T Nation

DAA Ball Tingle

Does anyone else get a little ball tingle when they take DAA? I also get the improved erections when cycling it, but the tingle is noticeable almost immediately.

@Moribund D-Asparic Acid right?

Hmm I definitely don’t get that “ball tingle” you mentioned. How much are you taking each day?

Maybe it’s not a tingle, but ‘fullness’. Hard to characterize, but definitely happens. Could be placebo.

More likely it’s gonorrhea.

From an article that I can’t link here:

Evidence is mounting that D-Aspartic Acid supplementation does not raise bodybuilders’ testosterone levels. Researchers at the University of Western Sydney have confirmed that the eccentric amino acid doesn’t live up to expectations. In the human study they published in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition high doses of D-Aspartic Acid actually lowered the testosterone level.

D-Aspartic Acid Study

The Australians did an experiment with 24 young men aged between 18 and 36. The men had all been doing weight training for at least 2 years and could lift more than their own bodyweight on the bench presses.

The researchers divided their subjects into three groups of eight men. One group took a placebo for two weeks, the second group took 3 g D-Aspartic Acid daily and the third group took 6 g D-Aspartic Acid every day. [The structural formula of D-Aspartic Acid is shown above.] The subjects took the supplements with breakfast.

Results
The 3-g dose of D-Aspartic Acid had no effect on the subjects’ testosterone level the researchers discovered. The 6-g dose did have an effect, but not what you’d expect: the supplement lowered the subjects’ testosterone level.

It turns out all the studies are all over the place–forse che sì forse che no.

I just know it works for me. DAA is non-essential, so in a healthy young man it is no doubt available in abundance, hence the conclusion of the Sydney study that it does nothing to enhance T. However, in the studies that looked beyond what I call the ‘Curse of Psychology Research’; i.e., the fact that almost all of psychology is based on studies done with 20-something university students, the results are different and show that DAA enhances T. Sports medicine suffers from the same curse.

As you age T production decreases, witness all the Boomers convincing their physicians to put them on TRT, so DAA production could be compromised and supplementation now becomes effective.

There are two ways to look at it: 1) you are following the natural way and won’t take steroids, yet you long for a natural boost and this won’t do it if you are young and healthy (unless you have some genetic flaw in the DAA pathway) or 2) you are aging and DAA supplementation fills the gap.

This still doesn’t answer the original question :wink: