T Nation

Cycle 5 Bench/Press Dropping FSL for Jokers?

Jim, Going onto cycle 5 in 2 weeks for my bench/press and the plan is to do jokers on 3 and 1 week before resetting back 3, should i be dropping the fsl work in this cycle? Your advice on planning cycles has worked wonders. Thankyou and sorry about your friend.

[quote]Shaun87 wrote:
Jim, Going onto cycle 5 in 2 weeks for my bench/press and the plan is to do jokers on 3 and 1 week before resetting back 3, should i be dropping the fsl work in this cycle? Your advice on planning cycles has worked wonders. Thankyou and sorry about your friend. [/quote]

Thanks, I appreciate it.

IN GENERAL, towards the end of the “5”, we use a couple jokers but keep the FSL to about 15-20 total reps, done in 3-4 sets or so (bar speed). Many times, we cut out the jokers and go for PR’s as we have found it better, in the long run, to getting stronger.

Unless I have a PL here, it’s really pointless to do 1RM. If someone is not a competitive PL, we may do some jokers but NEVER do 1RM or anything close. It seems to work as even on Tuesday, we had a guy lose 30lbs and still sets PR’s on all lifts. We have done some cool things with losing fat and getting stronger but that is a whole other subject.

The point is, pick the right tool for YOUR job. If you aren’t a competitive PL and want to get strong as fuck, in shape, etc. you have to do what is necessary for your goals, not what gets you “cred” on message boards.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:

[quote]Shaun87 wrote:
Jim, Going onto cycle 5 in 2 weeks for my bench/press and the plan is to do jokers on 3 and 1 week before resetting back 3, should i be dropping the fsl work in this cycle? Your advice on planning cycles has worked wonders. Thankyou and sorry about your friend. [/quote]

Thanks, I appreciate it.

IN GENERAL, towards the end of the “5”, we use a couple jokers but keep the FSL to about 15-20 total reps, done in 3-4 sets or so (bar speed). Many times, we cut out the jokers and go for PR’s as we have found it better, in the long run, to getting stronger.

Unless I have a PL here, it’s really pointless to do 1RM. If someone is not a competitive PL, we may do some jokers but NEVER do 1RM or anything close. It seems to work as even on Tuesday, we had a guy lose 30lbs and still sets PR’s on all lifts. We have done some cool things with losing fat and getting stronger but that is a whole other subject.

The point is, pick the right tool for YOUR job. If you aren’t a competitive PL and want to get strong as fuck, in shape, etc. you have to do what is necessary for your goals, not what gets you “cred” on message boards.[/quote]

Thanks jim, Yeah i have found just the 531 or 5 pro and fsl work to be better than singles/jokers or whatever like you have said before so is there a need to even do them if competing in PL? Hope to get to a meet early next year

[quote]Shaun87 wrote:

Thanks, I appreciate it.

The point is, pick the right tool for YOUR job. If you aren’t a competitive PL and want to get strong as fuck, in shape, etc. you have to do what is necessary for your goals, not what gets you “cred” on message boards.[/quote]
Jim, How often would you be doing 1rm if you had a PL? 3 and 1 weeks as per 351 for pl book? Just curious thanks mate.

[quote]Shaun87 wrote:

[quote]Shaun87 wrote:

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Jim, How often would you be doing 1rm if you had a PL? 3 and 1 weeks as per 351 for pl book? Just curious thanks mate.
[/quote]

I honestly don’t really work with any PL any more - so nothing I’m too concerned about. Maybe a 1-2 times a month, bar speed 100% great. This is only during the appropriate cycle. We use 5 forward/3 back and only use Jokers for 2 of 10 cycles.

People get stronger here, using the exact same programs as you see.

We train high school kids, dudes that want to be fucking great and we are pushing my new conditioning/strength training combo to new levels. Always evolve.

We have done some cool things with losing fat and getting stronger but that is a whole other subject.
[/quote]

I, for one, would read as much as you would write about this subject.

[quote]JoshRutherford wrote:

We have done some cool things with losing fat and getting stronger but that is a whole other subject.
[/quote]

I, for one, would read as much as you would write about this subject.[/quote]

No kidding. Future article or e-book?