Cyclists Beware

[quote]m00se wrote:

Again I agree. If the rules said to ride in a cars blind spot…I would fully support NOT obeying that rule. The simple act of stopping (and staying stopped) at a light…I don’t see where the danger is.
[/quote]

the danger, in addition to what i posted above, is that only the first cars see you, you’re much slower off the mark than a line of cars and the second or third guy in line looking to turn right usually would rather race around and turn in front of you just as you get clipped in and up to speed.

[quote]swivel wrote:
waiting at a light is pretty much the same as wearing a sign that says " dump your slushee on me ", “flick your cigarette @ me” or " bark in my ear ".[/quote]

You wouldn’t believe how many people think that is funny- Until they realize that the light is still red, and I’m dragging them out their window.

Then they get all screamy and apologetic.

The funniest one was when a guys wife/g.f. started calling him a dumbshit and wouldn’t call the police.

Last summer I was biking with my dad in the suburbs of Boston. Towards the last mile of our ride on the way back towards the bike shop a women tried to take a left turn as we were coming down the road towards her. We did the univerisal stop signal with our hand up and she stopped.

Then all of sudden last minute for no reason she slammed on the gas and took out my father. He flipped off the bike and ran into a stone wall. They lady proceeded to drive off. I was so worried about my dad I didn’t get license plate info.

Luckly the stone wall that he flew into was the proud owner of a surgeon at Wellsely hospital who saw the whole thing happen and immediately came to aid.

To this day I have no idea why the women stepped on the gas. I just don’t get it at all. It was like she said, “hey I see you guys, ahh fuck it I’m tired of waiting, I’m just going to run you over.”

The thing that pissed me off the most was how useless the police where. They didn’t even bother to ask about make or model of the car. I mean shit there was probably a big fucking dendt in the grill of that thing. I’m sure they could have put something out for a hit and run.

Which is another reason why Mass, sucks balls. Drivers suck, and the police are useless.

[quote]m00se wrote:
Sigh

When on a bicycle ON THE ROAD…obey the rules of the road.

DO wait at traffic lights
DO be careful and you have to ASSUME a vehicle…ALL vehicles don’t see you

DON’T be in a blindspot

DO use common sense

From the article:

“Women cyclists are far more likely to be killed by a lorry because, unlike men, they tend to obey red lights and wait at junctions in the driver?s blind spot, according to a study.”

Wait in the driver’s blind spot? It’s not the waiting at the light that will get you killed, it’s waiting in a blind spot…light or no light.[/quote]

I really hate cyclists who seem to think they are just like another car…taking 1/2 the lane…what do you expect? Special treatment??

This is the only cyclist I would not pass.

[quote]five-twelve wrote:
Last summer I was biking with my dad in the suburbs of Boston. Towards the last mile of our ride on the way back towards the bike shop a women tried to take a left turn as we were coming down the road towards her. We did the univerisal stop signal with our hand up and she stopped.

Then all of sudden last minute for no reason she slammed on the gas and took out my father. He flipped off the bike and ran into a stone wall. They lady proceeded to drive off. I was so worried about my dad I didn’t get license plate info.

Luckly the stone wall that he flew into was the proud owner of a surgeon at Wellsely hospital who saw the whole thing happen and immediately came to aid.

To this day I have no idea why the women stepped on the gas. I just don’t get it at all. It was like she said, “hey I see you guys, ahh fuck it I’m tired of waiting, I’m just going to run you over.”

The thing that pissed me off the most was how useless the police where. They didn’t even bother to ask about make or model of the car. I mean shit there was probably a big fucking dendt in the grill of that thing. I’m sure they could have put something out for a hit and run.

Which is another reason why Mass, sucks balls. Drivers suck, and the police are useless.[/quote]

While I get frustrated with bikes…this is just wrong. I’m sorry this happened to you.

[quote]Horazio wrote:
I cycle almost everyday to school,gym,work…sometimes drivers are assholes.
If I get hit bu a car I really hope I do some serious damage to the car (and not to myself)[/quote]

If its a car, the weight will be around 2700-3000 pounds. Your leg will probably be in between the bike and the speeding car crushing it. You body will smash violently on the hood breaking an arm and/or ribs. By the time the driver hits the brakes would have smacked into the windshield and sent flying in the air.

If it’s a truck, FUCKING 3500-5000 pounds. Let’s say you’d be fucked; not dead, but fucked.
Ex.Forward to 1:50 - YouTube

You:
-shit load of medical bills
-lots time from work
-nability to work out
-months of rehab.
Driver:
-hood
-front bumper
-windshield

You drivers wont have to worry about half this stuff in England soon. The government is changing the laws so that if your a cyclist on a road and your involved in an accident, its your fault, even if it isn’t.

I do agree that cyclist can be idiots, but the ones on the road tend to know what they are doing, its the kids that you’ve got to look out for.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
I really hate cyclists who seem to think they are just like another car…taking 1/2 the lane…what do you expect? Special treatment??
[/quote]

I agree. I think I saw you were from California…I live in San Diego, and there are TONS of bike lanes…and yet I see WAY too many cyclists riding in the road instead of the lane.

I’ve even been out riding with a friend or two who have done that and called them on it.

I have no argument for bad drivers or bad cyclists. If there is a bike lane…fokking USE it!

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
This is the only cyclist I would not pass.
[/quote]

I’d like to think on THAT point we can all agree :slight_smile:

I don’t know what some of you are talking about concerning biking being dangerous. I’ve pedaled 45,000 miles on pavement, in central/southern CT, and never been hit. Sure there are some close calls, but my experience and bike handling always keep me safe.

I’m pretty sure I’ve made some enemies around here though. I feel kind of bad because a few weeks ago I passed this lady who was hitting her brakes on a downhill, at 55mph on her left with another car coming. Eh, I felt safe as can be, maybe I’m too confident. But she got all mad at me when she caught me at the red light after that. (yes I had to stop for the light, otherwise I’d get hit by traffic. I only stop when I have to though) I proceeded to tell her to never slow down in front of a bike on a hill. Eh, the way I look at it, I do my best to not get in anyways way, and I expect the same from all cars. So if you DO get in my way, I will do whatever I damn well please, especially since I am only “endangering” myself.

Anyways, I’d like to make a few comments here.

1. Not all cyclists/bikers are the same. Some are dicks, some are dumb, but some are experienced and realitively curteous.

2. The whole “lance/tour de france wannabe” name calling is juvenille. Are you 15?
    I may not be Lance, or a tour de france rider, but I do LOOK like one because it is my sport.(Just like there is an MLB and a minor league and weekend club teams, there are all levels of cyclists). Don’t get pissy at me because my legs are faster than you in traffic.

3. If you see my spandex ass riding your bumper, PLEASE, take it as a compliment. I’m just drafting you, I mean no offense. And if possible, do a gradual slow accleration and try not to hit your brakes. We’re friends in this situation. :slight_smile:

4. Don’t be suprised when you end up dead after dumping that slushy on me. (okay, I’m not completely serious, but this kind of lack of respect does you no good, and you will likely get your ass beat)

5. If you are forced to slow down after passing me due to traffic, don’t get pissy and honk your horn as I rip past you. Like I said before, I do my best to stay out of your way, and I expect the same. So I will do whatever I damn well please to keep on my merrily way. Remember, there is a double standard here, BECAUSE a car is not equal to a bike. I am allowed to pass you with inches to spare, but you are not to do so. The reasons are obvious.

6. I will yield and stop if neccessary when coming up to a stop sign. I do my best to keep the ENTIRE flow of traffic as smooth as possible, which means gliding through intersections when safe. If however, my path is not going to cross paths with any other road user, I will likely not slow down at all. It’s all about flow and respecting each other’s space. I do my best.

7. Don’t get mad at me if the road isn’t wide enough. Instead of blaring your horn as I am working my ass off climbing that hill, why don’t you complain to the town or state and tell them to make the road wider? I have every right to ride on the shoulder of the road on safe clean pavement, no matter how narrow that road is. If I am riding in the middle of the lane due to pot holes near the shoulder - guess what? Complain to the town.

8. Bike lanes - sometimes they aren’t safe at all. I rarely come across city bike lanes, so I’m not too familar with them. My above motto of doing my best to stay out of your way would apply here.

9. Bike paths - great for the casual bike rider <15mph. Otherwise, a big no no. There are little kids on these bike paths. I’m not going to ride near them at typical speeds of 20-30+mph. That’s what the roads are for, especially considering the speed limits on most side roads are 25-35mph. Where would you rather have me be? Surely not next to toddlers and walkers. I do however use them occasionally when I want to ride slow.

10. What happens to you impatient drivers when you get stuck behind a school bus that slows you down 10x worse than a biker? Your must explode, right? What about farm equipment that is much harder to pass and cruises at simular speeds to bikes? You must be loading your shotgun?

11. If you are unable to pass a group of cyclists who are traveling the speed limit, suck it up! What makes you think that you have the right to speed? Unless you are an emergency vehicle, which that’s a different story. This one really gets me, perhaps you need to go back to drivers ed?
    (on the other hand, it does bother me when the group of riders go slow and continue to ride more than 2 abreast. But 95% of the time, the group I know is within a few mph of the speed limit.)

I get sick pleasure from buzzing cyclists on my motorcycle.

FFfffffrrrroooooooooom!

I know I’m evil. :slight_smile:

Anyway, on topic, ALL car drivers are idiots and lack all common sense and judgement. You learn this when you use the road on a push bike, motorcycle, truck, or any vehicle when does not have cup holders.

[quote]swivel wrote:
waiting at a light is pretty much the same as wearing a sign that says " dump your slushee on me ", “flick your cigarette @ me” [/quote]

Assuming you’re in a place where littering is the norm.

This thread is hilarious… cyclists asking for special treatment from road users (ie please don’t get mad at me), while admitting they run junctions/lights and swerve in out out of traffic.

And here’s a common sense tip, if you see a car likely to do something stupid (like pull across you or cut you off) then slow down and take some evasive action. Don’t just cycle on hoping the driver will see you/stop/wimp out.

Piss and moan all you want, but the person most in charge of your personal safety is YOU. Take some steps to protect it.

Sincerly, from a cyclist AND driver.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
This thread is hilarious… cyclists asking for special treatment from road users (ie please don’t get mad at me), while admitting they run junctions/lights and swerve in out out of traffic.

And here’s a common sense tip, if you see a car likely to do something stupid (like pull across you or cut you off) then slow down and take some evasive action. Don’t just cycle on hoping the driver will see you/stop/wimp out.

Piss and moan all you want, but the person most in charge of your personal safety is YOU. Take some steps to protect it.

Sincerly, from a cyclist AND driver.[/quote]

I’m not asking for special treatment, nor do I ride as to negatively affect other road users.

Like I said, it’s about keeping the flow as smooth as possible, and sometimes that means passing cars on the left because the right side is blocked, or running stop signs. It’s safer to disobey some traffic laws such as stop signs and red lights, less chance of getting rear ended.

Do you seriously expect me to hit my brakes when I can easily squeeze by you? I’m sure it pisses some drivers off, they are just jealous of the freedom and manuervability that I have while they are stuck in their large cage.

I’m not here to whine, or bitch, just make it known what my intentions are when riding.

Bottom line is simple here - I do my best to not impede other road users, so I expect the same, and if you are in my way, I will do whatever it takes to get around you however I feel neccessary, which is not subject to equality of road use/laws, since a car is much larger and heavier than a cyclist. If every car on the road was replaced by a pedesterian, I would ride accordingly, since there would be more equality(concerning size/weight).

I’m not out to make enemies, no need for uneccessary negativity.

[quote]m00se wrote:
Sigh

When on a bicycle ON THE ROAD…obey the rules of the road.

DO wait at traffic lights
DO be careful and you have to ASSUME a vehicle…ALL vehicles don’t see you

DON’T be in a blindspot

DO use common sense

From the article:

“Women cyclists are far more likely to be killed by a lorry because, unlike men, they tend to obey red lights and wait at junctions in the driver?s blind spot, according to a study.”

Wait in the driver’s blind spot? It’s not the waiting at the light that will get you killed, it’s waiting in a blind spot…light or no light.[/quote]

…could you point me to that article? Sadly too many people are still killed like this here, and yes, most are women…

[quote]vbm537 wrote:
Mikeyali wrote:
If you were one of those douchbag bikers that thinks he’s cool because he dresses like he’s actually on the Tour de France, then it was probably me hoping to kill you. Those guys are serious dweebs. While I hate people getting close, I also hate those guys that will sit behind you for a mile because they are afraid to pass with you on the shoulder.

mike

I would like to see you ride 70-100 miles in board shorts and sandals.

People clearly get pissed at cyclists but some cyclists are dicks too. There are some that take up the road when they have a bike lane to use…those guys give us who try and stay out of the way a bad name. As far as the funny clothes…I hate them but they do serve a purpose.[/quote]

I did my first century in Jams (1980�??s) and tennis shoes. I did get bike shorts for my second century

[quote]Hanley wrote:

Sincerly, from a cyclist AND driver.[/quote]

You are totally right, it is 100% defensive riding

I had an old man bump me with a large mirror used for pulling trailers while I was crossing an intersection , I would have wrecked if there would have been a curb . I caught the guy at the next light; I pulled up beside his truck and glared at him he was petrified he would not even look at me. It was fun to catch him though.

[quote]Kilosprinter2 wrote:

Do you seriously expect me to hit my brakes when I can easily squeeze by you? I’m sure it pisses some drivers off, they are just jealous of the freedom and manuervability that I have while they are stuck in their large cage.
[/quote]

“squeeze”… see that just gives a bad impression!!!

My point is, if a cyclist thinks they MIGHT be able to squeeze thru, or get around, or do something else while on the road, they should do this while being fully aware no one else give a shit about them.

Ideally everyone would look out for everyone else on the roads, but that doesn’t happen. Cyclists are particularly vulnerable, so instead of trying to piss drivers off by getting one over on them and jumping in front of or around them, approach the situation as if every idiot on the road is trying to kill you. I would be most peopel would act differently then!!

Someone said that almost everytime they’re out on their bike they’re nearly involved in a collision. I must ask, is how you ride having a part to play…??

[quote]m00se wrote:
Rockscar wrote:

I agree. I think I saw you were from California…I live in San Diego, and there are TONS of bike lanes…and yet I see WAY too many cyclists riding in the road instead of the lane.
[/quote]

I’m from Massacusetts, but I went out to California to do some bicycling wiht my dad over spring break. I was really impressed with the extensive bike lanes in CA. I’ve never had an easier/less sketchy time bicycling on fairly busy roads.