Cycling strength/hypertrophy phases

hey guys my main goals are to add strength/size this year. i was planning to periodize my training between strength/hypertrophy phases. i dont play sport so dont need/want other elements like power/endurance which could also conflict with strength gains.

i just would like to know if alternating ONLY strength/hypertrophy phases was a good idea??? Has anyone tried this???

nb/ with a weeks rest in between each phase to prevent overtraining/injury

you lost me at “moderate intensity”

“Periodization” = When you go to the gym even more often as it’s your girlfriends time-of-the-month

[quote]hitman12345 wrote:
hey guys im coming back from a shoulder injury and my main goals are to add strength/size this year. i was planning to periodize my training focusing on alternating strength/hypertrophy phase.

specifically 2 months ( hypertrophy 6-12 reps, 1min rest break, higher vol, moderate intenisty
then 1 week rest
followed by 2months strength ( 1-5reps, 2-3min rest break, lower volume, moderate intensity) and keep alternating…

im just focusing on building my physique back up this year, no playing rugby so not so much a need for other elements (such as power, endurance) normally incorporated into a periodized marcocycle.

i just would like to know if alternating strength/hypertrophy phases was a good idea? will it increase my likelihood of re injury? would this be ok on a yearly plan as these are the two main focuses i wish to work on

thanks for your help[/quote]
******** While alternating strength and hypertrophy cycles can work neglecting other abilities will not result in the best progress and potentially injure you. Circulatory abilities and connective tissue that support hypertrophy need development. Stages of long duration isometric holds and/or high reps(30-50) will develop these capacities and give the body a much needed rest.

but if my main goals are for size/mass why would i include power/endurance training? wouldnt that obviously conflict with maximal strength development?

rather would it be ok just to include a weeks rest?? after each phase of hypertrophy or strength. May to decrease chance of overtraining/injury?

thanks

I read once that Jay Cutler trains this way…except every two weeks.

First two weeks: hypertrophy
Second two weeks: strength
Third 2: circuit training/metobolic conditioning
4th 2: power
5th 2: muscular endurance
6th 2: hypertrophy again
7th 2: rest (so he doesn’t get injured)

thats intresting, i understamd that you need give your body some rest but im not sure why i would incorporate endurance and power in wouldnt they conflict with strength/mass gains? so its kind of like your cycling your “progress” so to speak

would it completely derail your goals if you add some cleans?

No.

not saying power training would derail my gains i use to do a 4 day split with 3 hypertrophy days and one power day and got great results from that.

im just specifically thinking “endurance” training with high rep will derail some my strength gains. I know some of the muscle is slow fibres/some fast so to maximise growth need to target different training methods. But to me if u were training for endurance your fast switch fibres would atrophy to a degree.

and since HYPERTROPHY and STRENGTH are my main goals is there any point using this type of training?

i was thinking something like this:
4 weeks strength
4 weeks hypertrophy/power(using 4 day split 3 hypertrophy days, 1 power)
1 week rest

repeat.

what you guys think of this program???

Strength leads to hypertrophy
Hypertrophy leads to strength

Do NOT overthink it, just lift.

[quote]DeltaOne wrote:
Strength leads to hypertrophy
Hypertrophy leads to strength

Do NOT overthink it, just lift.[/quote]

x2. Paralysis analysis is the easiest trap to fall into.

Dude, I was messin’ with ya. Jay cutler trains like a bodybuilder all year round. The point I was getting at was that you can’t compartmentalize the different effects of training. In any intelligent program you are improving strength, size, endurance, and power all the time. Check out the routines here:

haha cheers bro

Try conjugate periodization. This involves performing the different phases on a weekly basis rather than monthly or so forth. For example, You could do two strength and two hypertrophy workout’s a week. This will prevent you from the de-training effect generally associated with periodization whilst still providing sufficient stimulus to both components

this thread sucks.

[quote]lowey20 wrote:
Try conjugate periodization. This involves performing the different phases on a weekly basis rather than monthly or so forth. For example, You could do two strength and two hypertrophy workout’s a week. This will prevent you from the de-training effect generally associated with periodization whilst still providing sufficient stimulus to both components [/quote]

Maybe you should try periodized copulation? Spend the first week getting laid as much as possible to provide sufficient stimulus to the hormonal system. The following three weeks reduce the frequency to maintenance levels. The first phase drives up testosterone production and the remainder of the month you can capitalize on it with strength and hypertrophy gains.

Repeat as needed.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]lowey20 wrote:
Try conjugate periodization. This involves performing the different phases on a weekly basis rather than monthly or so forth. For example, You could do two strength and two hypertrophy workout’s a week. This will prevent you from the de-training effect generally associated with periodization whilst still providing sufficient stimulus to both components [/quote]

Maybe you should try periodized copulation? Spend the first week getting laid as much as possible to provide sufficient stimulus to the hormonal system. The following three weeks reduce the frequency to maintenance levels. The first phase drives up testosterone production and the remainder of the month you can capitalize on it with strength and hypertrophy gains.

Repeat as needed.[/quote]
:slight_smile: That made me laugh, but conjugate periodization is a valid method. Periodized copulation sounds like fun though…