Cycling Smolov Jr and 5/3/1 for presses

Has anyone tried cycling these two programs specifically for pressing movements? I’m thinking something like this:

Month 1 Smolov Jr Bench
Month 2 5/3/1
Month 3 5/3/1
Month 4 5/3/1
Month 5 Smolov Jr OHP (or Bench again)
Month 6 5/3/1
Month 7 5/3/1
Month 8 5/3/1

Repeat.

Let us know how your shoulders feel after smolov jr OHP

[quote]xneverbackdown wrote:
Let us know how your shoulders feel after smolov jr OHP[/quote]

I just finished that exact program today.

The shoulder pain is just starting to kick in now, but I’m glad it’s ending when it is. Lots of clicking and popping.

I imagine it would be a fair amount worse for someone who isn’t incredibly weak though.

Strange that people have shoulder issues for pressing. It’s the contrary for me, benching gives me shoulder issues whereas I can train press with high frequency and intensity without any problems. Benching on the other hand, 1 week heavy session and I can feel discomforts already.

Doh do you bench with a narrow grip? I just finished a Smolov bench cycle and I think that + rotator cuff movements helped me feel good. I tuck my elbows a good amount and then flare them as the weight moves up.

After even one heavy wide grip session my shoulders will ache and have actually subluxed in the week following

I use a narrow grip for both bench press and OHP. Might give up OHP entirely though, don’t know if it is worth the potential injury risk since I won’t be competing in anything that involves it ever.

[quote]Doh wrote:
Strange that people have shoulder issues for pressing. It’s the contrary for me, benching gives me shoulder issues whereas I can train press with high frequency and intensity without any problems. Benching on the other hand, 1 week heavy session and I can feel discomforts already.[/quote]

Shoulder issues in benching can be cause by not keeping your elbows tucked enough.

It think the main shoulder issue in OHP is caused by the fact that each rep is also a front delt raise. To see what I mean, just do the exact same motion you do for OHP, but keep your arms straight the whole time. The shoulder movement in it is a full ROM front raise which ends with your shoulders at the very limit of their ROM. That puts a lot of strain on them.

I bench with a relatively narrow grip, if I ever bench. 90% of the time I’m doing close grip bench press so elbows tucked all the time. If I’m not doing flats with CGBP, it would be incline bench.