hoard mentality is so bad he threatened to disown me if I played ally. The problem is I really wanted to roll a pali, and at the time, only humans and... dwarves if I remember correctly, could.

Honestly, I think he was just afraid I would corpse-camp him to get back for any slight I might be harboring from my teenage years, but then they came out with a new expansion with blood-elf pali's and all was set aright.

My dad was exactly the same, even down to the garage. We've never parked a car in the garage because there's never been room. Sounds pretty similar tbh, no rubbish but just a shit load of stuff that was always going to "come in handy" but never did. Old bikes, tools, books, bits of metal, wood, bags, clothes etc

My dad's similar, he buys things just because they're on sale, we have 6 clocks in my living room all hanging up. but my friend has a neighbor 10x worse.

His garage is packed to the ceiling with utter SHIT, he has a goddamn industrial sized kettle corn machine in the middle of his driveway (rain, sleet, snow, shine). The people in the neighborhood were getting so pissed off because his house is an eye sore.

On top of that, he's crazy. He wears a bike helmet sometimes when he's driving around town, and once when my friend was raking a neighbor's leaves for some $, the guy tried to sell the neighbor a small play structure for $5000....

LMFAO

WINNER.

On a serious note to the OP, hoarding is a pretty serious psychological issue. It usually starts from a person feeling out of control about something in their lives, so they gather crap and don't ever stop gathering because they can control it. There are many potential causes though. Give this a read: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hoarding/DS00966

my wifes a clothes hoarder, guys are used to this shit right. one day i got sick of no closet space,so i counted shirts hanging on hangers, not counting nurses uniforms or dresses and pants on hangers, counted 173 shirts. some i ain't ever seen on her. damn was she pissed when we had a throw away party.

dated a hoarder, up until the day i went in her house and found out her and her parents were hoarders. bags and bags and piles and piles of stuff in a tiny little house. i tried to put down my cup of water on something other than the floor and the only option was this massive chinchilla cage, with a chinchilla in it, that didnt have stuff stacked all over the top of it, just over most of it.

she couldnt open or close her bedroom door because there was so much stuff in the way. disgusting. and they had a an old car in the front yard that was full of trash and whatnot too.

My mom is the same way. She's got massive amounts of straight up junk cluttering her entire house, garage, basement, backyard, etc.... I hate spending the night there because there's just so much crap all over the house. Plus she's got a German Shepherd that sheds ALL OVER THE FUCKING PLACE.

She gets most of the junk from garage sales. She'll see some old piece of furniture, or an old lamp or some shit and she'll want to project on it and make it new and so she'll buy, it set it in the corner, and forget about it.

Seems to keep her happy though. She loves shopping for useless junk.

As long as hes not living in filth..house is relatively clean then its ok. everyone does it. when it gets out of control..he keeps trash or something then get help. he will be extremely upset if he comes home to all his stuff thrown out.

I know someone who is a hoarder and he got it from his Mom who was also a hoarder. His thing is batterys and golf balls. WTF is a ten year old 9 volt battery that's dead going to do for you, or thirty of them for that matter. Not as bad as those folks on the show though.

I watch intervention from time to time and the sucess rate seems to be alot better than the hoarders. I would have figured it would be the opposite.

that was awesome.

Couldn't be as bad as these guys:

Homer Lusk Collyer (November 6, 1881 â?? March 21, 1947) and Langley Collyer (October 3, 1885 â?? March 1947) were two American brothers who became famous because of their snobbish nature, filth in their homes, and compulsive hoarding. For decades, neighborhood rumors swirled around the rarely seen, unemployed men and their home at 2078 Fifth Avenue (at the corner of 128th Street), in Manhattan, where they obsessively collected newspapers, books, furniture, musical instruments, and many other items, with booby traps set up in corridors and doorways to protect against intruders. Both were eventually found dead in the Harlem brownstone where they had lived as hermits, surrounded by over 130 tons of waste that they had amassed over several decades.[1]

Yes exactly my experience..my brother and I did what the OP is thinking of w/ my mom and she broke down. I cannot over state how bad it was
I've only seen my mom lose her composure 3 times , twice @ each of my Grandparents funerals ( her parents) and the day she came home from her trip to find we were cleaning her house. It was bad dude, she was so high from her trip and then was absolutely crushed and fell to the floor, vomited, and just laid there wailing the worst sounds I've ever heard and wouldn't respond to us...It fucking sucked and took years to get over. This happened 14 years ago and it took years before we made any progress again.

Every person is different of course but the one thing about these situations is that they're all incredibly complicated and will take a lot of time and negotiating.