T Nation

Cyclical Bulking

Have anything on cyclical bulking / cutting phases?

This would be based on your goals:

1. If you want to lose fat, eat less calories than you use.

2. If you want to gain muscle, eat more calories than you use.

Kinda need more information about where you currently are to give specific information.

I wouldn't say I'm overweight by any means , been bulking a little too long
per say. I'm 48 started out at 130lbs been in the gym for around 2 years ,
I'm up to around 165-170 lbs & have a bit of a gut , mostly from over
bulking I believe, have never really done a cutting phase , have been
trying to pack on some weight.i also don't do a lot of core , but I do try
& keep it activated while doing other excersizes

I wouldn't say I'm overweight by any means , been bulking a little too long per say. I'm 48 started out at 130lbs been in the gym for around 2 years , I'm up to around 165-170 lbs & have a bit of a gut , mostly from over bulking I believe, have never really done a cutting phase , have been trying to pack on some weight.i also don't do a lot of core , but I do try & keep it activated while doing other excersizes ..my real question I guess would be what length of time for a bulking stage & a time for cutting..& what supplements could you recommend for cutting

How tall are you?
What was your diet like while bulking?
How many calories per day did you consume, while bulking?
What's your training like?
What's your goal?

Do you know where your body fat sits currently? I would recommend slowly decreasing you calories to start with. Fat loss is not going to happen (at least not long term) if you don't have your diet in check. Make sure you get adequate micro nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. Once you begin to drop to a body fat level you are more comfortable with, implement a fat burner to help with more stubborn fat. There are many on the market, do your research on some fat burning ingredients and take a look at either online supplements or in a supp shop.

I'm 5ft 9 , my diet has not been great , but getting better as I go, I'm not rich so I have eat what I can when I can , I don't really monitor it like I should .my lifestyles a little hectic lol.. When I last checked my body fat was at around 14 % that was a few months ago when I switched gyms & my training regiment . I was doing a more all over body work out , now I'm training diff muscle groups in different days..my first goal was to hit that 170 mark in which I did , now I'd like to hit 185 over winter if possible , like I said I'm old 48 & I'll be 49 come feb , & I've always been a skinny kid , high metabolism & abit if a hardgainer

Clean up your diet, add some conditioning and at 50, I prefer full body three times a week.

I still prefer Plazma. 3 scoops a week and 2 scoops of Mag-10 (for conditioning) goes a long way.

Stop thinking bulking and cutting and whatever else. Eat right for your goal.

This is cheap, clean and effective...

For training try one of these -will add mass while keeping you lean...
https://www.t-nation.com/training/sob-training

https://www.t-nation.com/training/10-secrets-to-building-mass

Nice thanks that's what I could use right there

your 48... dont bulk. Your going to find it harder at your age to remove the excess Body fat you might pick up from bulking . A young guy in his teens and 20 something can get away with it but not older guys IMO ESPECIALLY over 40 (FYI I am over 40 myself). Out of the 40 lbs you gained in two years do you have any idea on how much of it was lean and how much of it was Body Fat? As for gaining 15 lbs over the winter I am having a hard time not thinking that it will be mostly Body fat gain myself. But that is just my opinion.

This is probably one of the biggest misconceptions. I have found that eating clean can be less expensive than eating crap. I survived college eating the following, on a part time retail job:

My favorite protein sources that are inexpensive:
Ground Pork/Turkey/Beef
Beef/Pork Roasts
Eggs
Chicken
Tilapia

My favorite Carb sources that are inexpensive:
Rice (white or brown)
Sweet Potatoes
Whole Wheat pasta

My favorite fat sources that are inexpensive:
Butter
Olive/coconut/avocado oil
avocados
nuts

Toss in lots of veggies and you're golden. If you get a crock pot and rice cooker you can some of the best meals.