T Nation

D-Aspartic Acid?

Hey guys do you think that DAA would be a helpful supplement for me? Due to my schedule I train in the morning, about 90 minutes after breakfast. I sleep well most nights but I don’t train well at all in the morning. Usually I feel very sleepy/lethargic. Also my thinking is very cloudy, so sometimes I can’t even warm up/down on a treadmill, because running makes the cloudiness worse.

I’ve tried drinking lots of coffee beforehand, and it doesn’t work. I also don’t think it’s my diet, since I’m not eating a restrictive diet (e.g. plenty of carbs). Would DAA help me to train better in the mornings? I’ve heard that people who used it got better pumps and more productive training in general. Would it be a good supplement for me to try?

how old are you? if youre under 19, then no

if youre between 19-25 with low testosterone proven by blood tests, give it a shot.

if youre over 30, sure it can help.

DAA is a mild testosterone booster in some people (myself being among them). I’ve noticed increased strength and size from it, but it’s not a stimulant in any way and not really the kind of thing you’re going to “feel” during your workouts.

Why not take a look at Power Drive?

I quite like DAA. I’ve experimented with other natty test boosters and they haven’t done a thing for me physically or psychologically. I cannot say for sure whether DAA has helped my training, but it has noticeable psychological effects on me on a consistent (i.e. a few days after I start cycling DAA they begin and a few days after stopping it they end every time) basis. I would say I’m fairly normal for my age as far as libido, confidence, and general feeling of well-being go. But when I’m on DAA, I notice small, but easily noticeable, improvements in each of these areas.

DAA is reasonably safe, though definitely research side effects before making a decision, and pretty cheap too. Far cheaper than all of the test boosters with wildly exaggerated claims.

You may not necessarily want to discount lifestyle/training factors, either. How many hours do you sleep per night? Do you only feel lethargic or cloudy in the morning or all day long? Do you only feel that way on training days? Are you deficient in any micronutrient or not adequately hydrated? What do you normally eat for breakfast and use for periworkout nutrition? What is your training intensity/volume/frequency and when is the last time you’ve taken a deload? Any other use of stimulants or depressants we should know about?

These are factors you may want to consider (and there are undoubtedly a bunch more I didn’t think of at the moment), as lack of energy/mental acuity is one of those annoyingly vague symptoms that could result from a number of factors (or a combination thereof).

Also, sorry to hijack slightly, but I had a question or two about DAA myself. In the body, the L isomer is converted to the D form by aspartate racemase. I noticed that this is normally represented as an equilibrium reaction, which indicates that the enzyme could also catalyze the reverse reaction. Would loading the body with DAA result in a lot of it being converted to the levo- isomer or is there some kind of normal physiologic regulatory or other mechanism to prevent this? Also, if anybody has any idea if there’s any science to support a specific dosing protocol (when, singe/split doses, etc.), I would appreciate it very much.