Cyclonengineer’s Engineering New Muscle

But seriously, you don’t. It’s terrible. :joy:

Maybe try putting limits on the foods you let yourself graze on. You can graze all day long on non-starchy veggies (no ranch or dip), but that’s it. Always have a bunch cut and ready in the fridge and take a veggie tray to work with you, so you have something there too. Frozen veggies work too - just heat and go “grazy”!! If the veggies don’t sound good - you’re not truly hungry. Another option would be to chew a piece of sugar free gum when you start feeling “snacky”.

1 Like

The treadmill I want to upgrade to from NordicTrack has a 40% incline setting…

1 Like

May the force be with you! lol

I just remembered another great on-the-go veggie option:

I used to use these all the time when I had to travel for work. Just avoid the 3-bean option and you’re set!

1 Like

Winging it workout 27

Faster workout

100 alternating KB swings - 16kg
Hangboard Pull-ups 3x5, 4, 3
Orange band Flyes 2x15, 15
Gray band chest press 2x 8, 9
Hydrocore side to side swings x50
50 band pull aparts
OH dumbbell Tricep extensions 2x12, 12 66lb
Red band lateral raises 2x12 each arm

Need to look into starting a better program next week. Debating if I want to do mass made simple with kettlebell type conditioning on off days (which would mean going to back to weight room at my climbing gym) or following something like enter the kettlebell.

I am leaning toward the first option.

4 Likes

40 minute treadmill hike today.

starting tomorrow (didn’t have time to prep today) Goin to run mass made simple at 2 days a week with other conditioning sprinkled in. This is changing the program so I am not expecting the results discussed but I still think it will be a solid program.

2 Likes

Outstanding to hear! Low carb PBJs on the menu?

Likely. Have to find some bread that doesn’t spike my blood sugars. I have been tracking it a lot the last few days and it seems I am more sensitive to carbs then ever (what used it be okay is sends it well over 250 post meal).

1 Like

Any of the various keto breads answer the mail?

Otherwise, these rock. You can make crepe-like sammys

1 Like

Just got some of these to try actually.

1 Like

Mass Made Simple (MMS) Training Day 1
All weights in lbs
Bench Press
All sets 5 Reps

Bat Wings
2x 40 each arm 10 sec hold.

One arm presses
Walking up DB Rack (5 Reps Each arm)
60x4

Bird dig
4 each side

Complexes each exercise is three reps
Row
Clean
Front squats
Military press
Back Squat
Good morning

3 sets @ bar, 65, 96

Back Squat (on smith machine. Climbing gym doesn’t have a power rack or squat stand)
1x30 @ 95 lbs

Notes:
95 lbs is light until you have to squat it 30 times.

Complexes get tough quick. It’s a lot of muscle used in a short period of time. Will definitely be adding some of these into workouts post MMS.

Good pump and nice and sweaty

7 Likes

Dude, is that a calf vein? Nice.

Guess I didn’t notice that one.

Thanks.

MMS training day 2

All weights in lbs

Warm up
Bench press
45x10
135x10
225x5

Working sets
245 x 2-3-5 (Dan’s Rest pause rep scheme)
245 x 2-3-3 felt like I may miss the last two reps and I had no spotter so played it safe.

Bat wings
45x 10 5 second holds

DB one arm shoulder Press
Warm up with 40s
2 x 2-3-5 with 60 each arm

Bird dogs - a few (didn’t count)

Complexes 3 reps of each is one set
Row
Clean
Front squats
Military press
Back Squat
Good morning

3 sets a 85
1 set at 95
1 set at 105

Felt my back twinge a bit during the last complex set so called an audible to high rep hack squats

Hack squats @ 170 lbs
2 x 30

3 Likes

Back at it workout today

50 red band pull aparts
50 side to side Hydrocore bag swings
Hangboard Pull-ups 3x 5, 4, 4
50 Hydrocore bag front snatch
OH Tricep extensions Green Band 2x15 each arm
Offset deficit push-ups 2x15
Alternating KB swings 16kg 3x30
Hangboard Pull-ups 2x 4, 3

Mass made simple just won’t fit into my home/work schedule right now (since I don’t have a power rack at home). Back to what was working previously

I also really need to get my ring mount up in my garage.

3 Likes

Winging it workout 30 (or so)

50 red band pull aparts
Orange band chest Flyes 3x 15, 15, 15 slow eccentrics (3-5 seconds)
Hangboard pull-ups 3x 5, 3, 3
Hydrocore bag side to side swings x50
Hydrocore Halos 2 x 20
Hydrocore clean and squat x 30
KB 1 arm rows 26Kg 2x12 each arm
Chest Presses - M3 flutter style - 30 reps orange band.

2 Likes

3/14/23

Pi Day for all the nerds out there

35 minutes treadmill hike.

2 Likes

Thank you Cyclone!!!

Summary of what I am trying it figure out:

That’s the part that gets me though. The direction of the (load?), what I’m trying to do is explain what tensile strength is in relation to a pipe scaffold.

Why would an engineer (at a temporary structure subcontractor) consider tensile strength in his/her design of a pipenscaffold?

Also, if a dude is standing on the scaffold, how is his weight affecting the pipes within the scaffold. I plan on using a picture of pipe scaffold then drawing arrows on the pipes on the force/load? (Not an engineer lol)

Also, if there’s a structural failure, what would it look like (google is my friend with that one)

So tensile strength is how strong a material
Is when you apply load in the same direction as it’s central axis (so for a pipe you pull on it).
In the case of a scaffold I care about tensile strength as an engineer because it is paramount to determining the bending load the structure can take. Think about standing on the middle of one of the levels of the scaffold. The pipes bend downward. This specific loading is bending load (pretty straightforward).
When I bend a pipe in that manner one of the loads I cause is a tension load (the downward force of me standing on it pulls on the pipe from its anchor point).

To help alleviate that load and react it out (this is what we call transferring the load) I add in the 45 degree pipes. Triangles are the strongest structural shape because they take the most force along their axis (and a few other more complicated reasons). So when I build a structure like a scaffold my goal is to distribute a load (the person) out onto as many different pieces of the structure as I can. This lowers the stress on each piece significantly and prevents failure.

In general a material will exhibit elastic strain (this means if I remove the load the material goes back to original size and shape) until it hits its yield strength (this is usually what non-engineers know of as tensile strength). At yield, the material will permanently deform under load and won’t return to its original shape. Ultimate strength is where a material breaks, sometimes catastrophically.

I would worry about 2 failure modes in this structure - a buckling failure (happens when an axial load compresses a pipe) and a shear failure at the connection points of the horizontal and angles pipes. Depending on how much load is on the structure at the time, either failure could be localized or take out the whole thing. Depends on the interconnectedness of the rest of the structure and how much extra ability it has to take the stresses originally held by the initially broken piece.

Stress = Force/area (in its most simple form).

Also look up Kahn Academy on stress/strain and google how to make free body diagrams.

Start with a simpler structure or just like 1 level of this scaffold to wrap your head around it.

Hope this helps. I tried to bring it as far back as I could without losing what is actually happening in the structure.

2 Likes

When I site sources for my presentation in the next 2 weeks I’ll just have a google slide with one bullet point saying “cycloneengineer”

Thanks a ton cyclone, I’m just seeing this now so I definitely have to reread that tomorrow. (Was writing a scholarship essay and genuinely enjoying it, where did the time go? Lol)

2 Likes