T Nation

Cycling Off Pre-workout?

I’ve been taking preworkouts for about the last 8 months or so and what I usually do is take it 2-3 times a week (I workout 5-6 times a week depending on the split I’m doing at the time) and I do that until I finish the PWO tub and then I wait about 7-10 days before starting the new one. I see a lot of people recommend taking a month or so off at a time. Should I be cycling off for longer or is 7-10 days enough considering only taking it 2-3 times per week? Or is it even necessary at all?

I found switching brands would help keep them somewhat working. Eventually I got to the point where they didn’t do anything and I was consuming large amounts of caffeine throughout the day with no effect. Switched to stim free pre and cut out ALL caffeine except the very occasional Coke Zero out to eat.
I’m not back to drinking a red bull here and there, sugar free small one, but pre workout is still stim free.

Idk about cycling off and on, but I’m sure a little break won’t hurt and may make them work better for you in the future.

It’s really just caffeine. Nothing else in any of the current generation of pre work outs occurs in amounts to be effective or in any way meaningful.