Cyclist Workout Program?

male
21 years old
5’11
88kg

Hi can someone recommend me a good workout program to be stronger on a sprint and to ride longer miles. I am fairly new to cycling but i have lost around 8kg but i am still overweight but i’m really enjoying it. I want to take cycling seriously and i want to be stronger. I know that losing bodyfat comes from the diet but i really don’t know what exercises should i do. I hope someone can help me. Thank you!

Movement Patterns:

• Knee-dominant (squats, lunges, split squats, leg press)
  • Hip-dominant (deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts, good mornings, hip thrusts, glute/hamstring bridges, back-extensions)
  • Horizontal Push (push-ups, parallel bar dips, dumbbell or barbell bench press, machine chest press, cable press)
  • Horizontal Pull (row variations)
  • Vertical Push (Incline dumbbell or barbell press, dumbbell or barbell shoulder press, Arnold press, landmine press)
  • Vertical Pull( pull-ups, chin-ups, pulldowns, high row)
  • Loaded Carries

Programming Rules:

• Lift weights for 30-60 minutes, 2-4 times per week
  • Perform each pattern 1-3 times per week
  • Perform 3-6 exercises per session
  • Perform 1-3 hard sets per exercise. Take 1-5 warm-up sets per exercise (with more warm-ups for heavier or more technical exercises)
  • Perform the majority of your sets in the 6-15 rep range. You may train 1 exercise per session in the 1-5 rep range, and 1-2 exercises per session in the 15+ rep range if you choose, but it is not necessary
  • Perform more reps and/or more weight in every exercise, every week
  • You may do isolation exercises like curls and side raises only if you are covering each movement pattern at least once a week.

SAMPLE PROGRAM, 2x / WEEK

Day 1:

1A. Hack Squat: 3 warm-up sets, 1 x 8-12
1B. Chin-Ups: 3 sets to failure
2A. Incline Dumbbell Bench Press: 2 warm-up sets, 1 x 10-15
2B. Back Extensions: 3 sets to failure
3. Suitcase Carries: 1 warm-up set, 1 x 60s each side

Day 2:

1A: Dumbbell RDL: 3 warm-up sets, 1 x 6-10
1B: Dips: 3 sets to failure
2A: DB Reverse Lunges: 2 warm-up sets, 1 x 8-12
2B: Cable Row: 2 warm-up sets, 1 x 10-15
3A: Curl Variation: 2 x 15-20
3B: Triceps Pushdown Variation: 2 x 15-20

This is just an example. It’s not a perfect program, but it is very very close to the programs I write for my own personal training clients, and it would definitely work.

If you follow the rules I laid out above, you’ll be set

2 Likes

Thank you for your input sir i would surely follow this! How can i incorporate core workout? I heard core workout is important to cyclist. What exercises do you recommend?

Loaded carries like suitcase carries will give you plenty or core stimulation. If you’d like to do more core exercises, just add them to the end of the workout. It doesn’t really matter which ones you do, but ab wheels/rollouts and hanging leg raises are some good choices

1 Like

The programme @j4gga2 wrote would work.

Just some quick questions. What sort of riding are you going to be doing and who seriously are you wanting to take it?
If you want to road race over 50-100 miles a day having a bigger stronger upper body is a detriment. Bigger = more weight. More weight = more energy to move.

1 Like

Thank you so much sir. I would definitely use this.

1 Like