Cycling Max Lifts On WS4SB

Well, from the amount of time i’ve been lifting, at least from what i’ve seen, is that when I go from flat benching for a few weeks, it increases. then, if i substitute that for say dips (as ws4sb templates suggest every 2-3 weeks), i find that when i come back to the bench, it has almost gone back down near where i started the first 3 weeks with bench. I’ve always wondered if i could just do 3 weeks flat bb bench, then do 3 weeks of floor presses or rack lockouts, then come back to 3 weeks flat bb bench, then 3 weeks of floor presses or rack lockouts, then once again back to flat bb bench and so forth.

The only reason I’ve ever been hesitant to do this is because I figure it’s almost the same movement, only a different part of it. It seems this would make one stall too, but maybe I’m wrong and it can be done if one wants. basically it comes down to I don’t want to spin my wheels anymore going back to near similar bench press reps after leaving the bench for 3 weeks, and would rather spend some time working on the actual bench movement itself to really up my numbers. So, is my suggested plan fine, or no?

yes you can even slight changes like grip is enough of a change to get a response. You donty have to go drastic keep the Big moves for the first ME do dis etc as a second

VP

Yes, any change is all you need. Lockouts, Floor Presses, Inclines, Declines, Close Grips, Chains, Bands, Reverse Bands, etc.

If something isn’t working for you, then continuing to do it is spinning your wheels.

I’d keep a pressing movement as your first movement. Find our where you stall, and pick a movement that will help address that.

Move dips to your supplemental lift, and change rep ranges with that by adding weight, decreasing weight, or repping out…also change body lean to change the exercise a bit.

The secret to any Westside program is changing the exercises to suit your needs, not just following a program that someone else laid out.

As the other guys said. Dips probably won’t be helping you out too much for your ME.

You just have to change the stimulus slightly. So floor presses, inclines and etc are good changes.

I prefer a recommendation that Joe DeFranco made on the EliteFTS Q&A section a while back. He recommended performing a full movement such as flat bench presses for 2-3 weeks and then switching to something with less range of motion for 2-3 weeks (floor presses or 2/3 board presses) and then back to full motion such as incline presses or close-grip benches. Repeat.

hey guys i got a quick question … on the ws4sb III it says after i do my ME excersize (which today was close grip incline bench) that i do 2 sets of max reps on either flat or incline dumbbell bnch … now in ws4sb II it says after the me exrsize to perform 3-4 sets 8-10 reps on either flt or incline dumbbell bench … can i do both like for 2 weeks after the me excersize do 2 sets max reps then the next 2 weeks for 3-4 sets o 8-10 reps? just thinking …

I’ve never heard of using Dips as a ME replacement for benching. The ME exercises are supposed to mimic a bench but not be a bench press. So various pressing movements will work.

[quote]SprinterOne wrote:
I’ve never heard of using Dips as a ME replacement for benching. The ME exercises are supposed to mimic a bench but not be a bench press. So various pressing movements will work.[/quote]

Read the suggestions for ME lift on upper body day from WS4SB. He has it listed as one of the options.

[quote]remixpaul wrote:
hey guys i got a quick question … on the ws4sb III it says after i do my ME excersize (which today was close grip incline bench) that i do 2 sets of max reps on either flat or incline dumbbell bnch … now in ws4sb II it says after the me exrsize to perform 3-4 sets 8-10 reps on either flt or incline dumbbell bench … can i do both like for 2 weeks after the me excersize do 2 sets max reps then the next 2 weeks for 3-4 sets o 8-10 reps? just thinking …[/quote]

Yes, you can do that.

[quote]lifter85 wrote:
SprinterOne wrote:
I’ve never heard of using Dips as a ME replacement for benching. The ME exercises are supposed to mimic a bench but not be a bench press. So various pressing movements will work.

Read the suggestions for ME lift on upper body day from WS4SB. He has it listed as one of the options.[/quote]

Yes, but it may not be specific enough for you. You might just need to stick to movements that are closer to the Bench Press.

Are your tri’s your weakness? If not, then dips surely aren’t the answer. If they are, you may be better off with close grips, JM presses, rack lockouts, etc.

I think dips are a great exercise, but imo ME dips are a shoulder injury waiting to happen. Obviously they work for some, but I’d use them as a secondary movement.

[quote]lifter85 wrote:
SprinterOne wrote:

Read the suggestions for ME lift on upper body day from WS4SB. He has it listed as one of the options.[/quote]

Yes, but it may not be specific enough for you. You might just need to stick to movements that are closer to the Bench Press.

Are your tri’s your weakness? If not, then dips surely aren’t the answer. If they are, you may be better off with close grips, JM presses, rack lockouts, etc.

I think dips are a great exercise, but imo ME dips are a shoulder injury waiting to happen. Obviously they work for some, but I’d use them as a secondary movement.