T Nation

Cycling across America

Next April i am cycling across America. So i have to do a lot of cardio so that i am readY. However since i have started at the gym in order to get fitter i have also been commited to a total body workout 3 days a week for 2 months. I have gained about 4 kg and weigh 71 kg at 6ft.
Anyway i want to grow bigger, muscle wise but seeing as i have to do cardio i can’t go on a bulking diet so the article ‘The Truth About Bulking:
Is bulking up to gain muscle a good idea?
by Christian Thibaudeau’ really really interested me. According to him i would need to eat about 3100 cals a day to increase musle mass but stay at 10% body fat. As i am doing lots of cardio how many calories do i actually need to eat to do this?
Thanks in advance for your help,

Dave

I know a kid who rode his bike across the country. He was an incredible athlete in track as well as cycling.

I dont know what your situation is, but IMO a bulk now would only be useless since the extra weight will hamper your ‘performance’ to ride across the country. Not only that, but 2 months of long cardio everyday will most likely diminish all of the gains you make.

That aside, if I were you, I’d concentrate on your aerobic capacity and muscle endurance.

Good luck.

PS… what kind of bike are you going to be doing it on?

Might as well bulk up now and ignore the cardio if you want any mass when you are done with your trip.

Probably really does not matter what you do.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
I know a kid who rode his bike across the country. He was an incredible athlete in track as well as cycling.

I dont know what your situation is, but IMO a bulk now would only be useless since the extra weight will hamper your ‘performance’ to ride across the country. Not only that, but 2 months of long cardio everyday will most likely diminish all of the gains you make.

That aside, if I were you, I’d concentrate on your aerobic capacity and muscle endurance.

Good luck.

PS… what kind of bike are you going to be doing it on?[/quote]

I’m doing it on a touring bike a Thorn (best touring bikes in the world made in England)
the reason i want to bulk up now is because i will lose about 2 stone (that’s with a daily calorie intake of about 8000)doing it and i’m not going to gain that much wait before then. The max i would be able to put on would be about 2kg. To do this how many calories would i need to do- considering that i would use up about 500 in a session and do it 4- 5 days a week. Would i need to eat 3100 + 500 every day.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:

Good luck.

PS… what kind of bike are you going to be doing it on?[/quote]

A touring bike, a Thorn bike- the best touring bikes in the world made in England.
The thing is by the time i get back i will have lost about 2 stone (i will eat about 8000 cals per day) so i want to put on some weight now (not in fat) According to the article i should eat 3100 cals per day so seeing as i cycle 4 days a week currently, using up about 500 cals each time should i eat 3600 cals per day in order to stick to his program? Would this work

I knew this guy that one day got on his bike and rode across canada for no reason (Ont to BC). He just woke up and started riding. He took a tent, some clothes, some food and some money. Along the way he would do odd jobs for food/money. He ended up in BC and got a job in a bike shop.So Forest Gump style.

I apologise for posting a similar post twice. Anyway does anybody have any answers?