Cyto Gainer?

Anyone know this product? I’m taking around 2 scoops a day to supplement my caloric intake, with an eye towards gaining mass. I’m sitting now at around 2500 - 2800 calories a day, where I used to eat around 2000-2300 a day. I weigh 167 pounds.

I heard that this is a decent weight gainer compared to other products since it has a lower sugar content.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Tdot

IMO it and all gainers suck but if it works for you use it. Id stick with real food and a simple protein powder. to up the calories add nuts, other fats, oats, breads, PB&J sandwhiches etc. Mix the protein powder with whole milk etc etc.

[quote]Phill wrote:
IMO it and all gainers suck but if it works for you use it. Id stick with real food and a simple protein powder. to up the calories add nuts, other fats, oats, breads, PB&J sandwhiches etc. Mix the protein powder with whole milk etc etc.

[/quote]

Yeah, I’m also going with the “it sucks balls” opinion. Just in case you didn’t know, maltodextrin IS a sugar. It has, what, 80 some grams of that stuff? I mean, I haven’t seen the label in a long time, but the last time I checked it had a crap load in it.

Not to mention you only get about 10 servings a bottle. Of course, If I recall correctly it’s not required to mention maltodextrin in the sugar count on the label. Stick to real food. Nuts add a ton of calories, PBJs are good if you need a sugar bomb.

Mix honey with a lot of othe stuff (cereal, oatmeal, bread and butter, etc). Alternate liquid meals (quality protein, milk, honey, other good stuff, etc) and solid meals if you’re having trouble cramming food down. It makes it easier when the liquid drains out of your stomach in 30-40 minutes instead of still sitting there at the next meal time, 2 hours after.

I don’t know about the product either, but man if you’re serious about putting on weight you need to get a lot higher in calories, probably 4000-5000 a day, if not more. Many moons ago when I was about 175 or so I was eating over 7000. My between meal snacks were healthy choice meals. I wish I knew then what I know now. One very easy way to get extra calories is to up your healthy fats. Fish oil, olive oil, canola, nuts, etc.

The big issue with gainers is that you could take that same company’s flavored protein product, add dextrose/ sucrose/ maltodextrin/ whatevercarbohydrateyouwant for a significantly lower price than when you buy that tub with the carbohydrates already added.

Personally, I would find a cheap whey and add the carbohydrates myself and add a little olive oil to the party when it isnt PWO.

I would also keep the carbs kinda low outside of PWO (i.e., not freakin’ 200g). Go online and get a cheap whey product, Biotest sells one, dymatize elite whey, cytosport whey ($20 for 5lb at Sam’s club here), ON whey. Pick one and save some cash.

last time i bulked up I added cytogainer simply for convenience (full time job/full time student) it was difficult at times to get big loads of calories and that was just freakin easy.

I only used it on workout days 1 hour after my post Surge. yea I got huge, but ill be honest, I was also supplementing test :slight_smile: I would say as a natural trainer you would be better off getting big calories through healthy sources to keep fat gain minimum. good luck

DezZ

I used cyto gainer when I was bulking. The tub gives you aprx. 18 servings, but if you only use 2 scoops a day, it can last you a little over a month. Since your using 2 scoops, that’s about 143 calories per scoop (540 calories per serving with 4 scoops and using water; 540/4), not bad, I use to do the same thing plus I added milk.

I use to drink the cyto gainer as a postwork drink, but I found out it was too much calories so I cuted down to 2 scoops plus the milk. I would sometimes also drink a shake as a second breakfast or 40 minutes before going to the gym.

I’m reading the label right now of cyto gainer since I have an old container to store loose change and it reads:
*calories in water-570
*2 cups low fat milk-860
*total fat 6 g
*saturated fat 3.5
*trans fat 0g
*cholesterol 140 mg
*sodium 370 mg
*potassium 1130
*total carbs 75 g
*fiber 4 g
*sugars 7 g
*protein 54g

I also agree that getting extra calories from meals is better, but if you are having a hard time, go for it with cyto gainer. What I do now if I want extra calories is by making my own shakes.

jet

Just to clarify Malto isnt a sugar but a very simple starch acts just like or faster than sugar in the absoption and spiking of insulin. Much like white rice, white bread etc. Thats why they can not list it as a sugar but essentially it does the same thing to a higher degree.

It can be good at times like post w/o to spike insulin but using it all day etc IMO isnt a good idea.

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
Just to clarify Malto isnt a sugar but a very simple starch acts just like or faster than sugar in the absoption and spiking of insulin. Much like white rice, white bread etc. Thats why they can not list it as a sugar but essentially it does the same thing to a higher degree.

It can be good at times like post w/o to spike insulin but using it all day etc IMO isnt a good idea.

Phill[/quote]

I guess I jumped the gun. But it is in fact a poly saccharide. In other words, a polymer of glucose. Starch is a polymer, used by plants to store excess glucose as the polysaccharides amylose and amylopectin.

[quote]John Berardi, from solving the PWO puzzle part 2:

In addition, according to the literature, the optimal carbohydrates to consume are glucose and glucose polymers, like maltodextrin (8)[/quote]

Sorry buddy, you’re not winning this one :). It’s part of my job to know this stuff.

[quote]Phill wrote:

Phill[/quote]

Also, my above response indicates one reason it is not generally good to eat starchy foods if you’re interested in body comp, unless it’s breakfast or PWO meal

Man up and eat some meat for god’s sake. It takes all of 17 seconds to fry up some cheap shitty ground beef. Add nuts as between meal snacks.

Take a tupper ware container, add a few cups of whatever nuts you like, a couple teaspoons of olive oil and whatever seasoning you like and you have a tasty snack.

Add a tablespoon of olive oil to all your meals after noon.

In North America there is no excuse for not getting in as many calories as you want.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Phill wrote:

Phill

Also, my above response indicates one reason it is not generally good to eat starchy foods if you’re interested in body comp, unless it’s breakfast or PWO meal[/quote]

oh I agree 100%

It’s a decent postworkout shake. I alternate between that and Surge (depending on if I buy at GNC or online). I know it says take 3 scoops or maybe it was 4. I took two and a scoop of whey postworkout.

DD