D-Day Anniversary

For those who may have forgotten, today is the 63rd Anniversary of the Normandy D-Day landings that signaled the beginning of the end for Nazi Germany.

Thanks goes to all the brave soldiers that lost their lives to free a continent.

This is a great day!

God bless America.

[quote]Ren wrote:
For those who may have forgotten, today is the 63rd Anniversary of the Normandy D-Day landings that signaled the beginning of the end for Nazi Germany.

Thanks goes to all the brave soldiers that lost their lives to free a continent.[/quote]

My old man was on Omaha and, while he’d appreciate your sentiments, he’d laugh at your history. Germany was doomed when a lot of pissed off Russians surrounded Staligrad and trapped the German 6th Army. Also, 20 million Russians died in the war, a lot of 'em killing Germans. If Hitler had left Russia alone, the Nazis would probably still be in charge of Europe.

That being said: a lot of good men died or were horribly maimed in the drive across western Europe. I hope every one of them is in heaven right now.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Ren wrote:

Thanks goes to all the brave soldiers that lost their lives to free a continent.

My old man was on Omaha and, while he’d appreciate your sentiments, he’d laugh at your history. Germany was doomed when a lot of pissed off Russians surrounded Staligrad and trapped the German 6th Army. Also, 20 million Russians died in the war, a lot of 'em killing Germans. If Hitler had left Russia alone, the Nazis would probably still be in charge of Europe.

That being said: a lot of good men died or were horribly maimed in the drive across western Europe. I hope every one of them is in heaven right now.

[/quote]

The western allies kept half a continent free from Soviet domination.

Ren’s sense of history is spot on.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Ren wrote:

Ren’s sense of history is spot on.[/quote]

The Russians were winning long before June 6th, 1944. Hell, they were almost to the old Polish border by then. The Nazis thought the Russians had 180 divisions; they had 300. The Germans knew nothing about the T-34 tank, the unsung ‘hero’ of the war. D-Day did NOT signify the ‘beginning of the end’ for Hitler. The outcome was decided in 1943 in the battle of Kursk.

Stalin wanted a western front. I seriously doubt he’d have kept France or the Low Countries in any case.

I think if German commanders had been able to act instead of waiting for Hitler to wake up that morning the landings would have gone a lot differently. That being said, I agree with your sentiments.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Ren wrote:

Ren’s sense of history is spot on.

The Russians were winning long before June 6th, 1944. Hell, they were almost to the old Polish border by then. The Nazis thought the Russians had 180 divisions; they had 300. The Germans knew nothing about the T-34 tank, the unsung ‘hero’ of the war. D-Day did NOT signify the ‘beginning of the end’ for Hitler. The outcome was decided in 1943 in the battle of Kursk.

Stalin wanted a western front. I seriously doubt he’d have kept France or the Low Countries in any case.

[/quote]

It was over after Hitler did not allow General Guderian to crush the British expedition force and establish a bridge head in Great Britain.

Imagine if Hitler had concentrated on conquering the Middle East and had not attacked the Soviets. He may have been a masterful politician but as a military strategist, he had the abilities of a corporal. ;D

This is what I get for listening to too much Smashing Pumpkins recently.

I did almost rephrase, but I wanted to emphasize the importance of that day for Allied forces. Whether or not the Russians had him on the run is largely irrelevant to the effect of establishing a foothold on fortress Europe had on Allied Forces.

It also ensured that Europe would not fall under Russian control and effectively freed Western Europe once and for all.

Happy now?