Cytogainer is Great... Look!

Everyone seems to say that weightgainers are poor protein, the carbs are mostly from lots of excess sugar, theres too much unhealthy fat…

Well if you wouldn’t mind looking at cytogainer and telling me what’s wrong with it, please do. Because I gained 10lbs. of lean muscle on it in 3 and a half months. But now I’ve read bad things about weightgainers so I’m thinking of stopping. But look at the nutritional facts:

Carbs: 80g Sugars: 5g… so those are good complex carbs.

total fat: 5g sat fat: 3g… so low fat

Calories: 620 without milk.

And it’s not expensive, they go onsale all the time at supplement stores for like half off. And it tastes great. I actually crave it.

But please someone prove me wrong before I buy more of it. I know most weightgainers are not great, but I don’t see the downside of this one.

[quote]kobebryant wrote:
Everyone seems to say that weightgainers are poor protein, the carbs are mostly from lots of excess sugar, theres too much unhealthy fat…

Well if you wouldn’t mind looking at cytogainer and telling me what’s wrong with it, please do. Because I gained 10lbs. of lean muscle on it in 3 and a half months. But now I’ve read bad things about weightgainers so I’m thinking of stopping. But look at the nutritional facts:

Carbs: 80g Sugars: 5g… so those are good complex carbs.

total fat: 5g sat fat: 3g… so low fat

Calories: 620 without milk.

And it’s not expensive, they go onsale all the time at supplement stores for like half off. And it tastes great. I actually crave it.

But please someone prove me wrong before I buy more of it. I know most weightgainers are not great, but I don’t see the downside of this one.[/quote]

UM no those arent good complex carbs just because they arent sugar it from memory is maltodextrin a starch but gives a faster and larger insulin reaction than table sugar. Just because its not “sugar” doesnt mean its not a fast non complex carb. Please take the time to become an educated consumer.

Now Malto isnt bad all the time its great post w/o when you want a big insulin rush but not living off the crap to gain weight your asking for health probs

Other than that what is the protein source, whats the fat source.

From the looks of it its a Ton of cheap carbs and most likely not very good protein source great reason its so cheap.

Malto when it is quality will act more like a complex carb than a simple sugar, so I have to disagree with the above statement.

Add in the fact the protein in the mix which will slow down digestion, and this causes blood sugar levels not to spike so rapidly.

Cytogainer to me is a good product based on the nutritional content and ingredients. I wish it didn’t have creatine in it, since I already supplement.

Doesn’t look too bad, people knock it? I’ve always heard Malto as a good carb, and decent for weight gain too, thats what I use. It seems like a decent product to me atleast. Hope you aren’t paying much more than $26.50. It would be nice to see some of the protein source have casein in it is my only concern, so I’d still supplement a good casein protein in there too. Maybe even just get a non-flavoured 100% casein product and mix it in too sometimes.

Does have a good BCAA profile but its per 100g of protein! I’d have to figure out the total grams in the container, and its morning here and my brain is still on stand by. But I’m sure after the math it may not be much.

Not bad, all I can say is if it works for you TAKE IT!!! Shit I may even look into it!! Reminds me of Twinlab’s old Creatine Fuel Plus, I gained 10lbs in 3 weeks off that stuff the first time I tried it. But was young and didn’t have the money to invest in it! Mentzer used to go nuts about that stuff.

Maltodextrin, an easily digestible complex carbohydrate from corn starch. Maltodextrin contains “glucose polymers”, linked sugar compounds that are easy for the body to assimilate and use. Glucose polymers are metabolized as a slow, steady rate that can help to sustain energy levels during endurance-oriented workouts and/or athletic events and support weight gain.

CytoGainer
Ingredients: CytoCarb II (CytoSport’s Unique Combination of Branching as well as Long Linear Chain Maltodextrins with Very Low DE [Dextrose Equivalence] Providing a Complex Carbohydrate Source Approximately 96.5% Sugar-Free), CytoPro II (Special Ultrafiltered, Non-Denatured, Ultra High Quality Whey Protein Concentrate and Pre-Digested, Ion-Exchanged Whey Protein Hydrolysate), Dutch Processed, Defatted Cocoa Powder, CytoVite I, Vitamin and Mineral Premix Consisting of (Vitamin A Acetate, Cholecalciferol, D-Alpha-Tocopherol Acetate, Ascorbic Acid, Folate, Thiamine Monohydrate, Riboflavin, Niacinamide, Pyridoxine HCL, Cyanocobalamin, Biotin, Pantothenic Acid, Di-Calcium Phosphate, Potassium Iodide, Electrolytic Iron, Magnesium Oxide, Copper Gluconate, and Zinc Oxide), Creatine Monohydrate, Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Potassium Citrate, Carrageenan, Chromium Nicotinate, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose. Essential Amino Acids (Grams of Amino Acid per 100 grams of Pure Protein): L-Leucine (BCAA) (11.5g), L-Isoleucine (BCAA) (6.5g), L-Valine (BCAA) (6.2g), L-Lysine (9.6g), L-Threonine (6.8g), L-Methionine (2.2g), L-Phenylalanine (3.5g), L-Tryptophan (1.8 g) (Tryptophan is a Naturally Occurring Component of Whey Protein. There is no Added Free-Form Tryptophan.)

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Malto when it is quality will act more like a complex carb than a simple sugar, so I have to disagree with the above statement.[/quote]

Maltodextrin still rates at 100 on the GI scale, and I don’t think you want to continually spike insulin throughout the day.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Add in the fact the protein in the mix which will slow down digestion, and this causes blood sugar levels not to spike so rapidly.[/quote]

This is a broad generalization. Protein does not always lower the GI or II of a meal. Whey protein in general tends to spike insulin anyway, so I doubt that it does much to negate the effects maltodextrin.

I might use this product post-workout in a pinch if I didn’t have something like Surge, but I wouldn’t use it too often other times.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Once again, if it gives you enough calories (in addition to your regular “whole food intake”) to gain weight, then its gonna help you “gain weight.”

It might not just be OPTIMAL. But there’s nothing magic about it! Eat more real food, take a shake, make your own shake, whatever. Just quit posting on here about how a high-calorie shake helped you gain weight. Its called more food. Eating more of it (shakes included) can help you do that.

I don’t know which product is good versus another, but on the gains concept, that has so much to do with whether you decided to start training seriously and eating enough nutrients to support gains…

It’s just a product similiar to others on the market, no need to assume you can’t live without it.

why not jsut drink milk all day a gallon a day is what 3 bucks and 1500 calories?

the big problem with all weight gainers is you wind up paying for malto or other sugars. They are really cheap on their own and if you do the math it is probably much more economical to make your own weightgainer with protein powder and malto or whatnot.

Cytogainer seems to be pretty decent as far as they go though.

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
Malto when it is quality will act more like a complex carb than a simple sugar, so I have to disagree with the above statement.

Maltodextrin still rates at 100 on the GI scale, and I don’t think you want to continually spike insulin throughout the day.

jehovasfitness wrote:
Add in the fact the protein in the mix which will slow down digestion, and this causes blood sugar levels not to spike so rapidly.

This is a broad generalization. Protein does not always lower the GI or II of a meal. Whey protein in general tends to spike insulin anyway, so I doubt that it does much to negate the effects maltodextrin.

I might use this product post-workout in a pinch if I didn’t have something like Surge, but I wouldn’t use it too often other times.

[/quote]

EXACTLY Not sure where you came to the conclusion that the protein will lower the Insulin effect and slow digestion when it has been shown that whey and even more so hydro whey in and of itself csan create a nice big insulin effect we want post w/o. add in Malto and other fast acting carbs and the effect is even higher.

here we go again