Cycling for Massive Quads

Hahaha…great story :slight_smile:

1 Like

There are some cyclists that have absolutely huge quads, however these are not built by doin anything remotely like

Look at the extremes of what you intend to look at which direction the adaptive stimulus will take you. No going for a jog wont make you look like a marathon runner, but that is the direction of the stimulus and the more you do that the more your training stimulus will pull you that way. In the same way training like a bodybuilder won’t make you look like Mr Olympia, but thats the direction of the stimulus (bigger muscles).

Long distance cyclists dont have big quads, in fact they look like the aforementioned marathon runners in most instances. I don’t think anyone is looking at bradly wiggins and thinking damn, those quads.

The very short distance sprint cyclists however, yes they have massive quads. They also spend a lot of time doing front squats and leg press and when they are on a bike its for sub 60 second maximum intensity work.

5 Likes

Now That dude can justifiably start a thread about having a hard time finding pants that fit right.

8 Likes

I suspect he doesnt own any clothing that isn’t made of lycra.

That could get wierd at times. Kids birthdays & stuff.

Not that I know or anything. I have all kinds of pants.

I do hill sprints/pump stuff on the street in front of my house though.

It’s pretty good but my legs/quads are meh.

1 Like

I’m always curious at former performance athletes who switch over to physique sports. I believe Cathy LeFrancious (sp?) was a skater before getting into bodybuilding?

Famously Mike Katz played pro football, and any others anyone can think of,… just makes me look at their early physique photos and see if there’s any standout points that can be attributable to their chosen sports.

S

hate to say it, but …calves… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Yeah. Her legs are, I don’t even know.

I remember earlier shots of her, and her legs and calves were indeed standouts to the rest of her physique.

S

Phenomenal. That’s a word I’d use I couldn’t think of.

It took most of her career for everything else to catch up.

Fosterman is a monster!

I was watching a documentary about some female track cyclist a few years back. They have an interview with her coach and the video flips over to the weights room as he’s talking. She is in a power rack, has a barbell on her back, 3 blue plates, squatting…

… split squats that is lol

I think the answer is yes, they lift weights

1 Like

FWIW, my legs grow during ski season and shrink during mtb season. My knee pads juuuust barely fit when I go for a ride mid winter, but in late summer and fall they strap up easily.

It’s very rare for me to not have enough leg strength to pedal, it’s almost always aerobically failing… Because at the end of the day, the most power you are able to put into the pedals is a little more than a bodyweight stepup. So fairly light weight, just super high repd. Skiing on the other hand has much greater forces acting on your legs.

So wut ur saying is that BB’s got it wrong and should be skiing for ginormous wheels?/???//? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: